• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Overtime, you could impart a small amount of magnetic charge in the weapon. Take a screw driver and rub it against a strong magnet a few times, near the tip. The tip will now have a slight magnetic charge, and it will hold onto screws.
    Yep, and/but what is a way to dispel that magnetic charge? One way is to jar the screw driver. Another is to heat it up. Now, what happens when a magnetized handgun is fired?

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You ALL have overlooked the obvious problem with this.

Perform the following experiment......Grab your gun off your fridge like it's an emergency situation......do the magnets stick to the gun or the fridge or both??? If you have magnets sticking to your slide, ask yourself what is going to happen if you actually have to FIRE that gun with those magnets stuck to it? Are they going to fly off and hit you in the face? Are they going to stick to the gun and increase the mass of the slide and possibly cause it to malfunction? Are they going to fly around and get into the action of the gun and cause it to malfunction?

If you can't get it off your fridge without the magnets staying on the fridge and not the gun, I'd say you have a potential disaster in the making if you actually need it in an emergency.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Great point... Easily fixed with a little hot-glue (assuming the location is quasi-permanent). You could also glue a piece of cloth or a sticker to one side of the magnet to protect the finish and make separation easier.

Can't imagine the 'magnetic effects' to the gun would be of any consequence.

Perform the following experiment......Grab your gun off your fridge like it's an emergency situation......do the magnets stick to the gun or the fridge or both??? If you have magnets sticking to your slide, ask yourself what is going to happen if you actually have to FIRE that gun with those magnets stuck to it? Are they going to fly off and hit you in the face? Are they going to stick to the gun and increase the mass of the slide and possibly cause it to malfunction? Are they going to fly around and get into the action of the gun and cause it to malfunction?

If you can't get it off your fridge without the magnets staying on the fridge and not the gun, I'd say you have a potential disaster in the making if you actually need it in an emergency.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I just get a mental image of him pulling that gun off the fridge and getting one shot off and the gun malfunctions with magnets stuck inside the action and him having this goofy look on his face while realizing what a stupid thing he did. :n00b:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The only issue I could see would be if you used steel cased ammo. If the receiver became magnetized (doubtful if it would happen - the metal must be somewhat "hardened" to stay magnetized), the receiver might pull the steel cases out of line causing some miss-feeds.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I work with electro magnets. so rare earth magnets are not my specialty. But the imparting of magnetism to an object depends upon the ferrous materials permeability, along with the strength of the magnetic force, and the magnetic flux path itself.

So I would say use a quality magnet designed for firearms, since rare earth may be too strong. Even better if you can find firearm specific magnets possibly tuned to your slide material. Even if your firearm received a magnetic charge the sheer force of the firearm functioning, in my opinion, overpower any normal force imparted. (Think Fridge magnet) All this being said, I don't use them...

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    The older, 3.5 inch hard drives come with a magnet inside that is perfect for holding handguns. It has two screws on the side that allow you to attach it to the underside of a desk or the side of a bedframe. If you have a couple of useless drives hanging around take one apart and see it you can re-purpose it.

Some drives have bigger magnets than others so check a couple of different manufacturers.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I couldn't see spending the money on the magnetic mounts so I made my own. I used a paint stick and wrapped the magnets in heat shrink tubing attaching them to the paint stick. Of course I heated the tubing then screwed the whole thing to the wall beside the bed. It held my Glock 19 before we had our son and cost me less that $5 and 20 minutes.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    IMG00017_zpsf523ab2e.jpg

Oh I have GOT to do this... That is awesome... Oh crap wait a minute my fridge is one of the new TRUE stainless steel ones that nothing will stick to, I mean except every fingerprint in the world... LOL

Gunner

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    There is actually a school of thought, that..... lining magnets up along the bottom of a chromoly rifle barrel, will slightly increase accuracy. Never tried it.... but hope to, soon, on something like a Remmy 37 rimfire.

:dunno:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka

the plan is to secure the magnets in a "sheet" to the underside of the counter at work using epoxy

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    The older, 3.5 inch hard drives come with a magnet inside that is perfect for holding handguns. It has two screws on the side that allow you to attach it to the underside of a desk or the side of a bedframe. If you have a couple of useless drives hanging around take one apart and see it you can re-purpose it.

Some drives have bigger magnets than others so check a couple of different manufacturers.

I've done this as well. One mounted to the back of my nightstand and one under my desk in my home office. No issues with it so far. These magnets are strong enough to hold and prevent accidently knocking a firearm off.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    i don't understand how magnets will hold a glock. I remember awhile back, some really smart people on the TV told me glocks are made of all plastic and cannot be detected by metal detectors. So I don't see how you got yours to stick to the fridge and some magnets. I call B.S. photoshop much?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have one, thought about sticking a shotgun on my bed rail? I'm too damn indecisive to mount it yet though. I do know I want another one though.

gearheadwilly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've used magnets in my gun safe for various reasons and never had a problem. Good way to organize light weight items when ur collection is growing faster than ur safe is.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

^^^^ this ^^^^
    Plus I wonder if the magnet sticking to the side of the slide, would pull the barrel to one side and cause uneven wear, and/or problems with operation and lock up?

Don't know***, but wonder :dunno:

Top Bottom