• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I wanted to get a discussion going on what weapon set up you feel is most beneficial in a SHTF situation...

1. Wide array of guns and calibers. (Example 9, .40, .45, .357, .38, 12g, 5.56, etc)

2. Two or max three calibers but different platforms that use them. (Example: couple ARs in 5.56, 12 gauge, a couple pistols in 9mm)

Now obviously as a gun lover you probably have a tons of different guns anyway...but I'm just talking about whats best for SHTF. I had a couple of different thoughts on this but wanted to open a discussion on it. Here's a couple of quick pros and cons I came up for each set up:

For set up 1...

Pros:

-versatility of carry methods, and applications for different size guns/calibers.
    -If you come across ammo while on the move the more calibers your have the more likely you will be able to use what you find.
    -ability to arm members of group.

Cons:

-more stuff to slow you down.
    -more money to invest in stocking multiple calibers.
    -more parts kits you have to buy.

For set up 2...

Pros:

-couple parts kits can take care of business.
    -less of a variety of ammo to stock.
    -easier to move with less.
    -able to focus attention on becoming proficient with just a few weapons.

Cons:

-cant arm members of group.
    -less likely you will come across ammo you can use.
    -you could find yourself in a situation you really wish you had another gun (like having a pistol and shotgun but needed a long range rifle, etc.

These are just a couple things that come to top of my head. Please feel free to add to the discussion!

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Something close, something long range, and a shotgun!

Shotgun: Can hunt, defend, breaching tool in urban environments, lots of 12/20ga ammo commonly available that you can trade and barter for. They are also easy to clean and keep up.

Pistol: Small and light, easy to keep on your person at all times. Good for CQB and clearing urban dwellings if ever forced to forrage.

Rifle: Long Range, good for hunting, optics can be used to assess threats from a-far, can provide over-watch, no need to pack extra optics in BOB, great for scouting new camp areas or when looking for resources.

I have a fair amount of people in my party, so I have a lot of hands that can carry lots of stuff. (5 BOBs in all.) One person will have the rifle and rifle ammo, everyone else gets their own pistol and some ammo. All pistols are mainly same caliber with exception of a P22. The shotgun is in a scabbard on my pack, so it's easy to move with, and the pistol is on my hip. We're a pretty well armed group of campers.

Last edited:

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I thought I was the only person who couldn't come to an easy solution to this conundrum.

It's debatable, but I'd consolidate, and I've thought about this quite a bit (I have way too much free time). Not much more than 9mm, 12ga, 22lr, .223, and a larger rifle caliber like 30-06 or 308. Those are the basics. Possibly toss in a larger handgun caliber. But stocking say 9mm, 380, 38, 357, and 40 just seems a bit too redundant. Most of these rounds are ballistically similar for their intended purpose, and in an SHTF scenario, certain purposes become less important. Concealment for example (goodbye 380 pocket pistol).

Divide by intended purpose, not specific caliber. Look at each purpose, and pick the most common round that is sufficient.

Training - 22
    Self defense (single zombie) - 9mm
    Self defense (multiple zombies) - 12ga or .223
    Small game - 22
    Large game - .308 or 30-06 or 30-30

On a side note, the 12ga is nice because of the versatility. With buckshot, birdshot, and slugs, you can cover multiple purposes.

If I wanted to invest a little more I'd still focus on a few calibers but keep just one spare in a few other calibers for whatever you come across. A spare 357/38, 40, 45 and 20ga added once you've got the basics down. Once you've done that, you're covered for a huge portion of the ammo floating around out there. Once you get to more uncommon calibers like .25 or .32 you're probably just having a little bit too much fun building your collection.

If you're consolidating on the most common calibers, most of what you would hypothetically come across is going to be in one of them, with each extra caliber spare being less useful than the last.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Yea my biggest concern is just that if I needed to long term bug out I would have trouble deciding what all to take. I find myself believing I would end up taking 30 different guns (if I had the means to...like still having use of my vehicle.) I have just put thought into taking it down to like 5-8 firearms and reinvesting the money from other guns on other things. Hmmmmm...

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    ^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

I've always gone the route of commonality of ammo. We all know that an unloaded weapon is an expensive paperweight, and in a SHTF scenario, a weapon without ammo is useless. I have built my collection on the types of ammo that I could find while savaging around, homes, stores ,police/sheriff stations, military, DHS, etc.

Based off this idea, I have a shotgun, small caliber rifle, high powered rifle, multiple pistols, and a couple of .22's.

Carrying all this firepower presents its own dilemma, but if I spread that weaponry around to my party, I should be able to use all of them effectively.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Yea my biggest concern is just that if I needed to long term bug out I would have trouble deciding what all to take. I find myself believing I would end up taking 30 different guns (if I had the means to...like still having use of my vehicle.) I have just put thought into taking it down to like 5-8 firearms and reinvesting the money from other guns on other things. Hmmmmm...

Yeah, like ammo.

I mean really, think about it, what's safer, spending $300 on an extra thousand rounds of ammo for your 9mm, or spending $300 on any random caliber gun just in case you happen to stumble upon a thousand rounds of ammo for it sitting in a box in the middle of the woods somewhere just waiting for you to scoop it up?

One of those is guaranteed, one is unlikely at best.

I can see the value of a couple of extras, but it's so low of a priority you could probably spend a hundred grand on more important things before you could justify allocating the money for it.

Mosin Mounts

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Southwest of Indianapolis
    I've been in similar discussions with friends. My comments here are not a reflection of my personal thoughts on this, I'm just throwing out some points made in the last discussion I was part of:

-regardless of your firearm & caliber choices, assuming you have a stockpile of ammo, what are the chances of you remaining alive (through fire-fights) long enough to shoot your last bullet?

-if you find ammo, you'll likely find guns: Assume you're most prepared than most people. By the time you need to go looking for ammo, the unprepared people will have already scavenged it all up. You wouldn't leave your ammo laying around, would you? You'd keep it on you, with you, or very well hidden. So, if you Do find ammo, it will likely be found with a gun (in someone's cold hands).

-if you do (by chance) find ammo that won't fit your guns, you can use it to barter for things you need or can use.

-if you do want to stick with the most common calibers likely to be found, they are .22lr, 9mm, .40sw, .223 rem, 7.62x39, 12 ga (according to resources)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Maybe define SHTF a bit, since there are different varieties.

Katrina, SF earthquake, tornado, etc. -- probably a side arm will suffice.

LA riot -- some of the Korean grocers defended their businesses with AR rifles.

War on American soil -- is it a good idea to be seen with a long gun? (The troops may shoot anyone who looks like an "insurgent.") Or are guns so normal in a war zone that nobody will blink twice?

General economic collapse -- personal protection + hunting. Of course, unless you live out in a sparsely populated area like Wyoming, within a week all the woods would be emptied of the critters. This seems more like the situation most people select firearms for.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I look at this discussion in layers. If its just me, one rifle capable of a reliably firing a 20rd, 30rd, or larger magazine accurately and on pistol that reliable and accurate. For me that's an AR & a glock, but that doesn't mean I would turn away an AK with an M&P or an SKS with an XD. Lots of great guns out there but for an individual I don't see carrying more than a rifle & pistol as being realistic.

All that changes with the more people you have with you. If you've got a sharpshooter in your team then you could be able to set one guy up as a long range scout/overwatch teamed up with a grunt. If you've got say two nlaster types of guys with as/an/SKS or whatever rifles then you've got the start to a nice little fire team.

The way I look at what gear is the best is by seeing what types of talents and skills people have and are good at already when the alarm clock goes off. In my group of guys I'm the best long range shooter by far but the other guys aren't up to speed enough with reacting to contact for me to feel comfortable handing one of them my AR and I picking up my bolt gun.

Its all about assessing who you've got with you and what you're trained in and ready to use. I keep enough ammo on hand to suit my needs and I don't intend to have the ability to resupply majically fall into my lap. When the time comes you better have what you need because Walmart days are going to be a thing of the past.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Due to the ups and downs of ammo availability, stock a couple common calibers(9mm, 38 spec, 45 acp, 40 s&w, 223, 12 ga, 7,62 x 39, 30-30, 308)
    22s are fun, but the ammo issue? Centerfire are common, shotguns are easiest. Bartering power, prolly not applied. You need to organize, and have ammo cans with handles to move stuff around. Will your ammo work in your weapon? Test it before you stock, some guns are picky.
    Good luck.

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    i like to have a .22, .223, 12 guage, .308, and 9mm.... but prolly wouldnt hurt to have some .45 layin around... but when the shtf im grabbing the AR and a 9mm for sidearm. the mrs will have the shotgun and who knows what else.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    First, reload. Ammo price and availability instability vanishes. Now you just gotta find components...

.22 for small game
    9mm pistols and carbines that take the same mags (pistol for carry and getting to your rifle, carbines for close-in local defense)
    7.62x39 (AK, SKS) for medium range, larger game (with underfolder and night sights for nocturnal area defense and patrols)
    7.62x51 (FAL with 30 round mags, CETME) for long distance and turning cover into concealment, BOL static defense
    7.62x54 (Mosin, though I'd really like an SVT) because we can
    12 gauge for hunting, building defense

If I want an AR I'll take it from the dead guys.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    .22 rifle for hunting. (eating is more important than a "possible threat" ) - Most fragile (scope)

.40 Glock27 (Has 9m conversion barrel and mags for NATO / international supplies) - Small size, sometimes surprises are the best weapon

12GA. 870 Big defense, various loads, can hunt/breach

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    My thoughts: /.22, 12ga., .223, .308, .45. I can't think of a reason to get rid of any of those, as I'd love to drop one, but I can't think of the situations, where I wouldn't want one of those. Sucks... But I think these cover all of my bases. I think when the time came, It would be hard to drop some of the others, but these will be the first to come. Then maybe consider 9, .380, and other hunting cartridges. Just depends on the room, or if hoofing it out.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If you are bugging "in" you can have the luxury of various calibers, which would also be good for bartering.
    But I would keep the majority of the supply to no more than 2-3 types.
    I would also say keep a bow and arrow set around, it may be awhile.
    If you are bugging "out" you probably only want to take what you can pack, and 1 rifle, 1 pistol per person.
    Having a vehicle may not be an option as time goes on.
    You'll probably want to shoot as little as possible, staying away from the mobs.
    It would also be good havae a sealed offsite stash, in case you were stuck somewhere else while your house was raided.
    Cheers.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    In the past I always thought that you couldn't go wrong stocking and using US military rounds. With what happened in this last panic I think I was wrong. At times the only thing on shelves was 7mm 08, 25-06 and other hunting rounds. All the 223, 9mm, 45 acp and 30-06 were gone first and fast.

I stock 9mm, 45 A.C.P., 44 mag, 357 mag, 243, 5.56. 308, 20 ga, 12 ga and 22 long rifle. I stock the most of 243, 5.56, 12 ga, 45 A.C.P., 308 and 22long rifle. The ones I stock the most of are the ones I depend on. I reload for all the ones I listed and others I didn't. I keep reloading parts for all.

The only thing I can say about this last shortage is I will keep stocking up as I have in the past. You can't ever have to much food, ammo or family.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It all depends on your budget, but if you have to move at all, its unlikely you will want to bring a lot of different guns and types of ammo. Probably better off focusing on a few key calibers. Im mostly stocked on 40. and 223. Though I want to get more .22. But the prices havent been great lately.

One perk of having many different types of ammo, if things get scarce like last year, you might have better luck finding something. Good to be able to replace what you shoot. During the crazy Newtown prices, I was afraid to shoot my ammo, since I didnt know when I could replace it.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    My SHTF battle rifle is an M1A. As they say, "bring enough gun"!

.17HMR for hunting
    .20ga semi-auto for CQB
    .40 for personal carry
    .22 for child carry

IMO, .17HMR blows .22 out of the water every day of the week. If you've never shot .17, you need to. I love my 17HMR's and .20ga is a vastly underrated shell. (1/3 less power than a .12ga, and 1/2 less the felt recoil.) Some call it a girly shotgun, but I'd dare any nay-sayers to stand in-front of the business end and say otherwise.

Top Bottom