• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't believe that a striker fired pistol is any more susceptible to a ND than any other pistol. NDs are a direct result of the operator not the gun.

NDs usually are the direct result of the operator, but humans are not infallible. Some designs allow more error than others prior to making unwanted noise.

Isn't finger on the trigger holstering a reason for a lot of non external safety gun ND's?

Not a lot. But some. Of the holstering incidents, more were caused by collapsed or clothing obstructed holsters, but there were a few where the obstruction was a finger.

Everyone is extremely safe when re-holstering...except when they're not.

An ND upon re-holstering has nothing to do with a finger anywhere near the trigger. :ugh:

See above. Usually it doesn't, but sometimes the finger is the obstruction. It doesn't seem to be a problem in admin handling, but stress handling such as after a shoot/no-shoot decision.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Isn't finger on the trigger holstering a reason for a lot of non external safety gun ND's?

...Not a lot. But some. Of the holstering incidents, more were caused by collapsed or clothing obstructed holsters, but there were a few where the obstruction was a finger.

See above. Usually it doesn't, but sometimes the finger is the obstruction. It doesn't seem to be a problem in admin handling, but stress handling such as after a shoot/no-shoot decision.

It's prolly just my experiences. I've seen two in classes that were finger on trigger and heard of a couple more. Luckily, 3 of the four missed everyone involved (other than gravel splatter to my face.) Appendix carry student shot themself.

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I had an opportunity once to train with some SEALS from the east coast that were on base to work on some sniping skills. He ran our group through a pistol combat course. One of the surprising things I heard him say was if you handle firearms as much as we do you will experience a ND. He further said, ND's are ok as long as they don't hit anyone and that was why muzzle control is important. =D

I've had one ND in 27 years. It was enough to make me re-think everything I do when the firearm is not holstered. Oh... nobody got hit but I did have to do a roof repair.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I had an opportunity once to train with some SEALS from the east coast that were on base to work on some sniping skills. He ran our group through a pistol combat course. One of the surprising things I heard him say was if you handle firearms as much as we do you will experience a ND. He further said, ND's are ok as long as they don't hit anyone and that was why muzzle control is important. =D

I've had one ND in 27 years. It was enough to make me re-think everything I do when the firearm is not holstered. Oh... nobody got hit but I did have to do a roof repair.
    There is a reason why in every MP station I've seen there is clearing barrel filled with sand.

GlockLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Pittsboro
    I keep reading that people don't like carrying striker fired guns without manual safeties. Is this due to a light trigger pull than a SA/DA or is there an inherent design issue that makes ND's more likely with a striker fired pistol (say a mechanical failure)?
    I think it's more a lack of knowledge or a belief in an antiquated firearm. If people would learn to properly draw the fun from the holster and keep their finger off the trigger all proper guns are safe.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Only one of our handguns has a slide safety... the first time I fired it, I did so with the safety on... loudest silence I ever heard.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    HK P7. problem solved.:popcorn:

No matter what you do, there's always a better idiot being built.

Much (but absolutely not all) of the criticism of glocks (and strikers in general) goes back to when the police first converted from SA/DA revolvers. with a 10-12lb revolver, poor discipline happened but the heavy pull sometimes prevented a ND. same poor trigger discipline with a 4-6lb pull and kaboom.

Thumb on hte hammer while holstering is part of the reason I like DA/SA.

Nothing else to add except to reinforce training, discipline, and slow down.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Except how to pay for one. I'd like to have one because reasons, but ouch, wallet cramps.

That is outside the scope of this consultation.

I hear ya tho. Just keep saving up till you have what you're willing to spend and be patient: set it aside so it's ready to go. Watch all potential sources and be ready to pounce when one does show up on the lower end of the price spectrum.

Top Bottom