• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So wife and I are headed to the The Smokies and we are avoiding all the tourist traps, well maybe except for Smokey Mountain Gun and Knife, and maybe Buds. But we plan on doing a fair amount of hiking. So I am wondering what makes a boot a hiking boot. My wife says I will look like an idiot if I wear my work boots, and was told I need to find an alternative.

Summer time I am usually a sandal person. So really looking for suggestions as what might be a good option?

Thanks

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Sounds like casual hiking.

Comfort, ankle protection, tread on the sole that looks like an of road truck tire and broken in before vacation.

That will pretty much do casual hiking for your trip.
    There are some rocky areas, we want to hike back to old abandoned structures.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Keens are great if you want to spend a little more money. If not Hi-Tek is hard to beat for the price. Both have steel-toed models is you want to use them for work.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Send it! They'll do fine. Who cares what you look like if your knees are happy.

I was concerned you were talking about somewhat smooth sole work boots farm guys use.
    We want to hike back to the historic fire tower as well. I encounter some rough stuff daily at work. If only I could convince my wife I won’t look like an idiot?

I mean T shirt my favorite cargo shorts ball cap Why not?

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have worn the soles off 2 pair of Merrells, can't say that about ANY other boot or shoe.
    Not the Moab's as OG suggested but I will probably be picking up a pair of those soon.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Loved my first pair of MOABs, but not the second pair. Second pair was narrower and not as high on the ankle. Also had less eyelets to tie with. Fine for daily walking, but not on rocky or uneven ground. I will be looking for a different brand next time

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    sandals in summer? you’ll want Chacos or similar. I’ve put countless miles on my Chacos.

for boots it’s a pretty personal decision as decent stuff costs some coin and there is lots of factors to consider. Merrell makes a good value. Also Salomon, Danner, Asolo, are just some others. Danner makes some in USA, like the Mountain Light ii’s which are one of my favorites.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Keens are great if you want to spend a little more money. If not Hi-Tek is hard to beat for the price. Both have steel-toed models is you want to use them for work.
    I'm on my 2nd pair of Keens. Mostly use them for fishing, so mud, some rip rap, water, etc. Really like them.

I've got these https://www.keenfootwear.com/products/mens-targhee-iii-waterproof-mid-bungee-cord-black

You can also get them in just a shoe /ankle height. I prefer the mid boot in case water gets above the ankle.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Both the hubs and I have had great success with the Merrell Moab. That's the only thing I want if I've got to walk over rocks or stone. They don't take much breaking in, but I'd spend some time in them before you go Smokey Mountain hiking...that will save you some blisters.
    I would never hike in new boots. It could be miserable.

Top Bottom