• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I hit a very large owl with my drivers side mounted spotlight. It was sitting on or near the roadway and took off right as I got to it. I was running about 70 or so with my drivers side window down about 1 inch or so. It was messy and scared the living heck out of me even though I saw what was likely going to happen. I spent about a hour at the car wash cleaning up the mess including a back seat full of feathers and other stuff.

Years of night shift driving at higher speeds has ingrained in my brain to not swerve, brake hard or makes any other drastic moves over a animal. I have been very fortunate so far with no vehicles seriously damaged or crashed yet. Way too many close calls however especially with deer.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I think she has grounds for appeal based on ineffective counsel.

Defense attorney Marc Labelle said Czornobaj was shocked by the verdict. He wondered how she could be found guilty of criminal negligence in the absence of other contributing factors."This was not a race. This was not a person who took a chance and drove drunk," Labelle*told the Montreal Gazette*after the verdict. "This is not about someone who was speeding and took a risky maneuver."

If there are no other factors other than your client's reckless actions that caused the death of others, then guess what counsellor... She is guilty.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One of my rookies flattened a mom possum and the nine babies she was carrying. He felt bad but would have been feeling much worse had he wrecked my car.

I hear ya! Good call on his part.

My brothers girl friend managed to come around a curve and plowed over a family of ducks. She felt really bad. He told her that they were ducks and should have "ducked". It did not go over well.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...I have been very fortunate so far with no vehicles seriously damaged or crashed yet. Way too many close calls however especially with deer.
    Had a buddy hit a deer at highway speeds with an old Buick LeSabre (remember when they were sized 'Nimitz class'?!), some years ago.

Killed the deer (duh) but absolutely destroyed the front end, windshield, and roof of that old gun boat. Totaled. Fortunately, my buddy came out okay, "shaken, not stirred".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Life in prison? Seriously? I will grant you that this wasn't the brightest thing she did this year, but honestly, people get far less for deliberate murder.
    But baby geese!

Ducks.

Whatever.

So the boulevard where I work in Louisville has a goose xing.......sign. Every now and again I see a goose carcass and I have to pull over, take my hat off, bow my head, and think of the poor schmuck probably sitting facing the judge right at that moment.

"But yer lordship, really. I really do love the geese. Especially the babies. It's not my fault. I was trying to find MSNBC on Sirius XM. And then I looked up and saw the babies crossing the road after the mama. I swerved and...um...(fighting back the tears)...the mama leaped into my path. It was horrible. The babies are now motherless because of me. My little girl has disowned me. My wife is even leaving me now. And what's worse, I can't get the goose blood silhouette print off of my white Prius. What will my friends say!?"

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Had a buddy hit a deer at highway speeds with an old Buick LeSabre (remember when they were sized 'Nimitz class'?!), some years ago.

Killed the deer (duh) but absolutely destroyed the front end, windshield, and roof of that old gun boat. Totaled. Fortunately, my buddy came out okay, "shaken, not stirred".

I am always amazed at the damage a 150 lbs deer does to a vehicle.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you see a deer on I-65, do not slow down and honk your horn as this is the secret deer challenge signal and the deer will attack your vehicle.

1255367457.jpg

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    A spring time deer above in Kirks pic. Ever notice how deer are very active in spring and fall time?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I've hit one deer, it was in a 1971 olds 98. I was doing between 50-55 mph at impact. All it did was knock out half the grill and the alignment slightly off one of the headlights. That was a tough old car. They were the largest (and iirc heaviest) cars olds ever made. I swear the body was made out of 1/4" plate instead of sheet metal.... I loved that car except for the gas mileage.

I am always amazed at the damage a 150 lbs deer does to a vehicle.

Depends on the car. In the accident above, when the LEO arrived I asked if he needed my info. He said no, he didn't need any witness reports. I told him I was the one that hit it. He looked at my car and asked what car was I driving. I told him that one. He just shook his head.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You found my dog!!!

Seriously, I don't brake for animals. It's called natural selection! I'll slow down and maybe change lanes if it is safe. No panic stops!

I have had to do this. I will avoid if possible. I will not wreck my or anyone elses vehicle for an animal in the road. I have had to make panic maneuvers to miss idiot people in the road and put others at risk but will not for an animal.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Haven't seen it with a goose. I did see what happens with a wild turkey at about 50mph. It's not pretty.

Had a goose take off from the north side of 116th street east of 465 14 years ago, hit it midflight on the top of an Frieghtliner Business class tadem tractor. Square in the middle right where the cab roof and window meet.

End result was one dead goose, windshield caved in 8 inches and the cab roof damaged so bad that they had to replace the whole cab, glad to have a construction crew see it happen, nobody would have ever believed it.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have a confession, fellow INGOers.

I was working the other day, transporting a patient up to Indianapolis. I was on 31N doing about 60 and a pigeon landed in front of the ambulance. I thought I could get him under the truck, between the tires. I was less than 10 feet away when he spotted me. He took off and I whacked him with the chrome bumper. Looked in the mirror and all I say was a cloud of feathers shoot out behind the truck. Sad? Yes. My fault? Heck no, he shouldn't have landed in front of me!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I don't understand why people want to protect the geese so much! There are a lot of them already! I remember when I was young, we rarely saw them except during migrating. They were cool then. Now they are noisy pooping machines. I'm soft-hearted, but if I can't safely brake for animals, then I don't. I feel bad for all parties involved in this incident, except for the geese.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had to wade through a herd of geese with the bus. I asked the kids "who wants goose for dinner?" You know, there's still a bag limit on the Canadian vermin geese, but not on "white geese" which is not something I've ever seen any of in the wild.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    ..... but absolutely destroyed the front end, windshield, and roof of that old gun boat. Totaled.....

Precisely why I now have one of these!

SuburbanBrushGuard_zps1193ccb8.jpg

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    There are more than enough Canada geese to go around. If a few don't make it, life will go on. Now, if you see any of those big white Mute swans do the world a favor and aim for it. Invasive species, bad. There are other white swans, but none that I've ever seen in Indiana, you can google it :)

Top Bottom