• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • standslanted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    I purchased my reloader over a year ago, and over the weekend I finally finished my reloading room and bench, so now I can start reloading. OK...so after mounting the unit, I decided to try decapping a few primers just to see how it goes. What a mistake. Now I have a stuck 223 case in the Full Length Sizer Die (with decapping pin). I've read at least a dozen times the importance of applying case lube 1st before hand. But as you can see...I was not thinking and now its stuck :dunno:. Worst case would be to purchase a new Full Length Sizer Die, but thought I'd get feed back first.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You can try removing the decapping pin assembly and pounding it out. You can also buy a stuck case remover.

Stuck cases can be a royal PITA. Once you've done it you'll never forget lube again... FWIW, proper case lube also makes the brass last longer since FL resizing is very hard on brass.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    take the die out of the press....put die in a vise with wood blocks....get or if you have some PB blaster and spray inside of die.....take a pair of channel locks and grab the end of the case and work it back and forth as it should come free....then clean die with brake cleaner.....it worked for me.....don't ask how i know:xmad:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    take the die out of the press....put die in a vise with wood blocks....get or if you have some PB blaster and spray inside of die.....take a pair of channel locks and grab the end of the case and work it back and forth are it should come free...it worked for me.....don't ask how i know:xmad:

I chewed the rim off a .243 that way. Ended up using a hydraulic press to get the damn thing out. (not saying it's not worth a try)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have a way but you'll probably ruin your depriming pin.
    Take the nut off of the depriming pin, drive pin and brass out the bottom of die.
    Again, don't ask how I know. It didn't mess up the die, and I was able to grind the "flair" off the end of the depriming pin and kept using it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I bought a stuck case remover 20 odd years ago when I got a little ahead of myself. After extracting a single stuck case, I have been either attentive or fortunate, because the tool has never again left the little package it came in. Good luck to ya. :)

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    I have a way but you'll probably ruin your depriming pin.
    Take the nut off of the depriming pin, drive pin and brass out the bottom of die.
    Again, don't ask how I know. It didn't mess up the die, and I was able to grind the "flair" off the end of the depriming pin and kept using it.

If it is a Lee sizer, do not remove the nut, just loosen it and use a fitting punch on the top of the pin. You may have to hacksaw the case off the pin once out. Be careful not to gouge the pin with the hacksaw.

standslanted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    take the die out of the press....put die in a vise with wood blocks....get or if you have some PB blaster and spray inside of die.....take a pair of channel locks and grab the end of the case and work it back and forth as it should come free....then clean die with brake cleaner.....it worked for me.....don't ask how i know:xmad:

Thanks, this worked!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Now, since you're new at this and learned a hard lesson, let me give you a good tip that a very experienced reloader once gave me. If you're using a single stage or turret style press, buy some Imperial Sizing die wax and apply it to each case before resizing. It's less muss n' fuss than the various case lubes out there. If you're using a progressive and loading a lot of cases at once, one of the spray n' shake lubes might be better.

Also, I will go on record as saying that IF you're new to all this and started out with a progressive, this kind of mishap is why a lot of folks suggest starting out with a single stage. Less to worry about means more opportunity to focus on a single operation at a time, like lubing and sizing cases. If you're using a single stage...carry on! :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    buy the dillon rifle dies. they have built in stuck case removers.

So, he should set aside his perfectly functional existing dies and spend another ~$60 for a different set, to correct for a problem that is highly unlikely to ever happen again? Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to just lube the brass, which he'd be well-advised to do with the Dillon dies, anyway? I'm just askin'...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have a set of Hornady 223 dies that are the stuck case queen if I have ever saw one. I have had more stuck cases with those than all my others combined. I drill out the primer hole, tap the hole for threads and use a bolt and washers to pull them out. 5 minute job.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    j706,

What kind of lube are you using? I presume you meant just the resizing die is a frequent problem...are you sure it's perfectly smooth on the inside? I will periodically tear mine down, degrease them and then twist a small skein of fine steel wool through the die. Like I said; one stuck case in 25 years.

Are you using a progressive press for loading 223?

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok but what if ur depriving pin is sticking out the bottom of car? then how do u et it out??? ima try puting mine in a vice n try to work it out but if that doesn't work IDK? i dnt really wan a spend more money on tools.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    ok but what if ur depriving pin is sticking out the bottom of car? then how do u et it out??? ima try puting mine in a vice n try to work it out but if that doesn't work IDK? i dnt really wan a spend more money on tools.

What is the pin depriving you of and why is it sticking out the bottom of your car? Is this still a reloading question? ;)

I'm just kidding you...is the pin sticking through a primer? Stuck in the flash hole? Can you even see to tell?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN

Lee has a video on their website and they said loosen the depriming pin and use a punch on top of the depriming pin to knock the stuck case out

Top Bottom