• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edarotag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    I'm new to the hobby/Carry lifestyle. I've fired shotguns and rifles since I was old enough to handle them, but I'm new to pistols. I've shot some with friends and I have spent a few months educating myself, but I think it's time for the next step.
    I've submitted my application for my License to Carry, and it's coming up on (actually a week or two past...) the time that "they" said I should expect it to arrive. I'm not concerned on if it will arrive, I am not a criminal... I know it will come, I'm just hoping it'll be soon.

Whatever I buy first, I plan on shooting as often as possible, ammo availibility provided. I really want two styles of handgun, a subcompact 9mm and a .22 target pistol. I'm thinking that if I had both, I would shoot the .22 more often because of the obvious cost of ammo.

Which pistol should I purchase first?
    My gut answer is a subcompact 9mm.. I'll shoot it as often as possible, plus once i receive my license, I can carry it. I think of a .22 as more of a recreational or training pistol, and most of the target .22s are too big to conceal.

Based on my research, taking reliability and price into consideration, my frontrunners for the 9mm are the Kel Tec pf9 and the Ruger LC9. I like the fact that the pf9 has a small rail that Icould pop a light on at night and place in my nightstand.
    As far as .22s, I've come [-this-] close to purchasing a MkIII 22/45. Aside from that I'd consider a Buckmark... And people have told me to stay away from the new Neos.

Opinions?

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Buy the 9mm first. You can CC it and shoot at the range as well. Get the .22 target pistol second because it is more specialized. My opinion.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Subcompact 9mm. You can have it for multiple purposes rather than plinking/target shooting and it is still fairly inexpensive to shoot (especially with the price/availibility or .22 ammo right now). Also, Welcome to INGO!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd buy the 9mm first since you can carry it daily, and get immediate benefit out of it with respect to protecting your life.

Between the Ruger and the Kel-Tec - Ruger all the way.

But frankly, I'd go with a Glock (19) or M&P over either the Ruger or Kel-Tec.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I will take the get the 22 first route. Like always I am against the flow it seems. I do follow the pistol is to get you to your main firearm camp.

A 22 can be a self defense pistol or nightstand gun. (Not the best but can get it done) You will shoot it more often and it is more accurate showing you improvement in using it quicker. It is a better option for SHTF in a backpack or on the hip. You can small game hunt with it, and all those soup cans do not stand a chance against it. You seldom see many target 22 pistols for sale used as most people just keep them.

99.9% of the time you will not need the self defense the 9 will offfer over the 22. 100% if you are lucky and good with situational awareness.

I would go the buckmark (Best one you can get your hands on or order) (The buckmark target 5.5 is a good one.) route and do a hingis spring flip. That should get you to around a 3 pound trigger pull or less. Get 4 mags total as they can be a pain to load in a hurry. Browning mags are a bit expensive. Then go shoot it alot and try your hand at a steel shoot in the rimfire class.

Cost: About 475 out of pocket to 550 depending if you can find one. I have a Ruger Mark II and a browning "SillyWet" and I thought the mark II was the best thing I ever shot until I picked up the "SillyWet" in a trade.

Then i would look in the used market for a 9mm compact or small Self defense revolver. My ECD was bought almost new from a constant upgrader/trader. I bought 2 slightly different ones and 10 years later sold one off and have 50 dollars in the other now. If it gets stolen out of my locked glove box in my locked truck the NRA insurance will replace it. It is stainless for rust resistance, and in 357 it has stopping power.

You can get the pocket nine if you want new but they are not that great to shoot unless they fit you perfect. They do carry nice. Same for the small revolver it needs to fit you well to shoot it well. I guess i just have not found the one that fits me yet.

I like a fuller size 9mm or a compact 357 or 38 to carry. Browning high power (Shameless browning plug inserted again.) is thin enough to carry with 13 rounds, You will know you are carring with the high power. I also shoot the Sigs well and the Kimber 9mm. I do not shoot the 92 family or the glocks well for some reason and all the pocket pistols I have shot don't have the accuracy I want when I shoot them . I do know the pocket pistols shot well for others just not me yet.

A second idea with summer on the way would be a true pocket pistol in 380 or 9mm short. Cargo pants carry, Back pocket, IWB or vest pocket. Summer gun.

1 :order / find target 22. IF you live in the USA you should have a 22 target pistol)

2: pick up used SD handgun (lots more of these on the shelves than a true 22 target)

3: Look for something that truely fits your style of carry, the way you shoot or you start to drool over as soon as you hold it.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I am normally of the mindset for .22 first but the current ammo situation may dictate the purchase for you. If you have plenty of .22 ammo then i would go that route. The buckmark is a great .22 and has treated me well.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Of the two, I strongly suggest a subcompact 9mm first. You need a gun you will carry. I love my .22's, but I do not have any intention of going without a carry pistol.

Your first thought was the 9mm. Your first thought is usually right.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I like both the Buckmark and PF9. I think I would go with the 9mm first given a choice. 9mm ammo might be a little easier to come by right now also.

dscf0345ak.jpg

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I went 9mm first and .22 second. I would do the same again.

When I got my first gun I shot A LOT, so it just made sense to get a .22. Add a new gun to the collection, and it quickly paid for itself.

I have a 22/45 and absolutely love it!

Have you thought about a double stack 9mm for CC? Like Ruger SR9c, Glock 26, or M&P 9c? Small enough to conceal, but comfortable at the range. They all accept their bigger counterparts magazines, so you can carry a 10 or 12 round magazine, but go to the range with a 16+ mag. My brother carries the SR9c, we both love it. I've carried the MP9c, really really liked it, and I now carry a Glock 19. I want to get a 26 to go along with it, but have a few other guns on my list before I get to it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I think everyone has good ideas. There are a few things to consider that have not been brought up...One, how long will it be until you can buy your second choice? The reason I'm asking is, if you look at the threads about how long it is taking to get your LTCH...they are waiting 6 months. So if you get the .22 now, you might be able to buy the 9mm in 6 months. As far as the target .22s I have a nearly 60 year old High Standard that is awesome, a Mark II that is great and recently purchased a Mark III 22/45 that I thought the grip was just stupidly too thin. I'm having a grip mod done and excited to get it back. But shortly after I bought it, I held a Buckmark Camper model in my hand that I could have bought for $300. I about cried, it felt so good in my hand. Read a lot of good stuff about them. As far as the 9mm. Check out all the threads in the last 3 months. I went back and forth. There are so many choices. As soon as I can get a hold of my FFL, I'm going to have him order me a CM9. One last thing. Target .22s are SA. Most of the pocket 9mms are DA. Do you want to go back and forth between SA and DA. Just something to think about.

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    Glock 19 (9mm) first. then get a Ruger .22, I have never owned, but have shot one and the reviews and customer service for them is spectacular

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I will take the get the 22 first route. Like always I am against the flow it seems. I do follow the pistol is to get you to your main firearm camp.

A 22 can be a self defense pistol or nightstand gun. (Not the best but can get it done) You will shoot it more often and it is more accurate showing you improvement in using it quicker. It is a better option for SHTF in a backpack or on the hip. You can small game hunt with it, and all those soup cans do not stand a chance against it. You seldom see many target 22 pistols for sale used as most people just keep them.

99.9% of the time you will not need the self defense the 9 will offfer over the 22. 100% if you are lucky and good with situational awareness.

I would go the buckmark (Best one you can get your hands on or order) (The buckmark target 5.5 is a good one.) route and do a hingis spring flip. That should get you to around a 3 pound trigger pull or less. Get 4 mags total as they can be a pain to load in a hurry. Browning mags are a bit expensive. Then go shoot it alot and try your hand at a steel shoot in the rimfire class.

Cost: About 475 out of pocket to 550 depending if you can find one. I have a Ruger Mark II and a browning "SillyWet" and I thought the mark II was the best thing I ever shot until I picked up the "SillyWet" in a trade.

Then i would look in the used market for a 9mm compact or small Self defense revolver. My ECD was bought almost new from a constant upgrader/trader. I bought 2 slightly different ones and 10 years later sold one off and have 50 dollars in the other now. If it gets stolen out of my locked glove box in my locked truck the NRA insurance will replace it. It is stainless for rust resistance, and in 357 it has stopping power.

You can get the pocket nine if you want new but they are not that great to shoot unless they fit you perfect. They do carry nice. Same for the small revolver it needs to fit you well to shoot it well. I guess i just have not found the one that fits me yet.

I like a fuller size 9mm or a compact 357 or 38 to carry. Browning high power (Shameless browning plug inserted again.) is thin enough to carry with 13 rounds, You will know you are carring with the high power. I also shoot the Sigs well and the Kimber 9mm. I do not shoot the 92 family or the glocks well for some reason and all the pocket pistols I have shot don't have the accuracy I want when I shoot them . I do know the pocket pistols shot well for others just not me yet.

A second idea with summer on the way would be a true pocket pistol in 380 or 9mm short. Cargo pants carry, Back pocket, IWB or vest pocket. Summer gun.

1 :order / find target 22. IF you live in the USA you should have a 22 target pistol)

2: pick up used SD handgun (lots more of these on the shelves than a true 22 target)

3: Look for something that truely fits your style of carry, the way you shoot or you start to drool over as soon as you hold it.
    I would love to be able to CC one of my Hi-Powers. They are thin enough and 13+1 would really be nice, I just find the barrel to be a little long.

Edarotag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Very good advice. Thank you for welcoming me to the board, I hope sooner or later I'll be able to advise people based on my own experiences.

I'm in week #7 of my wait for LTCH. I check my mailbox every day, hoping to find it lying there waiting for me. Instead, I find bills and junk-mail. It'll come, I'm sure.

Initially, I wanted to go with the Glock family. I could see myself using a G19 for all of the above uses, nightstand, ccw and recreation. Someone told me that glocks are great guns, but it'd be best to explore all of the options because there are many guns out there that are more suited towards different "missions".

I was looking at single-stack subcompact 9mm because it seems that NO MATTER what you're wearing, they'll conceal without a print. It's not like I wear spandex, but summer-time is coming and I might test out the strength of my speed-o's.... Anyway, that's one reason I was steering away from the Glocks and other double stacked options.

I held a Diamondback DB9 the other day, felt AWESOME in my hand... but the reviews I've seen don't speak highly of it... I've seen very few negative reviews for the PF9 and the LC9, which is why I singled out those options.

I WILL own a Target .22... Have yet to shoot one, and I've only held a couple... So far, with my small hands, the 22/45 seems the best, but I haven't gotten my hands on a buckmark yet... I'll tool around this weekend and see what the local shops have.

I'm not hurting for money or anything, but it seems in recent months, my funds were required elsewhere, and now that that is over, I find myself with some excess money. If all goes well, and no unforeseen events occur in the next few weeks, I'll have the money that I need to purchase a G19.

Ultimately, I want a defense pistol. Home defense > Carry > Recreation.. Currently, my BB Pistol and the Glenfield Model 25 are not very good options for home defense.. I had considered a .22 for both recreation and home defense, especially while I wait for my LTCH. I tried using the theory: "I'd rather be missed by a .45 than hit by a .22".. but no matter how much I try to convince myself that a .22 would be sufficient, I hear the voices of many knowledgeable friends saying that I shouldn't consider anything smaller than a 9mm.

I'll let ya'll know what I decide, but as of right now I'm thinking I'll go with the 9mm first. Still undecided as to which one, but honestly I don't think a G19 will be tough to conceal, and it'll hold a light, so that's what I'm leaning towards. Later on I can get more specialized pieces.

Side story...
    About a month or two back, I was sitting in front of my computer late at night... I'm in an apartment on the 2nd level... I heard a balcony door being opened... sounded a lot like the door upstairs so i thought nothing of it, then between the blinds I saw something move on MY balcony... I got to the door-wall in time to see something vanish beyond my balcony... my screen door was half opened... I wasn't under the influence of anything, I wasn't exhausted and my balcony isn't really THAT far off of the ground, so I have to assume that somebody climbed onto my balcony, began to open my screen door, then through the blinds, saw the light from my monitor (and possibly me, looking towards the noise), and bolted as fast as they could... since then I have been on-edge. I ask myself, what if I were in bed at the time, or in the crapper? I wouldn't have heard... The screen door was unlocked, but the door was locked... How far would this person have gone to get into my apartment? At that time all I had was a BB pistol... that may be enough to scare somebody off, but I'm a damn good poker player... I know a bluff when I see one and I know when you need to stand behind your hand. If my life is in the pot, I refuse to bet on a BB pistol.. I'm not paranoid, I'm just being realistic.

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    First of all, I think you'll have to wait a little longer for your LTCH. Here's a link to the ISP web site.

ISP: Contact Us

As to your choice of handguns, here's what I did:

Within a month bought a Taurus 992 .22LR/.22WMR (two cylinders) for target and possible varmint shooting ( yes, a revolver, 9 shot cyls.), and then a Taurus 709 SLIM pistol 7+1 9MM. The revolver is versatile and the pistol is adequate for CC and/or home defense. The .22WMR can also be used for defense.

Probable problems? Finding the handgun(s) of your choice, then finding the ammunition for them.

Good luck and welcome to INGO.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Neither

Where I live, 22lr and 9mm ammo are non existant, at any price.
    I have only seen 380, 40 and 38 special. That would greatly influence my
    buying decision.

Top Bottom