• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Has anyone ever seen Hickok 45 shoot anything that he could not ring the 80 yard gong with? I'm not debating caliber here, only that for myself, more training and practice would not hurt.

That's a standard stationary target.... It's hard not to miss and get a ring... Have them shoot back at you while mortars drop, then try and shoot that same target.... Shoot, move, relocate... That is entirely different story, so again training is paramount for your survival... It wouldn't hurt? Don't be so nonchalant and passive with that, training will save your life one day... Stop stressing about caliber, get quality range time, end of story....

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I can’t ever carry anything but a 1911 again. Everything else feels so wrong. I wouldn’t mind a higher end lightweight 3” 1911. As for personal preference it’s just that. Carry what you like and shoot well. Anything else is a waste of money and time if you don’t carry and shoot it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The winner of the Outstanding American Handgunner of the Year Award in 1998, Mas has won several state and regional handgun shooting championships. Ayoob is one of approximately ten Five Gun Masters among the 10,000-member International Defensive Pistol Association, and was the first to earn that title.
    Actually the Outstanding American Handgunner of the Year Award isn't awarded for competitive shooting expertise. I'll take your word on the state and regional championships. No national shooting championships under his belt? Like I said, I'm not trying to tear him down, but he seems to always be puffed up. Some of the best trainers I have ever known were never recognized in publications or on the internet. Not every top, nationally ranked competitor can effectively relate his or her expertise to others.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Actually the Outstanding American Handgunner of the Year Award isn't awarded for competitive shooting expertise. I'll take your word on the state and regional championships. No national shooting championships under his belt? Like I said, I'm not trying to tear him down, but he seems to always be puffed up.

I've met and worked with him. He struck me as the opposite of puffed up. If you have to be a national champ to be a "highly proficient competition shooter", I guess there's pretty much nobody here who's even proficient, then.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    That's a standard stationary target.... It's hard not to miss and get a ring... Have them shoot back at you while mortars drop, then try and shoot that same target.... Shoot, move, relocate... That is entirely different story, so again training is paramount for your survival... It wouldn't hurt? Don't be so nonchalant and passive with that, training will save your life one day... Stop stressing about caliber, get quality range time, end of story....

Thank you for your service to our country. I will never be as gung ho as you. I'm sure no matter how much practice and training I did would ever get me to 10% of your proficiency. I have had no training, but have my own little shooting range that I send a few thousand rounds per year down. Someone asked me yesterday why I carried. I told them the main reason was so I never found myself hiding under a table waiting to be shot, rather hiding under the table waiting to shoot the gunman. I have spent the last 52 years not needing to ever use a firearm other than to put meat on the table. I seriously doubt, and hope I do not ever need to use a firearm against a human being. But I plan to continue to carry just in case there is that one time. I put more faith in my Maker to give me the ability I need. But again, I do shoot frequently so as to do my part. Stay Gung Ho!!

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    MY EDC is an XD Subcompact and I am happy with it...I also frequently carry a Kahr PM9, sometimes solo and sometimes in a pocket as backup....Can't go wrong with either IMO...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana

Thank you for your service, couldn't agree more especially with the parts I highlighted. Speaking of moving, I read somewhere years ago the theory on why Wyatt Earp didn't get hit at the OK Corral was because he didn't move much. The theory stated that eyes will follow the moving target more and ignore the still one. True or not who knows. I have trained on a lot of moving targets and still ones and to be honest don't think I ignored any of them !

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yeah, like a modern day Costa compared to Hayley and Yeager lol Nah, I love the beard, that over extended C CLAMP!!! Hayley I have had the pleasure of serving indirectly without realizing it... I'd go into the pits of hell again with any of those guys... Yes, Ayoob is very articulate and knows his stuff, but his real world application is lacking, but still, I trust his logic... Just not like all of these supposed boys in blue gravel at his feet... This was my NILEA class 12-27 and they harped all day on Ayoob, I still have all my criminal law and power point notes with all his stuff... 75% of it is him...

Why did he get shootered......officially?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've met and worked with him. He struck me as the opposite of puffed up. If you have to be a national champ to be a "highly proficient competition shooter", I guess there's pretty much nobody here who's even proficient, then.
    I've been around Ayoob and he seemed modest. I didn't make it clear that I thought others puffed him up. Like I said, he does a lot of good as an expert witness. I get more from Street Survival Seminars, as far as, getting the scoop direct from the horse's mouth. I don't know how good or relevant his firearm's training is. It may be very good. I still like my Kahr CM-9 with Crimson Trace for EDC (keeping it relevant).

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    It always tickles me to see how a simple question can turn into a debate on so many different things.:dunno:
    I carry Glock 26 and a Glock 43. Both are excellent guns and I find them to be very accurate. Nothing wrong with the Shield though, my Son-in-law has one and it is a great little gun. I have always used glocks and have a closet full of Glock Stuff.:popcorn:

guitarman1474

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2018
    Greenwood
    Thanks to all of you who answered my question! I'm certainly getting the training, education, and testing out as many as possible. A couple mentioned in here I had never heard about. Thanks! :rockwoot:

And...thanks to the rest of you for making my thread look longer than it really is? :ugh:

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I didn't want to like my Kahr PM9(i'm more used to DA/SA metal framed guns) but it carries great, is reliable, and I shoot it very accurately. Definitely my favorite Sub-Compact size gun that I have ever shot or owned.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The P938 is carried cocked and locked (hammer back with safety on) like a 1911. Some people don't like carrying that way.

This is what I was referring to as far as the safety. If I had stuck with that platform and just practiced with it, there would be no problem. But even when hunting, I have missed a rabbit or a deer because I forgot to take the safety off. That could get a person killed in a gun battle. The fit and finish of the P938 is excellent. The feel in my hand is perfect. The accuracy is way better than me, and function has always been flawless except for some light primer strikes that were due to carbon build up on the breech, which once I discovered it, quickly scraped it off and solved the problem. If you trained consistently to flip off the safety, you would "probably" be fine. My first handgun was a single-action revolver and I never forgot to pull back the hammer. My first 9mm was a BHP clone which is 1911ish. I just strayed away.

Top Bottom