• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Loading up a bunch of .45acp this morning on Dillon 550B press.

Managed to get case stuck in station #1 (deprime/re-prime station).

Could not remove it, could not rotate black plate thing, hemos only tore up brass. Finally managed to pop it out with screwdriver.

What caused this and, more importantly, what did I do wrong?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I may have to go down to my press to get the complete visual in my head, but you are saying that the case was stuck in the shellplate (not the die) after priming?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Dillon 55B???

Dillon 550B^^Missed a 0..

Kirk, need to know more--What kind of dies? What Mfg. brass (Poss. that you had a Small Primed case)??
    Did the rim rip off of the case+leave the case in the die? Or did the case come out of the die+get stuck in the shell plate?

Is it poss. that the case was Steel?? Have not seen a boxer primed steel case, but anything is poss.??

Even though I'm sure you are using Carbide Dies, it is good to run about every 10th case through that has been lubed..

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Military Case??

Just thought (Brain Fart)..Was it a Military case??

If so, you may have crushed a primer 1/2 way into the primer pocket, with the leftover hanging out+locking up the shell plate??

Kind of hard to tell??

NEED some pictures of the left over "Shrapnel"..HA HA..Bill.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Please post results once figured out. The piece that insert primer would keep shell plate from turning and only stick the case if overseated. Primer hanging out would cause all these issues but you stated the primer was flush (any chance it fully seated while prying the case out?). Can't imagine dies coming into play once the shellllaye is lowered.

How's it running now? Back to normal?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hmmm, upon further review, it DOES look like the spent primer was not punched out all the way. Man, am I embarrassed.:n00b:

Thanks, guys.

utf-8BRmFpcmZpZWxkLTIwMTMwNjA4LTAwMTY0LmpwZw_zps6406d776.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nolo contendere.

Well, this one screw up after a twenty year hiatus from reloading is to be expected. I shall learn, eventually.

Have to break eggs and sweat to make an omelet.:D

Now, to get another book on cd at hit the basement.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Been there done that.

I had that happen once. I cleaned up my dies and no more problems. Yep, they do have to be cleaned every now and again (ie every 10k rounds or so).

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I adjust my decapping pin down a little bit extra for that exact reason. I have had that happen to me a few times doing .223 LC brass. Instead of taking a chance bending your shell plate, you can unscrew the big allen bolt holding the shell plate in place and then just lift it out. DO NOT forget to loosen the little allen head set screw, done that a few times wondering what the heck was going on:D

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Should not happen with Dillon Dies??

Dies=Dillon dies.

Mfg. brass=is it Star? It has two lines and a star on each end on the headstamp.

With Dillon New Dimension Dies, the decap rod is spring loaded to throw off a primer that sticks to the decap pin..Should NOT have pulled back into case.
    Take your decap assembly out of the size die+buff the decap pin to where there are no sharp edges to it. That will help to release the spent primer+not let it draw back into case. Be sure that your size die assembly is screwed down to where it touches the shell plate+JUST a HAIR more...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Not with Dillon New Dimension Dies..

I adjust my decapping pin down a little bit extra for that exact reason. I have had that happen to me a few times doing .223 LC brass. Instead of taking a chance bending your shell plate, you can unscrew the big allen bolt holding the shell plate in place and then just lift it out. DO NOT forget to loosen the little allen head set screw, done that a few times wondering what the heck was going on:D

Delete..I was wrong..

Top Bottom