• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So I understand on large private land, it's easy to setup decoys, hunt a field for bird, etc. For obvious reasons, I don't see how a public forest is at all reasonable for safe shooting at birds. I'm finding preserves that release pheasant, quail or similar into an area and let you hunt them. Is there anything in between? Are there any public lands that designate safe shooting directions for field hunting birds well away from trails?

$80 to release 6 pheasants into an area and $50 for a guide and dog sounds fun and still sportsman like, but maybe only one time. I'm seeing flat rock hunting preserve as the closest to fishers. Anywhere else you'd recommend? Or even better, any INGOrs with property looking for company?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    So I understand on large private land, it's easy to setup decoys, hunt a field for bird, etc. For obvious reasons, I don't see how a public forest is at all reasonable for safe shooting at birds. I'm finding preserves that release pheasant, quail or similar into an area and let you hunt them. Is there anything in between? Are there any public lands that designate safe shooting directions for field hunting birds well away from trails?

$80 to release 6 pheasants into an area and $50 for a guide and dog sounds fun and still sportsman like, but maybe only one time. I'm seeing flat rock hunting preserve as the closest to fishers. Anywhere else you'd recommend? Or even better, any INGOrs with property looking for company? 

If I understand your question, Shawn Brown at Royal Flush in Parke County runs a good operation. Although it`s been several years since I`ve hunted there, he`s always done it right. And yes, it`s expensive to have pheasant and quail set out, and to hunt over someone elses dogs, but if you have neither a place to hunt with wild birds, nor your own, trained bird dog, it`s all you`ve got. Get some buddies to go with you and split the guide fee 3 ways. It helps make it as little less painful on the wallet. But Royal Flush is a great place to hunt.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Flat Rock is closed I believe. The owner got up in years and retired. I would suggest trying Fields Outdoor Adventures in Rushville. They own a gun and bow shop in town and one of the boys has a preserve he does put and take hunts on. We did it last year and had a awesome time. The preserve is done well with 3 separate fields planted in different styles of vegetation.

They do Pheasant, Chukkar and Quail. His Pheasants and Quail flew awesome last year. They got up quick and flew fast.

One thing I recommend is to wait a few weeks until after they open and it starts to cool down. That will get you in for a hunt after other hunters have come in and potentially missed some birds or the dogs couldn't locate them. That means you will have your birds that were put out plus the others that are possibly living still from other groups.

We went last year after a group of 9 guys who were beginners. I guess they only killed half their birds so we had multiple extra birds in the field.

The thing I liked about them compared to the other places I have done it is they are extremely laid back. The owner went out with us to just take some pics while the guide and dogs worked and just chatted about his property and deer hunting.

If you are up for a drive there are a couple of places in southern Indiana that are beautiful. Lost River and Sugar Creek both are nice but tend to be busier.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes Flat Rock is closed, my boys and I had several outing at that place and the owner and his dogs were wonderful. I had a very bad experience with Royal Flush. The dogs were bad and the birds didn't fly, you had to kick them to get them to fly. I haven't been to Sugar Creek but several friends go there yearly and have nothing but good to say about the operation.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

$80 to release 6 pheasants into an area and $50 for a guide and dog sounds fun and still sportsman like, but maybe only one time. I'm seeing flat rock hunting preserve as the closest to fishers. Anywhere else you'd recommend? Or even better, any INGOrs with property looking for company? 

You've received some good comments on hunting preserves but I'm a little confused by the initial post since you mentioned decoys, do you want to upland hunt(quail, woodcock, or grouse), dove hunt, or waterfowl hunt? Also, I'm not finding the reasons why bird hunting on public land is dangerous all that obvious. With the exception of a select few public properties, upland hunting on public property is not really viable, not for safety issues but for the lack of birds. Goo dove hunting opportunities are readily available at several public properties, especially if you are willing to drive. Same with waterfowl.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have never had luck hunting upland birds on any public property except for the pheasant areas in Benton/Newton/White counties. All the rest were duds and I tried many of them.

As for hunting preserves Kickapoo in Attica is a good place to go. The owner has actual champion dogs if you do not. Nice set up and good birds when I have been there including Hungarian partridge which are a treat.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Geese seem to use the north-south highway system almost like a river. If you can get field access to something along say I-69 or I-65 to put out decoys and camp up you could call them right in. I little luck is always needed.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! Looks like Fields outdoor adventures will be getting my business once I convince one of my few hunting buddies to go!

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I think you will enjoy fields, Ryan is a nice guy. Another suggestion is wait and book a hunt when it is cooler later in the season, dew in the mornings and in the high 30s - 40s. I have made the mistake of booking too soon for a day when the temps were suppose to have dropped into the mid 40s to low 50s but since it was early in the season it ended up getting into the high 60s.

The dogs get hot and tired and I guess the scent of the birds doesn't come off as strong when it is warm. The dog handlers told us that the moisture in the air and ground when it is colder helps the scent adhere better so the dogs can follow it. That is just what I was told but on the warmer days I do notice the dogs struggle to find birds.

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    Most preserves have several fields and only put one group in a field. I have felt safe at all the preserves I have been to. Royal Flush, Sugar Creek, Barnes, and one other I forget. I have dogs and like to go out and I organize a hunt for new hunters once a year. We do a safety brief, practice on some clay pigeons and then head out. So PM me if interested, also check with Pheasants Forever, Quail Forever chapters in your area.

Top Bottom