• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wreaver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Right over there!
    I recently posted about getting ready to build my first AR. My buddy has a couple stripped spikes lowers and is willing to send one down. He's way up north, i'm down in clay county. since it's a private transaction in state does he need to ship to an ffl or can he just mail it to me? neither of us were a 100% on this.

thanks.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A stripped lower is considered a pistol, I can't remember if that changes things.
    Not exactly...
    it's considered a bare receiver/frame. But on the 4473 it is treated like a pistol in the respect that you must be 21 to buy it because it can ultimately be turned into a pistol (or a rifle).

IIRC, IN allows a private sale of a longarm in IN to be shipped to the buyer with no FFL involved. I think the "receiver/frame" would fall in a gray area. I don't really have an answer but I suspect that it would be treated like a handgun and therefore cannot ship it directly to buyer.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not exactly...
    it's considered a bare receiver/frame. But on the 4473 it is treated like a pistol in the respect that you must be 21 to buy it because it can ultimately be turned into a pistol (or a rifle).

The fact that it's a bare receiver is irrelevant. If it was papered as a rifle, it's a rifle, even with no parts attached.

IIRC, IN allows a private sale of a longarm in IN to be shipped to the buyer with no FFL involved. I think the "receiver/frame" would fall in a gray area. I don't really have an answer but I suspect that it would be treated like a handgun and therefore cannot ship it directly to buyer.

It is legal to ship both pistols and long guns from one Indiana resident to another. Follow the guidelines in the FAQ I quoted above. There is no "grey area". The law is extremely clear on the subject.

Wreaver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Right over there!
    sweet so he can just ship directly then. sorry scutter. I probably should have perused more of the stickys and such before i started posting. forgive this poor new guy, lol! thanks for linking it though.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    sweet so he can just ship directly then. sorry scutter. I probably should have perused more of the stickys and such before i started posting. forgive this poor new guy, lol! thanks for linking it though.

Don't let it happen again!

:D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I think we need some kind of collection of this sort of information on this forum. Answers to questions that are asked frequently. Trying to think of a snappy name for it.

Top Bottom