• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Another vote for the Ruger P95 or a used Smith k-frame in .357 or .38. For something different, how about a surplus Tokarov?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for the info guys! I've passed the list on to him. I'll see what he wants to do. I really like the Bersa idea myself. If I had a spare 300 I'd think about the one in Evansville.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    You can find a kahr cw9 new or used in that price range, they are easy to carry. I've seen a few s&w shields go for $325 used also.

maceace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    NWI
    this would be my pick, cz999, sig 226 copy, comes with 2 15 round mags, reliable as all get out and accurate to shoot...I have had one since charles daly imported them and its been unstoppable with all types of ammo...
    The turkish pistols like the canik and sar are good deals also however no personal experience with either..
    If he can get his hands on a used glock (hard to find for under 300) or springfield xd (slightly easier) then that would be the best way to go for a beginner however....
    Zastava CZ999 Full Size 9mm HG3192-N

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    You've received some good options here. I'd recommend saving another $100 to be at the $400 price range which opens up more options. If he is low on money, how is he going to afford ammo and (if he doesn't have a free place to practice) range time?

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Raven .25 ACP for under $100. Good self defense gun if you've got a strong throwing arm.

pimpgun.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The Bersa .380 is a great option, as long as he can find the ammo to go with it. .380 has been a bit difficult to come across, and darn near impossible to find cheap lately. If you look really hard, a Karh is possible to find around the $300 price range, and is an excellent gun.

My favorite handgun that I personally carry that falls into that price range is a S&W 442. Small, accurate, and 38 Special is a usable caliber that is usually not too expensive to shoot. Controls on a revolver are about as simple as you will find, and the issues of getting a lemon are a bit less than a used auto pistol.

Lots of great suggestions here, stick with the quality manufacturers, and be aware of the cost/availability of the ammo that the pistol he chooses, and it should be fairly easy to find something that not only fills that need, but is actually a decent gun.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I agree with the Smith and Wesson VE best value out right now. Rumor has it Glock sued S&W because of patten infringement and won. So S&W has to pay Glock for the profits made now so S&W just sells them for no profit to rub Glock's face in it.

Also you can find some Citidel and RIA 1911's in 9mm for around $350

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The S&W SD9VE is just a re-packaged Sigma, yes? Why would you want to go there? I also wouldn't go the .380 route when there are so many quality 9mms out there that you can get at a good price.

Top Bottom