• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Seems like someone is mad that lazy and/or incompetent prosecutors are wrongly using QI as rationale for not going after cops, when they very much could if they simply had the cognitive ability to critically think.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Not really anything to explain. My opinion allowing for qualified immunity can excuse stupid acts Performed by a person.

Not really sure how to make it any clearer for you.

Let’s say Officer Snuffy does something stupid even outside the department SOP’s. QI does not keep you from suing the department or him. And if he is within the department SOP’s again QI doesn’t keep you from suing the Department. And usually they would settle out of court for $$$ and agree to change policy. so again I’m not sure what a lot of folks beef is with it.

That’s not to say some of us won’t agree they could tweak QI a little but with what most people are complaining about seems to point more to the direction of the Prosecutor.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Not really anything to explain. My opinion allowing for qualified immunity can excuse stupid acts Performed by a person.

Not really sure how to make it any clearer for you.
    You responded to his post asking you to expand on your line of thought. I was simply pointing out that you responded with less than any expansion. You're point is clear, and I understand what you're trying to say. However, it doesn't reflect what QI actually protects, and I think he was asking you to explain why you think that QI protects stupidity or is somehow used to excuse it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You responded to his post asking you to expand on your line of thought. I was simply pointing out that you responded with less than any expansion. You're point is clear, and I understand what you're trying to say. However, it doesn't reflect what QI actually protects, and I think he was asking you to explain why you think that QI protects stupidity or is somehow used to excuse it.
    Why do you think that certain trades need QI?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Dummy rounds are painted blue or have a blue strip. IMO the “official“ story doesn’t pass the smell test for me.

I will leave it at that I got the “look” from a Brigadier General at the final meeting.
    That means shut the $()# up.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Let’s say Officer Snuffy does something stupid even outside the department SOP’s. QI does not keep you from suing the department or him. And if he is within the department SOP’s again QI doesn’t keep you from suing the Department. And usually they would settle out of court for $$$ and agree to change policy. so again I’m not sure what a lot of folks beef is with it.

That’s not to say some of us won’t agree they could tweak QI a little but with what most people are complaining about seems to point more to the direction of the Prosecutor.
    It is time to re-exam QI for the police and absolute immunity for prosecutors and judges.

My own attempt to create an exception to absolute immunity for judges hit a wall, but I look forward to the coming public opinion debate.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Certain jobs are extremely unique in their responsibilities. If I have followed the law and department policy, I shouldn't have to worry about defending my personal assets every day I go into work.
    I don't think you will, I think what has happened in other states would happen here in that malpractice insurance would be part of the compensation package and 401K/pensions/PERF would buy insurance/reinsurance.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Certain jobs are extremely unique in their responsibilities. If I have followed the law and department policy, I shouldn't have to worry about defending my personal assets every day I go into work.
    If you have followed the law and policy why would you be concerned?
    Ive worked 50 years in many different careers, not once was I concerned about being sued. If I was concerned that I could be sued like Kirk posted I would carry my own insurance policy like my neighbor the Pharmacist.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If you have followed the law and policy why would you be concerned?
    Ive worked 50 years in many different careers, not once was I concerned about being sued. If I was concerned that I could be sued like Kirk posted I would carry my own insurance policy like my neighbor the Pharmacist.
    You see the world we live in now? Every run we take, people just standing by recording every move. That's fine but THEY get to edit/control how it's posted on social media. A video clip is all that is needed to blow up your life. I had an arrest related death. He died with my handcuffs on. We got him immediate medical help...twice. We did everything by the book. I was accused of torture, called a racist, evil, etc. It took 7 years in Federal Court and ended at the SCOTUS before our QI was affirmed and the case was dismissed. 7 years as a defendant, named personally and I did NOTHING wrong. I've been sued several times, this was the worst. NONE of them had merit, most were chalked with 100% fabrications/lies. Some, the City settled just to move on, it's a slap in the face to me and it encourages more lawsuits. We can talk about how the world SHOULD be but in reality, terrible lawyers are convincing stupid people that they can make money off my back. It's an industry and I don't trust it. Again, this is a unique profession where the legal stakes are very high and a Federal law that focuses on that profession and is vague enough to justify just about any lawsuit you can think of.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You see the world we live in now? Every run we take, people just standing by recording every move. That's fine but THEY get to edit/control how it's posted on social media. A video clip is all that is needed to blow up your life. I had an arrest related death. He died with my handcuffs on. We got him immediate medical help...twice. We did everything by the book. I was accused of torture, called a racist, evil, etc. It took 7 years in Federal Court and ended at the SCOTUS before our QI was affirmed and the case was dismissed. 7 years as a defendant, named personally and I did NOTHING wrong. I've been sued several times, this was the worst. NONE of them had merit, most were chalked with 100% fabrications/lies. Some, the City settled just to move on, it's a slap in the face to me and it encourages more lawsuits. We can talk about how the world SHOULD be but in reality, terrible lawyers are convincing stupid people that they can make money off my back. It's an industry and I don't trust it. Again, this is a unique profession where the legal stakes are very high and a Federal law that focuses on that profession and is vague enough to justify just about any lawsuit you can think of.
    Ok, now just the opposite.
    My youngest sister is a retired Deval Co Florida Detective in the Sheriffs Dept, Not once in 25 years was she sued.
    I can sue my doctor, pharmacist, landlord and endless other trades of income.
    LE should be no different with business liabilities, carry insurance.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ok, now just the opposite.
    My youngest sister is a retired Deval Co Florida Detective in the Sheriffs Dept, Not once in 25 years was she sued.
    I can sue my doctor, pharmacist, landlord and endless other trades of income.
    LE should be no different with business liabilities, carry insurance.
    QI doesn't keep you from getting sued. It just removes me from personal liability if I didn't break the law or violate policy and that is determined in court. The City/Municipality can still get sued. I cannot speak about why your now retired sister was never sued. I can say that I've been an officer for over 25 years now. 21 of those are on the street as a run taker and now a supervisor. Only 4 were spent in a office. I'll likely spend another 10 before I pull the plug and it'll likely be in operations/street. Maybe that's the difference?

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    QI doesn't keep you from getting sued. It just removes me from personal liability if I didn't break the law or violate policy and that is determined in court. The City/Municipality can still get sued. I cannot speak about why your now retired sister was never sued. I can say that I've been an officer for over 25 years now. 21 of those are on the street as a run taker and now a supervisor. Only 4 were spent in a office. I'll likely spend another 10 before I pull the plug and it'll likely be in operations/street. Maybe that's the difference?
    Nope, not much difference. About 10 doing runs and earning a few degrees and then she worked 5-600 homicides as a Detective and then Forensics. She Cuffed & Stuffed her share of Bad Boys.
    We have been a litigious Nation since we have had a court system.
    LE should be open to litigation like the rest of the world.

Top Bottom