• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The school's superintendent just sent out an automated message to parents.

It described a situation where a couple of students got into an altercation this morning in the hallway. Three staff members immediately broke it up and they began following their security protocols and investigation. During their investigation, one of the students was discovered to have a handgun in his backpack. He is being recommended for expulsion.

Haven't seen it reach the news yet, but I thought I'd FYI the community. The alert just went out like 5 minutes ago.

UPDATE:

Ben Davis High School student arrested after handgun found in backpack | Fox 59 News ? fox59.com

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...l-student-arrested-for-bringing-gun-to-school

http://www.wthr.com/story/24252183/2013/12/18/ben-davis-students-removed-from-school-one-had-handgun

Last edited:

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    When I was in high school I got on the school bus with a shotgun and shells, wen to school and put it in my locker on a regular basis, we had an outdoor life club that went to the Indiana gun club on a regular basis for trap and skeet shooting, this was in the 70's at southport high. Could you imagine that now?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    When I was in high school I got on the school bus with a shotgun and shells, wen to school and put it in my locker on a regular basis, we had an outdoor life club that went to the Indiana gun club on a regular basis for trap and skeet shooting, this was in the 70's at southport high. Could you imagine that now?

Yes, things would be so much nicer.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012

Just curious, what year did you graduate? I went to Southport as well, class of 79.

And as to your question, the township's school police would #@&% their pants and call in the SWAT team for backup.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    FWIW, Ben Davis also has a rifle range. It is maintained by the JROTC program there. Up until the early 2000s they had their cadets qualify and practice with 22s. I believe now, they have gone the way of fear induced restriction to using only air rifles. :dunno:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    FWIW, Ben Davis also has a rifle range. It is maintained by the JROTC program there. Up until the early 2000s they had their cadets qualify and practice with 22s. I believe now, they have gone the way of fear induced restriction to using only air rifles. :dunno:

Believe air rifle requirement came about because of a death of a JROTC Cadet being shot in the back by a .22 rifle on the range, as told to me by a JROTC Instructor. This didn't happen at BD but all programs were required to move to air rifles.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Believe air rifle requirement came about because of a death of a JROTC Cadet being shot in the back by a .22 rifle on the range, as told to me by a JROTC Instructor. This didn't happen at BD but all programs were required to move to air rifles.
    Hmm

Who governs such a decision? The school board? I know in terms of military education the Marine Corps ROTC programs and their curriculum are both directed by (in terms of curriculum) and supplied by HQ Marine Corps.

I remember the old instructors at BD were very proud, although humble, about the fact that they were one of the few remaining schools that had managed to hang on to the "live fire" program.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Great to hear, NOT! My two oldest grandsons are both in BDHS. One is a bit of a bad ass, the other has the mouth but not much to back it up. I'd be pissed but not surprised if one was involved in the altercation. Neither would carry to school though. Dad penalties would be way worse than legal penalties.

Matt

Top Bottom