Sub MOA 3 shot group... FROM A MOSIN NAGANT!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I've been documenting my Mosin M44 build here on INGO ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._the_nagant_family_of_rifles.html#post1468518 ) So after all my recent work, I finally got out to the range today (South Central Gun Club, Freetown, IN) to put the rifle on paper. I was able to achieve my goal of 1 MOA precision. :D:D:D The paper speaks for itself! :D:D:D

3/19/2011 South Central Gun Club, Freetown, IN

Sub MOA 3 shot group @ 100 yards

picture.php

7.62x54R Winchester 180gr FMJ

Custom Mosin Nagant M44 :rockwoot:

picture.php

For any of you ney-sayers, Meet me at South Central some time and I'll let you shoot her yourself! I promise, you'll walk away wanting a Mosin of your own :ingo:

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nice Job!! I had a Tikka rebarreled Nagant that was never reissued and it shot very well, but nothing as good as yours. Pretty impressive.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Impressive.

I have a semi off-topic rambling though - your MOA ranking is related to precision, not accuracy. Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to an expected value (or how close your shot is to the bulls eye). Precision refers to the repeatability of a measurement, or how close each shot is to the rest of the group.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've been wanting a 7.62x54r bolt action for awhile, but I want a modern rifle chambered in it, with all the modern wingdings and what not.

I guess I could do a mosin build some day, I just don't see it out-shooting my PSL.

I'd like to know how people can get a hair trigger on a mosin. After my friend got one and I took it apart, I was completely baffled as to how you could do more than just clean up the trigger pull.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Good shooting? Fluke? Luck?

Who knows...being able to shoot 5 shot groups on demand is the real measure of accuracy. Benchrest shooters feel 10 shots at 100 and 5 at 200 are accurate measurements of a rifle's potential.

I am not downplaying your achievement, good shooting is good shooting but if you want to prove the rifle's capabilities more than 3 shots per group are needed.

I also think you shouldn't put objects on the target, some folks may think you are hiding errant holes. Just about every sighting in target out there uses 1 inch grids or rings, prevents wondering.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Impressive.

I have a semi off-topic rambling though - your MOA ranking is related to precision, not accuracy. Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to an expected value (or how close your shot is to the bulls eye). Precision refers to the repeatability of a measurement, or how close each shot is to the rest of the group.

Ramblings accepted. I edited my initial post. I've been striving for repeatable precision, naturally accuracy will follow. Once precision is achieved, it is a simple matter of hold-over or adjusting the elevation/windage in one's scope.

Don't worry, my feelings aren't hurt. Verbage can be a pain sometimes... :):

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'd like to know how people can get a hair trigger on a mosin. After my friend got one and I took it apart, I was completely baffled as to how you could do more than just clean up the trigger pull.

Plain and simple, Timney Trigger.

Before that though, I had my gun shooting 3 shot groups just outside of an inch with a polished and shimmed trigger. You CAN get the stock trigger to perform, it is possible.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Ramblings accepted. I edited my initial post. I've been striving for repeatable precision, naturally accuracy will follow. Once precision is achieved, it is a simple matter of hold-over or adjusting the elevation/windage in one's scope.

Don't worry, my feelings aren't hurt. Verbage can be a pain sometimes... :):
    Good, glad I didn't come across as a total ass ;) As you said, once precision is achieved, accuracy is a matter of tuning your sights/scope.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Very nice sgreen3! If you're a South Central member, PM me next time you head out, I'd gladly meet you there for some Mosin shootin'!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Very nice sgreen3! If you're a South Central member, PM me next time you head out, I'd gladly meet you there for some Mosin shootin'!

Unfortunatly im not. Maybe have to set something up this summer whe I get some time off, an take the ol Mosin's out for a bit. get ahold of me:rockwoot:

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    I've always had good luck with my mosin at the range and been happy with how it shoots. I even took it hunting for a few years out in PA and took a doe and a buck with it. I have now retired it, but it did the job fine. Nice Job

Top Bottom