Subcompact 1911s Just don't work well....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    This is a joke, right?:n00b::dunno:
    :rolleyes: Also, my first smilies.

Yep, it was a joke, since he was joking about having so many mags filled with rounds. That would have been quite an investment. Although like any good Soldier, couple days after pay day, im about broke again, haha

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    I can't find the website now. M&P pistols, daniel defense rifles and laserlyte were all sponsors of his classes. Makes me a little jealous actually.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Having read all of the foregoing with interest and a great deal of hilarity, I think I have the gist of the argument. However, being a true dinosaur (my son is a retiree and I enjoy my great grandchildren), I have no idea what OC,CC,RO,SD, and OP mean. Never the less, I will tell you that I own a Wilson, enjoy it, but if I "limp Wrist" it, it will jam. I am blessed enough in my old age to carry anything my heart desires. I carry a S&W 640 in .357, to buy me time to get to the .44 in the console. I have even had a revolver jam when covered in blood and some tissue, but for all intents and purposes they're foolproof. Nothing made by the hand of man is perfect, but betting on the second round of any semiauto... You get my drift. F

one-does-not-simply-refer-to-jmb-as-a-man.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Let me cut and paste what I said in the other thread ...
    FORGET ROUND COUNT! He's talking about the platform and the demands made in a defensive scenario. The timing for the sub compacts as well as the form and technique of the shooter have to be flawless. I would be interested in seeing a full size 1911 take on the challenge, though.

If the shooter has the "magic talisman" of 1911's that never fail, why should it matter? He can rig it anyway he wants since a large number of detractors claim to have fired thousands of rounds in their sub-compact 1911's without a single issue ... ever. An underlying consideration in your comment is the fact that any defensive encounter is likely to be "rigged" in the assailant's favor at the onset. The question we should ask is, "Is my gun up to the task in an unfair fight?"

I can't speak for him but I would almost bet that he would agree to let you clean and lube your gun between magazines since his point is about the platform itself ... not the round count!

So... your a fan of subcompact 1911s? Yours has thousands of rnds through it with no failures?

Im failing to see your point.

The point most of us are making is that gun fights in real life are not knock down, drag out brawls like in the movies. They happen fast and with very few rnds acually being fired, from very close range.

So if I go to the range and fire 3 mags as fast as I possibly can with no malfunctions (and Ive done this more than once) then it should be reliable enough for any real world "gun fight".

I just dont understand why some people just cant accept that some of us just like 1911s and belive ours to be reliable enough and choose to carry them for that reason.

If I didnt think my gun would work when I needed it then I wouldnt carry it.

I own a Glock and carry it from time to time too. Im sure noone will argue Glocks reliability right?:rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I had 3 of my 1911's out at the range one day. A man approached me and stated he hated the 1911 platform. Now while i respect his opinion i didn't agree with him. Nor did I respect his tact to make an as* of himself in doing so. Truth is i just kind of nodded in acknowledgement and went on shooting.

Point is, i don't let other sway me in what I feel is right for myself nor would I press upon my opinion of another mans gun that he most likely is either proud of or feels it's "his" perfect fit.

Truth is, I like most all guns and sure there's some I don't but far be it from me to hold myself above anyone else for their choices. I just wish others would see it the same.

1911's rock! ;)

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    The guy who can burn thru 3 mags as fast as he can pull the trigger may not be successful in a gunfight. Aimed fire is more apt to kill you. Remember the mantra "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".... watch your front sight, and squeeze. and again.....

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I see your...

And raise you...

:cowbell::cowbell::cowbell::cowbell::cowbell:

:facepalm: ... We really do have a failure to communicate, don't we?

I recognize your "more cowbell" image (don't know how it relates but I get it) ... did you get mine? (I hope you didn't think I was suggesting you needed a beating)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    :facepalm: ... We really do have a failure to communicate, don't we?

I recognize your "more cowbell" image (don't know how it relates but I get it) ... did you get mine? (I hope you didn't think I was suggesting you needed a beating)

No honestly I must say I dont recognize your reference. I didnt take like you wanted to give me a beating, I just figured you ment it was time to pound your point home. I was just being a smartass. :D

Yes I do understand the point of the topic at hand though. All platforms have thier strengths and weaknesses. If you push any firearm hard enough eventually it will fail.

It is important that we as gun owners train with the equipment we carry so that we know its limitations.

I belive with proper maintenance and training we can minimize those weaknesses.

A subcompact 1911 is not a high volume combat pistol. Its a last ditch tool for self defence and the scenarios it may be used in are not the same as what a combat pistol will see. There is a reason our troops are not issued subcompact 1911s. Some special teams however do use full sized 1911s with great results.

Yes the sub 3" guns somtimes have issues with the timing and they are considered to be the "less" reliable 1911 category. I dont belive the 1911 as a platform to be unreliable though, and there are many who agree with me and 101 years of experiance to back it up.

To each his own though. All on :ingo: and all supporters of the 2A are brothers & sisters and we should remain united as such.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    After seeing a little of his latest video, I know I will never go to class with him as an instructor. He is so closed minded that I will learn more about shooting from a tree then him. I cannot believe as an instructor that he is that in love with himself. I watched about a minute of the new one and gave up. If he ever comes up on the same side of an issue as I do, I will have to rethink my position.

Top Bottom