Sub MOA 3 shot group... FROM A MOSIN NAGANT!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    This is what I did with mine the first time I shot it, the other day. Range was 90 yards and I was using Russian surplus manufactured in '88.

Only mods were a shimmed receiver and barrel.

If anyone's interested, I'd like to shot against one of these 'scoped Mosin-Nagants. Not because I think I'd win, but rather as a baseline comparison: I want mine very accurate but relatively stock. If I am shooting 1.6MOA right now, I'm sure I can squeeze another .75MOA out of it with better ammo (these have no consistent powder charges and every bullet I've weighed comes in different!) and a correct pressure point(s) on the barrel.

Let me know when and where, and if I'm close enough I'll be glad to join you if you have a Mosin shoot.

Thanks!

Josh

Very nice Josh! I'd love to shoot a precision iron sight Mosin. I keep batting around the idea of doing another precision Mosin build but without glass....

Maybe we will have to organize a Modified Mosin Meeting. I'm not the best at organizing events, do we have someone highly qualified for just such a task? anyone, anyone?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Well, did the exact same thing while sighting in my adjustable front sight for my MN.

Last time I tried to organize something here, it didn't happen. 1911 build party; nobody could agree on a time and place, and it just sort of fizzled out.

We need someone who's done this before.

Josh

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I can't believe I skipped over this without a response. For shame...

Good shooting? Fluke? Luck?
    I blame it on good shooting, but I can value where you're coming from on this. I did only post 1 target, I did only show one 3 shot group, and it's the internet, you have to be some what skeptical from time to time. I don't blame you. Plus, being what the rifle is, you have to kind of wonder...

Who knows...being able to shoot 5 shot groups on demand is the real measure of accuracy. Benchrest shooters feel 10 shots at 100 and 5 at 200 are accurate measurements of a rifle's potential.
    I do need, and want, to get back out and send some serious round counts down range. I want to prove to myself that the rifle CAN be reliably accurate. I was excited about this clean, 3 shot group that I couldn't help post. If I get a break in the weather this weekend, I want to send down some multiple, 5-10 shot groups and see how I do. Since I only have 100 yards to work with at South Central (since there were other people there), that's unfortunately the only distance I had to work with. Next time, 10 shot groups @ 100.

I am not downplaying your achievement, good shooting is good shooting but if you want to prove the rifle's capabilities more than 3 shots per group are needed.
    No worries of downplaying, it's the internet. I'm not going to get my undies in a bunch... This is my next step. No worries man. I will definitely be posting up results, good or bad on that day. Of course, the overall goal is reliable, repeatable accuracy.

I also think you shouldn't put objects on the target, some folks may think you are hiding errant holes. Just about every sighting in target out there uses 1 inch grids or rings, prevents wondering.
    Hindsight being 50/50, I see what you're saying here. I fell into that pattern of placing objects to show relative size. Next post, no objects. I think we as men are always using something to show relative size no matter what the topic is, whether it's shot groups, fish, or other things:):...

Thank you for your skepticism 451_Detonics. I will take it as motivation.:ingo:

Top Bottom