• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I am considering a cross draw holster. I have bad shoulders and strong side carry presents some issues for deployment of my firearm. I am thinking that cross draw would eliminate those problems. I also do not care for iwb carry of any sort. I like owb. Does anyone carry in a cross draw holster? How does it work for you? Any other input?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I use to carry cross draw until I did some training and realized that to bring my pistol to the ready I had to fan anyone from my 7 to my 12. hopefully the 12 would be my final point of aim. under pressure when your heart is at 160 BPM and your body is pumping adrenalin the possibility for a Negligent Discharge rises exponentially.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I use to carry cross draw until I did some training and realized that to bring my pistol to the ready I had to fan anyone from my 7 to my 12. hopefully the 12 would be my final point of aim. under pressure when your heart is at 160 BPM and your body is pumping adrenalin the possibility for a Negligent Discharge rises exponentially.

+^ looks cool, could help with shoulder, but are you sure your finger wouldn't squeeze a little too much on a fast draw with an adrenaline dump?

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Only time i cross draw is with my shoulder rig in the winter months. It's not bad. More comfortable to me in the care also. But otherwise i carry on the strong side.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Walker, Texas Ranger used a cross draw...

But we all know that Chuck has a resting heart rate of five, an action heart rate of 10, can channel adrenaline to specific muscle groups at will and has perfect muscle control.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I don't crossdraw anymore.
    My pecker was starting to show symptoms of stress. Headaches, depression, anxiety, isolation... Him having performance issues finally did it for me. :(
    All of this cleared up when I stopped putting a gun up to his head all day. My pecker couldn't be happier.....well maybe.

I haven't crossdrawed since.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I carried cross draw for years while driving limousines because it was much more comfortable, didn't get hung up in the seat belt and allowed me to place a hand on the gun without anyone being able to see what I was doing when seated. Many people dislike cross draw rigs because they hear and believe that you can't draw without sweeping yourself. That is not true. You just need to look at how you're doing it. The early years of IPSC saw a lot of very fast guys (Chip McCormick was one) using cross draw rigs and but they switched when they figured out the strong side draw was just a tiny bit faster on the clock. But I think cross draw is fast enough. You just have to have focused muzzle awareness ALL the time. (which you're supposed to be doing anyway, right?)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I carried in a cross draw during my law enforcement career and now use one in Cowboy Action Shooting.

In Cowboy Action sweeping is absolutely prohibited and results in immediate disqualification. A crossdraw can be used as safely as any other design.

Practice and you'll be fine.

The crossdraw is superior in drawing from a seated position and also allows you to clandestinely and discreetly place your hand on your gun if you're anticipating trouble.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Thanks for all the replies. I find myself carrying P238 most days as the draw is easier. I would like to carry my P220 as I am much more accurate with it. I can carry it in a duty holster that rides low on my side and draw just fine from that. But it isn't for CC.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cross draw rig that is easy to conceal with a shirt or light jacket? I prefer leather over kydex, but I will consider any recommendations.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am considering a cross draw holster. I have bad shoulders and strong side carry presents some issues for deployment of my firearm. I am thinking that cross draw would eliminate those problems. I also do not care for iwb carry of any sort. I like owb. Does anyone carry in a cross draw holster? How does it work for you? Any other input?

You might want to consider appendix carry, whether IWB or OWB. It's faster than crossdraw, easier to manager the muzzle on the draw/presentation, easier to conceal, just as good when you're seated, etc. It might also put the gun far enough to allow you to draw without hurting your shoulder.

Top Bottom