• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I’ve had what my wife calls a knife problem for almost 10 years now, and early on I created a short list of “grail” knives. Those knives that were relegated to a status above all others, knives I wanted to own “some-day.” I’ve now reached the point where I’ve owned those knives and many more, one was a CRK Sebenza which I eventually swapped for an Umnumzaan. Another was a strider DB I ditched because it was just too heavy with little utility. There are others, but I’ll spare you.

The last knife on my shortlist was a Strider SNG. With my Umnumzaan at the spa, I figured now was as good a time as any to pick up the SNG so it could get some daily pocket time with little competition. My Umnumzaan is my daily carry, except for those days when I’m headed to the woods on off playing in uniform. On those days I reach for an Emerson CQC-8. My hope was to replace the Emerson with the Strider and get down to two knives… well two that I carry most of the time. I tried to get down to two watches and as my wife will testify, it didn’t work.

I browsed a few ebay ads, but I’m terrified of fakes. So I turned to a trusted friend in the knife world; Brad. I have to give Brad some love, I’ve worked in sales, and remembering customers’ names and personal information isn’t always easy. Not only did he remember me (over 2 years since out last deal.) He remembered where I worked, down to the location! He had a few SNGs in stock and I picked a plane jane tan g10 model.

I’ve had the knife for less than 24 hours now and I think that qualifies me to make some initial observations. Like I stated before my goal is for this to be a user, one that will get slightly abused, tossed to buddies and occasionally treated as a pry tool or screw driver. All the things I use my Emerson for.
    I don’t have a final “verdict” on this knife. Just thought I’d share some observations for those who haven’t handled one.

Observation # 1
    This knife is very light and relatively thin. I’d never handled an SNG before Brad handed this one to me and I was surprised at the weight. When I mentioned it Brad laughed at me and said “Well, it’s Ti and G10, they aren’t heavy materials!” He’s right, and the light weight now puts this in contention with the CRK for daily carry.

Observation # 2
    The blade shape and cutting edge are just about as perfect a shape as I could ask for. I absolutely love the large choil. I know some think it’s excessive and takes away from the cutting edge, but for me it provides a level of control and security that is perfect. My CQC-8 has an odd shape that has honesty been getting bothersome when trying to puncture boxes and other containers etc. It also tends to slide part way through rope and cord, but the upswept blade won’t finish the cut.

Observation # 3
    There is 0 blade play. There is nothing I hate more than a wobbly blade, no worries with this thing.

Observation # 4
    The pocket clip looks like it would be weak and as if it would wobble, but it doesn’t. I keep checking it, almost like a compulsion, but every time I do its rock solid. It does cause the knife to carry high in the pocket so I may invest in a deep pocket clip.

Observation # 5
    The fit and finish aren’t as nice as I was expecting. The thumb stud is not shaped or ground uniformly; the screws holding the G10 scale on aren’t flush, but rather elevated on the G10 side and recessed on the Ti side. Where the grooves of the G10 line up with the grooves on the Ti (near the “butt” of the knife) it’s not a smooth transition. The Ti grooves are rounded and the G10 are blocky. The pivot screw is flush on the Ti side, but raised on the G10 side. As stated before this knife will be a user and these minor things won’t affect that or my love for it, but it was a surprise. I’ve owned a few ZTs with better fit and finish.

Observation # 6
    The G10 scale is rough, in a good way. It’s got great grip. It may eventually tear up my jeans a little, but combined with the knife shape and choil, I have no fear of losing positive control.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Observation # 4
    The pocket clip looks like it would be weak and as if it would wobble, but it doesn’t. I keep checking it, almost like a compulsion, but every time I do its rock solid. It does cause the knife to carry high in the pocket so I may invest in a deep pocket clip.

Observation # 5
    The fit and finish aren’t as nice as I was expecting. The thumb stud is not shaped or ground uniformly; the screws holding the G10 scale on aren’t flush, but rather elevated on the G10 side and recessed on the Ti side. Where the grooves of the G10 line up with the grooves on the Ti (near the “butt” of the knife) it’s not a smooth transition. The Ti grooves are rounded and the G10 are blocky. The pivot screw is flush on the Ti side, but raised on the G10 side. As stated before this knife will be a user and these minor things won’t affect that or my love for it, but it was a surprise. I’ve owned a few ZTs with better fit and finish.

Strider does not make a deep carry clip, eventually you will love the clip it is very distinctive and starts conversations with other people imho.

The "imperfections" are always there the ti side screws are recessed because there is a special texture on them that holds them to the Ti so you can get the knife apart. The pivot sticks out so you can actually unscrew the knife and take it apart. And I believe the Ti is more rounded so as to not cut someone as the jimping on striders is very agressive.

Other than that I hope you enjoy the SnG it is a darn near perfect EDC!. Oh and welcome to the strider addiction its a terrible terrible disease.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Nice review Pale Rider! :yesway:

FWIW, here is my take on Strider knives: If you are use to the fit and finish of a CRK (Sebenza), then a Strider knife will be a little disappointing. Strider knives are not the most refined knife coming out of the bag (they come in a plastic bag, not a box). They are not meant to be a show piece, museum piece, or a gentleman's knife, they are meant to be a hard use knife. Strider concentrates their design efforts on the ergonomics of the knife. You won't find any “hot spots' on a Strider knife. The shape and design of the handles makes the blade opening hole very accessible, even with thick gloves on. What a lot of people call “thumb studs” are actually blade stop pins that function to stop the blade (during opening) in the proper position for a solid lock up. I'm not saying you can't use the stop pins along with the blade thumb hole to open the blade, but their actual function is for stopping the blade. The stop pins will not be perfectly round, and over time they will flatten out some on the side that makes contact with the frame of the knife. The harder you open the blade (flicking and flipping) the faster you accelerate the wear on the stop pins. Eventually stop pins will wear out and need to be replaced. A good indication of this is when vertical blade play developes. Not to worry though, Strider knives have a life time warranty and their customer service is pretty good. The large choil on the blade allows you to choke up on the knife and is very comfortable. The jimping on the spine of the blade and the top of the knife is not too aggressive to where it's not comfortable while using, even when you choke up on the knife and use the choil. You can also be assured that Strider knives will have a solid lock up with no blade play, and the lock up is not sticky. Note: You might experience a little bit of a sticky lock up when the knife is new, but it will go away very quickly as the knife breaks in. Strider knives are just a badass hard core, hard use knife, and nothing more. :twocents:

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you get the chance and have the time this is a good overview video of the SNG

Personally I've never seen the appeal of Striders.

[video]https://youtu.be/3FiKmt_aMfE[/video]

For some odd reason I can't embed the video. :dunno:

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If you get the chance and have the time this is a good overview video of the SNG

Ha he uses an edge pro apex an obvious noob

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    a strider cc is on my short list.

Thanks for the review. It nice to have a presective from a knife fan that isn't a fan boy to help with descions.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

You got to love these youtube reviews.....This guy didn't even own the knife (barrowed it from a buddy), never carried it, or actually used it, but in 30 minutes of opening and closing it, and staring it down, can come up with an opinion. IMO, I don't see how anyone can form an opinion about anything until you have used the product for a period of time.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've owned and carried my SMF for a few years now. I've owned a lot of folders in that time, but it has stood out as my favorite. No doubt, the Reeve stuff is more refined. But nothing feels as good in my hand as an SMF.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You got to love these youtube reviews.....This guy didn't even own the knife (barrowed it from a buddy), never carried it, or actually used it, but in 30 minutes of opening and closing it, and staring it down, can come up with an opinion. IMO, I don't see how anyone can form an opinion about anything until you have used the product for a period of time.

Actually, if you watch a few of his videos he runs some kind of small business that offers knife sharpening services. He is sent knives to him to service, sharpen and sometimes test and review. In the video on the SNG he clearly stated that he had the knife for a few weeks before he sharpened it and made the video. So it wasn't just a few minutes or an afternoon of fondling. He also said that he plans on buying an SNG at some point and that it was a really tough knife that most people will never wear out, but he just doesn't see the value of it compared to a Hinderer or CRK. Quite frankly I agree with him, and most of his knife reviews seem to be honest, straight forward, no hype just his opinion. Which is kinda refreshing even if I do not always agree with him. He rarely if ever gives glowing reviews, even his Sebenza got a few small dings, and he usually points out faults that most will gloss over just because of the name on the blade. His is just another opinion out of the million out there. All its worth is what you paid for it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Actually, if you watch a few of his videos he runs some kind of small business that offers knife sharpening services. He is sent knives to him to service, sharpen and sometimes test and review. In the video on the SNG he clearly stated that he had the knife for a few weeks before he sharpened it and made the video. So it wasn't just a few minutes or an afternoon of fondling. He also said that he plans on buying an SNG at some point and that it was a really tough knife that most people will never wear out, but he just doesn't see the value of it compared to a Hinderer or CRK. Quite frankly I agree with him, and most of his knife reviews seem to be honest, straight forward, no hype just his opinion. Which is kinda refreshing even if I do not always agree with him. He rarely if ever gives glowing reviews, even his Sebenza got a few small dings, and he usually points out faults that most will gloss over just because of the name on the blade. His is just another opinion out of the million out there. All its worth is what you paid for it.

Having it a few weeks and actually using it...we will never know for sure. My point being, when Car & Driver reviews a new car or truck, they take them out and put them through their paces. When Guns & Ammo reviews a new gun, they take them out and put a few rounds down range. While I agree with some of his points, I feel he may just be another one of those armchair internet reviewers that doesn't actually use half of what they review. Also, I'm not sure that the SnG in his review was a good example of what you are getting with a Strider knife. I have owned and handled close to 100 Striders knives in the past seven years or so, and I have never been able to get them to do what he was doing by pulling back on the blade........ I will admit that I have never really tried. After I watched the video, I took the dozens or so Striders that I have in stock and could not get any of them to "pop" by pulling back and putting pressure on the blade and lock up. The people that own and actually use Strider knives, tend to love them. People that have never owned one or have used one, usually have something negative to say about them......just my observation from over the years.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    After I watched the video, I took the dozens or so Striders that I have in stock and could not get any of them to "pop" by pulling back and putting pressure on the blade and lock up. The people that own and actually use Strider knives, tend to love them. People that have never owned one or have used one, usually have something negative to say about them......just my observation from over the years.

Again he says as much. That they do have a reputation among the circle of people who use them. And most times overall fit and finish are not what determine the price of an item. It is usually demand for the item that dictates price. Striders demand is high so the price reflects the demand. And maybe his was a particularly sloppy example of an SNG. I tend to think there are two kinds of reviewers for anything. Users and Collectors, and he is definitely on the collector end of the spectrum.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    After a day "in the field"

carrying the the knife in my left pocket (wearing military style cargo pants) is no go. Blade opened twice in my pocket yesterday. Moved knife to right pocket and after a little running around, up and down etc. it almost fell out 3 times, dangling, clip not engaged. The clip works really well with jeans but is a hair loose for these pants. I'm thinking of investing in an aftermarket deep pocket carry clip.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sell it and get a Grayman, TSF, Benchmade Sibert, Schempp Tuff, or one of the tons of awesome options out there if it's not working for you.

I still don't understand getting a strider when there's other knives that do what a strider does, has better fit and finish, and costs less.

Top Bottom