• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I am looking for some feedback from Subaru Outback owners, since I am going to look at one tonight. The reviews I have read have been generally positive, but the head gasket issue, and some other reviews that seem to make me think that if the car is good, it's really good, or it's really bad. The one I am looking at is a 2002 with 91,000 miles.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    An 02 is in the range for the potential head gasket problem, I don't think they redesigned the gasket until late 03 production motors. Most fails are of oil seeping out of the head and getting on ground, not oil getting into cooling system etc but still an expensive repair. The cars from this era were pretty bulletproof. Most systems were engineered with a design goal of lasting ten years or more. don't have any experience with the auto trans. If it's manual you want to feel for any 'thrumming' in the shifter with clutch engaged in neutral or any hint of a coarse or 'gravelly' noise to the transmission. Listen to it in neutral radio off air and fan off with drivers window down. The weak point in the tranny is a bearing on the output shaft to the center differential. If it is bad the engine and tranny have to comeout and be seperated to rebuild same including this bearing -$1200 and up depending on what else is worn. I have the small wagon (outback sport) also an 02 with 147000, original owner since Oct 01. Love the car. Gas mileage is lower than cars with comparable sized engines because you drive all 4 wheels all the time and have higher parasite losses. A previous owner who performed all the major checks (30k,60k,90k) preferably at a dealer would be a big plus in my book, as would be regular documented oil changes. As an item to beat the price down, look under the hood at the stub axles that drive the front wheels. In the middle of each you will see a rubber boot that covers a universal to keep dirt out and grease in. Make sure they are intact, rolling the car slightly to look at top and bottom. The boot is cheap but the labor is high to get to it. If one is compromised i'd try to knock em down $400, $800 for both. Hope this will help

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I bought a 2011 1 year ago with 42k miles. I've put 35k more on it and I haven't had to do anything other than very basic maintenance. I'm getting ready to put some Nokian tires on it before heading into winter.

What I like:
    - Good mileage. I hover around 30mpg with my highway driving. City gets about 27.
    - Plenty of space. I've moved furniture, building materials, kid stuff and pets, even an 8' ladder! and never felt like I needed to have something bigger.
    - Comfort. For 35K miles in a year I have to say that I feel comfortable in it all the time.
    - AWD. The system works well, but I need to get some good winter tires on it to really test it in snow. It does handle water nicely.
    - Safety. Subarus take punches like a champ without beating up passengers.

What I don't like:
    - Cheap interior. The interior isn't all that nice, but at the end of the day I don't really care. I bought it for the AWD and safety aspects.
    - Head rests. They point too far forward which makes me lean my head forward, I need to swap them out for something more straight up and down.
    - Certain maintenance. Changing the headlights require jacking up the car, removing the wheels and fender liners. Really? I'm not looking forward to changing the spark plugs.

All in all, I am very pleased with my scooby. It's capable for Indiana weather, with appropriate tires. 30mpg is acceptable for my commute and I love the space it has. I look forward to winter now!

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Thanks for the info. It is an automatic. They are asking $7000 which I don't think is bad, but more than I am willing to pay for it. I think we might be able to work something out if the car passes my inspection. Swope is a pretty honest dealership from everyone I know that has dealt with them, and I had a good experience there a few years ago buying the wife's car. I meant to post a link to the car so here it is:

Cars for Sale: 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon in Louisville, KY 40299: Wagon Details - 407051140 - Autotrader

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    From what I can see on the link it looks like it was well taken care of. I like the fact it was one owner for all its life and was gently used, averaging about 6500 miles per year. I assume you looked at the kbb link showing $5600 for good condition or better and car fax says worth 900 over book so they are in the ballpark on price. It is kind of a sellers market on these cars. If you were specifically seeking a subaru you probably noticed not that many for sale except the hotrod wrx's. like I said check the front axle universal boots and pay attention to the exhaust, too. you want it to be mostly or all factory with original cat and muffler. There is a downstream heated O2 sensor that mounts in the exhaust near the cat and a compromised exhaust system can give you trouble with that - the car needs it working to go into a fuel injector condition called closed loop while freeway cruising. If its not working right will cost you 5 to 10% in highway mileage. Any concerns there you can find and point out might help you beat them up a little on price. Check tires, too. You want them all worn about evenly. Tires on one end too worn will give the awd fits. its very sensitive to outside diameter variation. If one pair was worn you really would need to by four because replacing two worn with new would just give you another variation of the same problem. Mentioning this to help you maybe apply leverage. Good luck!

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    2003 legacy wagon owner, 145.000 miles
    Yes. I had to change both the headgaskets, and timing chain at 100,000 mi.
    External coolant leak
    Also axle boots and wheel bearings.
    2.4L engine, 24MPG average, great in the snow.
    Remember, if you have tire issues you have to change all four.
    I use my wagon as a truck!

I would give $5500-$6000 for the one in your link

Top Bottom