• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    This topic gets asked about during classes, so I figured I would post about it. In many families Dad is seen as the protector, but the protector can only protect when he is around. The reality is that Mom is the one who is always hauling kids around.

Moms are always going to be the #1 protector of the kids simply because of the amount of time they have them. Self-defense skills are great, but even the good ones are more for protecting yourself and maybe other adults, not kids who are going to be a hindrance during any altercation, instead of an asset.

The first things for Mom has to be mindset, and the mindset needs to be that you are a bodyguard. When we hear bodyguard we think of a highly trained guy protecting someone by force. The truth is, and any bodyguard will tell you, is that if they have to use force at all they view it as a failure. Their two biggest tools are Awareness, and Avoidance, not Aggression. Making a habit out of the first two is a good thing, making a habit out of the latter is not.

The things a Mom with kids needs to be safe are time, space, and movement. As hard as it can be, that means giving you extra time. For example, when going for a doctor’s appointment, give yourself some extra time to circle the parking lot. By doing so, there is a good chance that you may find a parking space closer or in a more populated area. That means less ground cover with the kids which equals less exposure, or less chance of being approached because of witnesses.

The number one key to survival is the ability to move away from a threat. This means if you are holding a little one, or have one by the hand, and for some reason feel confined or that your movement is otherwise being restricted, make a habit out of moving. Never put yourself in a position where you are boxed in. For example, when you take the kids to a restaurant, do your best to always sit close to an exit, especially one that you can see where it leads to. At the first sign of a threat, grab your kids and get out.

Now for the big one, putting kids in car seats. During daylight is less of an issue to park around other cars, but at night it provides cover for criminals. You want to remove someone’s ability to sneak up on you while you have your back turned buckling in the kids. If possible, try to park in such a way that you are not surrounded by other vehicles. When the situation dictates, you should always have a flashlight to look around the perimeter of your vehicle to see if anyone is around or in it before you approach. Another sound habit is to hit your panic alarm for a few seconds. This can get a would be bad guy to leave, while at the same time attracting witnesses to you. It is good to be heard and seen. Take a look around, knowing how long it takes you to get the kids settled in the car, how close is the nearest cover for a bad guy to sneak up on you?

Put your older kids in the car first and tell them to be the eyes in the back of your head. They can let you know if anyone is walking up behind you. This is also a good life habit for them.

As for the aggression part of the equation, that is something Mothers are born with. Just remember that you don’t want to fight the attacker, you want to stop the attack. Because of the kids, it is likely not an option for you to run away, or if you do it will take time. Your counter attack must overwhelm, shock, and stun the attacker. The best way to do this is by attacking the face with your hands or hopefully something like a pen or flashlight. Do your best to smash the eyes, nose, and mouth with repeated strikes. If the opportunity presents itself, use your instep to scrape down their shin before stomping the bottom of your foot onto the top of theirs. If you have the opportunity to slam a door on them, or smash their head into a vehicle or wall, do so and do it repeatedly until you can safely get away.

In most cases, it is not the kids they want, you will be targeted because they know you are distracted by the kids. You need to realize that you are the last line of defense and that if you get knocked out, or removed, your kids will be alone or unprotected.

Remember 911 is for reporting an emergency, not preventing one, that is up to you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Put your older kids in the car first and tell them to be the eyes in the back of your head. They can let you know if anyone is walking up behind you. This is also a good life habit for them.

I like this. :yesway:

gthorne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Lafayette area
    This topic gets asked about during classes, so I figured I would post about it.

I see you're in PA so not sure if you'll know or not but are there classes in IN, specifically the Lafayette area, that are geared toward women's self defense? Maybe with firearms as part of the class but not the focus. My wife took the RAD class with Purdue Univ. PD a couple of years ago which she had good things to say about. Now that she carries more of the time a class with training firearms (blue guns) integrated into the hands on scenarios would be good.

I'm going to pass this along to her.......thanks.

gthorne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Lafayette area

Shelly1582

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great....thanks for the link.

This makes me skittish every time I have to do this. Especially when parked next to another car.

It's not the easiest to do but I like to put the kids in, shut the door, and then lean over the seat to buckle them in with the car doors shut and locked. Hurts my back but if I'm feeling a bad vibe I'll manage it.

When walking in a dark parking lot I used to place my longest key sticking out of my fist, and always look alert.

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    Great post! Ill have to pass this on to my girlfriend. We don't have kids but probably will in the future.

I also always back into a parking spot to make a quick escape much easier. I'm starting to make some progress with her doing the same.

Krainw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks for the post! It is important to think this stuff out before it's needed. Hopefully it never is, but at least you've thought out what to do if you do need it. I have 6 kids. I always have them get in and put my purse in and close the doors as soon as we reach the vehicle. While loading in any purchases, I keep my back as much as possible to the vehicle and glance around through the vehicle windows each time I turn momentarily to put something in. I also make a habit of letting those who pass by me notice that I see them. Nothing big, just a seconds acknowledgment of their presence. I feel better knowing that my kids are all in. If I feel like something is up, I can hop in and drive away. I can replace a couple hundred dollars worth of groceries, but I can't drive off and leave my kids. I have also taught my older children to help the littles into their carseats. When I get in I can quickly check that they are properly fastened with the doors locked.

gthorne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Lafayette area
    I also make a habit of letting those who pass by me notice that I see them. Nothing big, just a seconds acknowledgment of their presence.

I do this as well. It's amazing how many people are either so focused on what they are doing that they don't know I'm looking at them or they purposely won't make eye contact. It's not like I'm glaring....I smile at people....:)

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks for the post. My children spend about 50% of their time with my ex-wife. Luckily we still get along very well. I will share this with her and feel much better about the times when i'm not there.

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    The biggest thing is to make sure the kids are familiar and "used" to firearms. They also need to know and practice when to be quiet and when to take cover. Have distress word practices so that the "kids" do not become a risk or target should a parent take action.

Preparation is Key.

cheryl1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    West Central Indiana
    Don't forget safety when Mom arrives back home with the kids. It's easy to let your guard down when you and the kids are exhausted and glad to be home. However, walking in on a burglary in progress is extremely dangerous. When my house was robbed, my oldest was 4. I had the habit of leaving the kids in the car while I opened up the house first. Thankfully they had already left, but I didn't miss them by much. The muddy footprint on my door was still wet from where the robbers had kicked it in. Now that my oldest is 9, she often is ahead of me, unlocking the house for the rest of us. She knows that if anything is amiss with the door or windows, she is to turn and RUN back to the car, yelling at the top of her lungs. (We've practiced this a few times-tons of fun:)

Molly Belle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    This topic gets asked about during classes, so I figured I would post about it. In many families Dad is seen as the protector, but the protector can only protect when he is around. The reality is that Mom is the one who is always hauling kids around.

Moms are always going to be the #1 protector of the kids simply because of the amount of time they have them. Self-defense skills are great, but even the good ones are more for protecting yourself and maybe other adults, not kids who are going to be a hindrance during any altercation, instead of an asset.

The first things for Mom has to be mindset, and the mindset needs to be that you are a bodyguard. When we hear bodyguard we think of a highly trained guy protecting someone by force. The truth is, and any bodyguard will tell you, is that if they have to use force at all they view it as a failure. Their two biggest tools are Awareness, and Avoidance, not Aggression. Making a habit out of the first two is a good thing, making a habit out of the latter is not.

The things a Mom with kids needs to be safe are time, space, and movement. As hard as it can be, that means giving you extra time. For example, when going for a doctor’s appointment, give yourself some extra time to circle the parking lot. By doing so, there is a good chance that you may find a parking space closer or in a more populated area. That means less ground cover with the kids which equals less exposure, or less chance of being approached because of witnesses.

The number one key to survival is the ability to move away from a threat. This means if you are holding a little one, or have one by the hand, and for some reason feel confined or that your movement is otherwise being restricted, make a habit out of moving. Never put yourself in a position where you are boxed in. For example, when you take the kids to a restaurant, do your best to always sit close to an exit, especially one that you can see where it leads to. At the first sign of a threat, grab your kids and get out.

Now for the big one, putting kids in car seats. During daylight is less of an issue to park around other cars, but at night it provides cover for criminals. You want to remove someone’s ability to sneak up on you while you have your back turned buckling in the kids. If possible, try to park in such a way that you are not surrounded by other vehicles. When the situation dictates, you should always have a flashlight to look around the perimeter of your vehicle to see if anyone is around or in it before you approach. Another sound habit is to hit your panic alarm for a few seconds. This can get a would be bad guy to leave, while at the same time attracting witnesses to you. It is good to be heard and seen. Take a look around, knowing how long it takes you to get the kids settled in the car, how close is the nearest cover for a bad guy to sneak up on you?

As for the aggression part of the equation, that is something Mothers are born with. Just remember that you don’t want to fight the attacker, you want to stop the attack. Because of the kids, it is likely not an option for you to run away, or if you do it will take time. Your counter attack must overwhelm, shock, and stun the attacker. The best way to do this is by attacking the face with your hands or hopefully something like a pen or flashlight. Do your best to smash the eyes, nose, and mouth with repeated strikes. If the opportunity presents itself, use your instep to scrape down their shin before stomping the bottom of your foot onto the top of theirs. If you have the opportunity to slam a door on them, or smash their head into a vehicle or wall, do so and do it repeatedly until you can safely get away.

In most cases, it is not the kids they want, you will be targeted because they know you are distracted by the kids. You need to realize that you are the last line of defense and that if you get knocked out, or removed, your kids will be alone or unprotected.

Remember 911 is for reporting an emergency, not preventing one, that is up to you.

Yes, Yes, and Yes! Awesome post! As a Stay at Home, Homeschooling Mom I'm always with my kids and these things are always on my mind. A Mom (or Dad) has so much more to protect than just herself.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Agreed, and Dad might be in charge of field operations, Mom is the Commander of the Garrison.- George

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    My older children were taught how to put younger siblings in car seats, which they can do from inside the car. That leaves me free to keep aware of surroundings. None of mine are very observant ( not for lack of trying to teach them), and are easily distracted, so it is better to have them do a job they are capable of, and let me guard.

Top Bottom