• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Everyone I know that has a Subaru pretty much loves it. Resale value is really good on them.....which is bad for me, because I only buy old used cars, and they're too dang expensive.

We drive and love Subaru's. Just bought a nice 2014 Crosstrek for my wife.
    I drive a Forester, they are great vehicles with few repairs needed to keep them on the road for a long time.
    As an example, my wife is just now giving up her 1997 Legacy Outback Wagon, we raised our 3 kids in that car.
    It still runs and drives, has some minor issues, I have it tentatively sold to a co-worker. If that falls through it will be listed here in the classifieds.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Everyone I know that has a Subaru pretty much loves it. Resale value is really good on them.....which is bad for me, because I only buy old used cars, and they're too dang expensive.

My wife and I are really high on a Subaru being the replacement for the Altima when it finally goes T/U. I like the Forester, she likes the Outback. We're eligible for the family and friends discount due to me having 2 uncles that work for SIA. But I'm not A) convinced that I want a Subaru, or B) that the F&F discount is worth it (as in - I may be able to negotiate a lower deal without it), or C) go with a CR-V.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three.

But I do think you get to keep more man points driving a Subaru over a CRV.

My wife and I are really high on a Subaru being the replacement for the Altima when it finally goes T/U. I like the Forester, she likes the Outback. We're eligible for the family and friends discount due to me having 2 uncles that work for SIA. But I'm not A) convinced that I want a Subaru, or B) that the F&F discount is worth it (as in - I may be able to negotiate a lower deal without it), or C) go with a CR-V.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    We have a 2015 Trax, and haven’t had any issues. It my wife’s car, so not a lot of miles on it. I forget the first trim level that has AWD, but I remember that not all are. I’ve been driving a Subaru and love it. Again, no issues.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That sucks. I haven’t touched one of their cvt equipped vehicles. Nissans were excellent. I’ll have to read some more into the recent ones.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three.

But I do think you get to keep more man points driving a Subaru over a CRV.

My other car is a minivan. I don't really care about man points. :)

But I'm not sure how a car company that specifically aimed a commercial at lesbians counts as having more man points anyhow.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    My other car is a minivan. I don't really care about man points. :)

But I'm not sure how a car company that specifically aimed a commercial at lesbians counts as having more man points anyhow.

I totally feel like a lesbian when I drive mine........... I agree, not many Man points to be had driving a Subaru. So now that I feel like a lesbian, I expect all to accept me, and not judge me based on my sexuality.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    And the verdict is in. She went with the Honda HR-V in this color.

monthly-offers_side_view.png

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just to add another data point, I recently helped a neighbor go through the same decision making process. She ended up in a Volkswagen Tiguan. She loves it, and I do too. It has great build quality (it was assembled in Germany), a strong turbo engine, and a terrific interior. Fantastic vehicle. She got it one year old for a great price. It was a lease vehicle.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just to add another data point, I recently helped a neighbor go through the same decision making process. She ended up in a Volkswagen Tiguan. She loves it, and I do too. It has great build quality (it was assembled in Germany), a strong turbo engine, and a terrific interior. Fantastic vehicle. She got it one year old for a great price. It was a lease vehicle.

VWs are great as long as you get rid of them before the warranty runs out!

After that... $$$$$$$$

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I have the opposite experience. As do 3 of my buddies that own VW's......Note this is only for the naturally aspirated and TDI versions. I have heard horror stories about the gasoline turbo versions. And all of our VW's were produced 2008 or earlier.....no idea how quality is after all of the VW issues of recent with their emissions disabling devices and lawsuits.

Some stupid things with them.....like timing belts, water pumps, etc... needing to be changed every 70k miles. But if maintenance is kept up, mine and my friends have been great cars.

Not saying that's a good statistical sample, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the right VW again. It also helps that there's a few excellent normal good ol' boy mechanics around here that are excellent with VW's so I don't have to go to a "euro" shop. If I had to take them to a euro shop every time I turned around, I'd completely agree with you.....Big $$$$$$$$$$ to go to one of those places.

VWs are great as long as you get rid of them before the warranty runs out!

After that... $$$$$$$$

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My 84-year-old mother is in the market for a new vehicle. After this last round of snow, we need something with AWD that sits up higher than a car. Smaller and easier to maneuver would be better.

Leaning toward Honda HR-V or Mazda CX-3, but open to pros/cons on any make.

Honda has better resale value but both are good. A friend went to try a Mazda CX-3 and found it too small so bought a CX-5 which I think would be too big for your mother. I bought a Mazda 3 and it would be hard for an older woman to get into depending on her ability but I like the 40mpg on the highway.

Time to take her out for test (getting in and out) drives.

OOPS, missed the last posts.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Porsche Macan Turbo! It will blow the doors of virtually every SUV out there and she will be the absolute coolest 84 year old Mom out there. No soccer mom could possibly compete for the coolest Mom. Peace.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have the opposite experience. As do 3 of my buddies that own VW's......Note this is only for the naturally aspirated and TDI versions. I have heard horror stories about the gasoline turbo versions. And all of our VW's were produced 2008 or earlier.....no idea how quality is after all of the VW issues of recent with their emissions disabling devices and lawsuits.

Some stupid things with them.....like timing belts, water pumps, etc... needing to be changed every 70k miles. But if maintenance is kept up, mine and my friends have been great cars.

Not saying that's a good statistical sample, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the right VW again. It also helps that there's a few excellent normal good ol' boy mechanics around here that are excellent with VW's so I don't have to go to a "euro" shop. If I had to take them to a euro shop every time I turned around, I'd completely agree with you.....Big $$$$$$$$$$ to go to one of those places.

I guess this is why anecdotes don't count as data, eh? My friend was hosed over by THREE VW vehicles he bought. *however, he bought them all used* Dude just didn't ever learn.

If you're in the Indy area, there's a pretty good euro fixit shop south of Greenwood on SR 37. Foreign Import European Auto Repair Services Greenwood Indiana

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Oof, yeah, after 3 bad VW's, I'd have a bad taste in my mouth as well. Out of curiosity, were his the turbo versions?

Had this type of thing happen with my co-worker as well. I have had EXCELLENT luck with my dodge dakota. 200k miles on it and just took it from IN to Florida last year. It's a great truck. He has the same damn truck, and his has been broken more than running.

With buying used cars, I almost think it matters more who you buy it from and how the car was maintained than it does what brand/model. I'm really picky when buying used, and it seems to help. This last time, it took me about 2 months to find the right vehicle. Multiple trips to Indy, Cinci, Ft. Wayne, Louisville, etc... to look at cars that I didn't end up buying.

I guess this is why anecdotes don't count as data, eh? My friend was hosed over by THREE VW vehicles he bought. *however, he bought them all used* Dude just didn't ever learn.

If you're in the Indy area, there's a pretty good euro fixit shop south of Greenwood on SR 37. Foreign Import European Auto Repair Services Greenwood Indiana

Top Bottom