• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRLREDY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So my old Weedeater brand trimmer has finally crapped out. Gonna spend a little money this time and get something quality. Have decided on a Echo mainly due to the 5 year warranty. My dilemma is whether to get a curved shaft or straight shaft model this time. I've read straight shaft is better for taller people but I'm 5'8" so I don't think that applies to me.:D My old one was curved and my only experience with straight ones has been fondeling them at the store. Both feel fairly comfortable to me. Use will be once a week for about 30-40min max. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I had a curved one and bought a straight one once it pooed out. I'm 5' 11" and I find the straight trimmer much more comfortable FWIW.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When I buy stuff like that I check out what the commercial guys do. I bought a Husqvarna/straight shaft several years ago-- and cannot complain. The straight shaft trimmers are easier to edge with and reach under objects.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I had an Echo straight shaft I "received" as a parting gift from a County Hwy Dept 20 years ago. It worked like a beaver chewin wood every year and I ended up selling it to a guy that did landscaping 2 years ago. He still uses it to this day and it's gotta have thousands of hours on it.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Stihl....

I have a FS55 with the straight shaft . The fast start is nice, one or two easy pulls and it starts right up. The trimmer head/spool is easy to reload with line and takes no time to do so.

I am going on my 4th season with it. I just prepped my gear for spring and I added gas and lubed the gear box by the spool. primed it a few time and 3 pulls it fired to life. My dads craftsman cant do that...

When I first bought the house I ran to the Stihl dealer and picked it up. I then took about 4 hours to cut my entire yard and the trimmer just buzzed along. The house we bought was a flipped house and the yard was a mess and I didn't want to damage the mower on any foreign objects and I found a lot of weird things in the yard.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Echo straight shaft. My first Echo I inherited from my parents, it ran fine for 20+ years. I now have over 12 trouble free years on my second one. The straight shaft models will also accept attachments like saw blades.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    2 Stihls for me. 1 straight 1 curved. Straight is the way to go. Bought them both when they were on sale from local dealer years apart.

12 yearold curvered shaft FS 35 has been at the shop 1 time. Head replaced and tab for choke broke off of rear selector.

Stihl FS 120 rocks!

Had ECHOs, Craftsman and McCullogh trimmers before. They are all gone and the STIHLs are still going. :yesway:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How much are the stihls? I have a weedeater that I hate.

Go to STIHL – The Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws – Outdoor Power Tools - Locate an Independent STIHL Dealer and use the dealer locator feature. Select your local dealer and browse the products. It will give the prices of everything. Almost all stihl dealers charge the retail price. I don't think you can go more than a 30 mile radius in all of Indiana without finding a stihl dealer. In order to be a dealer, they have to be able to service them as well.

I currently have ms200t and ms361 saws, a br600 backpack blower, an fs130 trimmer, and their backpack sprayer. It's good stuff.

Top Bottom