• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This bill discriminates against those of us who open carry. I don't like it.

Learn from the gun grabbers... a little at a time is better than nothing at all. And wouldn't the regulation of how it's carried be a state law? Seems this just makes the licensing accepted accross state lines...

Although I like the idea, it violates states' rights.

I'm a huge proponent of state's rights. But I've not been convinced this violates that. States would still have their own carry laws (whether carry is legal, carry in bars, notification of LEO, concealed vs open, etc). This just means that the license is recognized. It's a great analogy to driving.... states create their own traffic laws, licensince requirements, etc, but licenses from other states are accepted to allow you to drive. It doesn't force new regulations or costs on the states.... Does being allowed to drive in OH on an IN D/L violate OH's rights as a state?

I'm open to being convinced state's rights trump this, but I just don't yet see it....

-rvb

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Although I like the idea, it violates states' rights.

States that limit our 2nd amendment rights?

A bill that allows us to atleast cc to other states is better then nothing. And we could still OC in Indiana. Where we are probably 95% of the time

GTM, I'm with you in a perfect world. But if you agree that the 2A is unconstitutionally infringed upon by states' CCW, LTCH, etc laws, at least this is progress. Think of bills such as this as anti-progressive, progress;)

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    So am I understanding this right? This would be an all 50 states deal? Like Law enforcement Officers already have?

What makes this any different then what we already have?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    So am I understanding this right? This would be an all 50 states deal? Like Law enforcement Officers already have?

What makes this any different then what we already have?

It would not necessarily be all 50 states. The key thing about this proposal is that it does not force states that do not have some sort of provision for citizens to carry to honor other states' licenses to carry. However, IF a state has a provision for citizens to carry, then they would have to honor other states licenses, just as they already honor vehicle operator licenses.

So, for example, since Illinois does not currently have a provision for citizens to carry, if this bill were to become law tonight, you still could not carry in Illinois tomorrow.

But what this does provide is a requirement that the states that currently do not honor Indiana's LTCH must begin to honor it. And that's still a pretty large list.

However, I would rather go without this national reciprocity if it were to come at the expense of something like "universal background checks" as the "compromise." I'd rather work with the system as it is—getting non-resident permits and avoiding states where I can't carry—than surrender the freedom to buy or sell a firearm without running it by Big Brother first.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    The AG of Illinois has appealed the 3 judge ruling that requires the 180 mandate to pass the law. Being that it is still in the appeal process, I believe that the state is now exempt from having to pass that during the time constraints imposed by the judge. On the other hand, if the full 7 judge panel refuses the appeal, then I believe the 180 day clock would start ticking again, all the way back from the original date of the initial ruling.

A couple of corrections are needed from the above post...

First, the AG of Illinois's appeal is for the ruling that IL no carry law is unconstitutional. The judge stayed his decision for 180 days to give the state a chance to fix their own mess. The 180 clock started on Dec. 9 and has not stopped. The clock ends on June 9th. On June 10th, if IL has not passed some type of concealed carry, IL becomes a free for all with no carry restrictions. :)

The only thing I believe that can stop the clock would be if the full 7th agrees to a new hearing. The odds of the full 7th granting a new hearing are really small (something like less than 0.5% of the time) Given that Posner (a very respected jurist wrote the original decision and that the appeal is really weak) the odds of a rehearing are that much worse.....

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Top Bottom