Stripped lower question Pistol or Rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Bacon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    West Side
    I have bought a couple of stripped lowers and want to build one as a pistol, is there any issue with doing that? I have only ever built them as rifles, 16-24" barrels and stocks. I am not sure what is legal to build. Thanks.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    If the reciever was purchased as a "reciever" or "other" it makes no matter if you build it as a pistol or a rifle. If the reciever was transfered as a "pistol" or "rifle" it will make a matter and should be built as such. Anymore recievers are normally transfered as "other" so you have a choice, this makes it illegal for anyone under 18 to buy a bare lower now also.

Tactical Bacon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    West Side
    Same thing then applies to purchasing a completed pistol or rifle that was built on a stripped lower? The seller has to know if t was purchased as a pistol or rifle stripped lower?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    If the reciever was purchased as a "reciever" or "other" it makes no matter if you build it as a pistol or a rifle. If the reciever was transfered as a "pistol" or "rifle" it will make a matter and should be built as such. Anymore recievers are normally transfered as "other" so you have a choice, this makes it illegal for anyone under 18 to buy a bare lower now also.

a stripped lower is a "other firearm" a dealer cant state rifle or pistol, because it's neither, it is unfireable9but it is a firearm)
    an assembeled lower made with a rifle stock, is a rifle, therefore can be sold as a rifle, and to out of state residents or 18 years or over
    an assembeled lower with a pistol buffer on it is a pistol, and can only be sold to instate residents or over 21

per the 4473 question 18(the dealer fill this part out)

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

if you scroll down and read page 5 it will tell you that a dealey has to mark other and cannot sell a striped lower to anyone under 21

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The lowers you have (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) were transferred as "receiver" and can be built into rifle or pistol. I believe that is the only proper way to transfer a stripped lower these days.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The lowers you have (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) were transferred as "receiver" and can be built into rifle or pistol. I believe that is the only proper way to transfer a stripped lower these days.
    This is correct. Stripped lowers have the box "other" checked by the dealer and then "receiver" is written after the serial Number on the 4473 by the dealer.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have bought a couple of stripped lowers and want to build one as a pistol, is there any issue with doing that? I have only ever built them as rifles, 16-24" barrels and stocks. I am not sure what is legal to build. Thanks.

So, if you have a stripped lower receiver and you put a sig brace on it or whatever the handgun AR stock is.... that's all you have to do? Then you can buy a <16" barreled upper and you are good? I wanted to do that at one time, but thought there was more to it than that?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    So, if you have a stripped lower receiver and you put a sig brace on it or whatever the handgun AR stock is.... that's all you have to do? Then you can buy a <16" barreled upper and you are good? I wanted to do that at one time, but thought there was more to it than that?

Short answer, yes, thats ok. BUT you have to be careful that you dont have extra, unmated pistol uppers just hanging out along with an unmated rifle (with Buttstock) lower -- that can be constructive intent. (Correct my terminology if I'm wrong )
    So, the safest way js to have a dedicated pistol lower + upper (and perhaps even multiple pistol uppers), and have a dedicated rifle lower + rifle upper (or more than one rifle upper)

In other words, don't have a rifle lower (w/ buttstock) with a mix of rifle and pistol uppers.
    i hope that makes sense

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I had a couple of my receivers transferred as handguns, because they can be handguns and then made into rifles, not not from rifle to handgun. also you can only buy 1 handgun every so many days (I want to say 5 days), if you buy more than that the gun shop has to notify the ATF and all kinds of other crap. I just wanted to be completely safe and any paperwork that exists with these guns it is handgun. And not rifle. Does this really matter? Not really, especially when all the paperwork gets destroyed after being held for a few years. But I wanted to cover all the bases. I don't want jail time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom