• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • codydugger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    avon,in
    Does anyone have or know of someone that has bales of straw for sale at a reasonable price in the Hendricks county area. Looking for about 15 or so for a wedding

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Does anyone have or know of someone that has bales of straw for sale at a reasonable price in the Hendricks county area. Looking for about 15 or so for a wedding

Just a suggestion here, but if you can talk to any farmers in your area who grow wheat (the chaff from wheat is what makes straw) with balers and livestock, you could probably buy all the bales you need for about $4 each.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just a suggestion here, but if you can talk to any farmers in your area who grow wheat (the chaff from wheat is what makes straw) with balers and livestock, you could probably buy all the bales you need for about $4 each.

That's what we pay when we get bedding for the mini horse.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Crossroads just north/east of Brownsburg has them. Can't remember the price, but seemed reasonable.

After the wedding, drop a couple of those bales off at my place!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The price on straw has gone up dramatically since I was in the business. We used to sell it for $1/bale out of the field (late 90's/early 2000's when I was running my business) or $2/bale off-season (from storage).

It's hard to find now because it's not a good cash crop in the area anymore. The plains states are much better adapted for wheat. Some counties in Indiana are eligible for a USDA/FSA soil conservation program where they PAY the farmer to grow wheat. They are paying up to $80/acre to farmers just to grow wheat in certain soil conservation areas. Think about it; when was the last time you saw a wheat field? It's hard to even find a wheat field anymore... no wheat means no straw, which means MUCH higher price.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    As far as hay is concerned, none of the folks in my area make small bales any longer. It's all big round ones.

Hay and straw, two different things all together. Remember the saying hays for horses? Straw is the left over stalk of wheat, barley, oats etc... hay on the other hand is various grass' used for animal feed. Not trying to be a smart ass or nothing!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hay and straw, two different things all together. Remember the saying hays for horses? Straw is the left over stalk of wheat, barley, oats etc... hay on the other hand is various grass' used for animal feed. Not trying to be a smart ass or nothing!

Not sure which they'll be eating at the OP's wedding? :):

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    My neighbor gets $4 a bale out of the barn, cheaper out of the field.

I am northern Hamilton co or else I would get you in touch with him, I just got 6 bales last night for a party this weekend.

Kids love them plus if you get super drunk you can soak them in gas and throw them on the bonfire, turns night to day and warms everyone up...

Last edited:

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    The price on straw has gone up dramatically since I was in the business. We used to sell it for $1/bale out of the field (late 90's/early 2000's when I was running my business) or $2/bale off-season (from storage).

It's hard to find now because it's not a good cash crop in the area anymore. The plains states are much better adapted for wheat. Some counties in Indiana are eligible for a USDA/FSA soil conservation program where they PAY the farmer to grow wheat. They are paying up to $80/acre to farmers just to grow wheat in certain soil conservation areas. Think about it; when was the last time you saw a wheat field? It's hard to even find a wheat field anymore... no wheat means no straw, which means MUCH higher price.

Lots of wheat fields around here every year (north if Indy)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Lots of wheat fields around here every year (north if Indy)

Indiana winter wheat planted acres is down ~25% from the 2002 ag census despite a rise in total (all crops) planted acres since that time... Definitely not as much wheat being planted where I grew up. Dad quite planting wheat 10 years ago; no profit in it.

Just to put in perspective how dramatic the decline in wheat acres is, the USDA ag census changed their map scales (acres/county) from <5,000; 5,000-24,999; 25,000-49,999 and so on in 2002 to None reported; <4,999; 5,000-9,999; 10,000-19,999 and so on in 2014 because the newer maps weren't useful using the older scale...

Top Bottom