• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I found a pointer to this study when I was reading Clayton Cramer's comments on mandatory background checks for all.

Go check out his blog comments, and then check out the study here:

The Effect of Gun Shows on Gun-Related Deaths: Evidence from California and Texas

Clayton says one of the authors of the study favors gun control.

The study compares California (requires background check and 10-day waiting period for all firearms sales) with Texas (no background check for private sales, no waiting period, ZOMG!) over a 10 year period and looks for changes in the homicide and suicide rates around the time of gun shows, in zip codes containing or close to gun shows. During the 1994-2004 period studied, California and Texas accounted for about 20% of the US population and over 3300 gun shows.

Some highlights:

From the abstract:
    We find no evidence that gun shows lead to substantial increases in either gun homicides or suicides. In addition, tighter regulation of gun shows does not appear to reduce the number of firearms-related deaths.

In California:
    For example, our findings indicate that in the average year from 1994 to 2004, there are four additional gun suicides in the entire state of California resulting from the 102 gun shows occurring in the average year. Moreover, this increase is offset entirely by an almost identical decline in the number of non-gun suicides, suggesting that gun shows influence the
    method but not the number of suicides. We find no evidence to suggest that gun shows increased the number of homicides in California during our study period.

And in Texas:
    But our results provide little evidence of a gun show-induced increase in mortality in Texas. In fact, we find that in the two weeks following a gun show, the average number of gun
    homicides
    declines in the area surrounding the gun show. Aggregating across all gun shows in the state, we find that there are approximately 16 fewer gun homicides resulting from the 200 gun shows in the average year.

According to the study, Texas had nearly twice as many gun shows as California.

California needs to end killer background checks now! And hold more gun shows.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This is really good info.

You ad this to the reports from the FBI showing the mean-time to crime for guns involved in crimes is 10 years (11 in Chicago) and pretty much demolishes most of the nonsense being spewed by the anti's about loopholes.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How many people will actually read that study vs how many people get their news from Comedy Central.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    How many people will actually read that study vs how many people get their news from Comedy Central.
    That's the problem. The sheeple that actually should be reading this kind of stuff never will. It's hidden from them by people with agendas and they will never seek it out on their own. They keep gobbling up the spoon fed gruel of deception that poisons their minds.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We now have a population of sheep who can only grasp sound-bites. A few years ago when he was in high school my son did a speech titled, "Twitter makes you stupid". It was about how 140 characters isn't enough to express logical thought. The sheep hear "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE" and go back to looking at Facebook or Comedy Central for their news. The abstract in most studies will be 140-200 words, they can't get past the first sentence.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's the problem. The sheeple that actually should be reading this kind of stuff never will. It's hidden from them by people with agendas and they will never seek it out on their own. They keep gobbling up the spoon fed gruel of deception that poisons their minds.

True, the only research press releases that make it to the mainstream news are when there is an an anti-gun conclusion. Even then the press release is often misleading and not exactly what the research actually found when you read the published manuscript.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone defined what this "Gun Show Loophole" is. When I've purchased a firearm at a Gun Show I went through the same procedures as I do at a Gun Dealers Store.

Please help this old man and explain it to me. The Democrats can't define it, even though they talk about it like they are experts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Has anyone defined what this "Gun Show Loophole" is. When I've purchased a firearm at a Gun Show I went through the same procedures as I do at a Gun Dealers Store.

Please help this old man and explain it to me. The Democrats can't define it, even though they talk about it like they are experts.

Read the study linked in the OP. They define it. Does that make it an actual loophole? Not really.

Last edited:

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Living in NWI as I do 95% of the news reports I receive are from Chicago. That idiot DICK Durbin was in the news claiming that 60% of the "illegal guns" used in Illinois "gun violence" were purchased at NWI gun shows. His claim (almost verbatim) was " Anyone can go to a NWI gun show and fill their trunk up with guns without a background check and sell them on the streets of Chicago". People in Crook county and the "collar counties" surrounding Chicago actually believe this horse****.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    They believe it because most of it is true, as stated.

60%? Questionable. Show your stats, Dickie-boy...

Fact: Anyone can go to a NWI gun show. We call it freedom of travel.

Fact: Anyone can...fill their trunk up with guns.... True. That would be freedom of association and free enterprise, along with capitalism; note that this does not mean that the action is completely lawful.

Fact: ...without a background check... True. One only gets a background check if s/he goes through a FFL dealer. Again, this does not mean it is lawful.

Fact: ...and sell them on the streets of Chicago. True. They can't do that legally, because they've crossed state lines among other reasons, but they CAN do it.

Durbin has the power to address this. He can propose limiting freedom of travel, freedom of association, free enterprise, and capitalism. If he chooses to do this, his unAmerican stance should be publicly called out and have the hell ridiculed out of it and him.

Blessings,
    Bill

Living in NWI as I do 95% of the news reports I receive are from Chicago. That idiot DICK Durbin was in the news claiming that 60% of the "illegal guns" used in Illinois "gun violence" were purchased at NWI gun shows. His claim (almost verbatim) was " Anyone can go to a NWI gun show and fill their trunk up with guns without a background check and sell them on the streets of Chicago". People in Crook county and the "collar counties" surrounding Chicago actually believe this horse****.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    I guess I should have pointed out what Durbin said is essentially true. But, he presents in a manner suggesting laws do not exist to currently legally block sales to out of staters. The anti's in Illinois know zero about gun laws and the failure to enforce them in their state. Chicago is now down 2000 police officers. I'd like to see these stats presented to the public.

2016 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

Top Bottom