• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That would be a horrific way to go. Of all the ways I wouldn't want to die, drowning (or being crushed by the water pressure) and burning are at the top of my list.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’m just trying to imagine being a billionaire, like the British guy that’s on there, and thinking “damn, I’m not buying my way out of this”. And I don’t mean that to sound snarky.

That would be terrible. I’m hoping by some miracle they make it out.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm a huge Titanic nerd. Been following this story all day.

They seem to have abruptly lost contact about an hour and 45 minutes into the dive, or around 15 minutes from the bottom. The submersible has multiple options for dumping ballast, including one that decays in seawater and automatically releases at around 16 hours. It has 96 hours of life support for 5 people, nominally. I am hopeful it will turn up on the surface somewhere, but the crew is bolted inside and cannot exit without topside support.

The submersible is a carbon fiber reinforced cylinder with titanium domes at either end. All previous deep submersibles have been simple spheres. It has successfully completed dives to Titanic before, but is overall a very new system.

Prayers they'll still turn up, but over 24 hours without contact is a dire situation. It's worth noting that in many hundreds of dives on Titanic, no vehicles or lives have ever been lost.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I read several articles on this. It takes about two hours to get down to the wreck, and they lost comms an hour and 45 minutes into the voyage. Whatever happened, happened in deep water. Not looking good for them.

Edit: Ark and I posted at the same time… it is looking to me like RMS Titanic is still claiming victims over 100 years later.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Jesse Waters just interviewed another sub captain who has been to the Titanic. He was graceful, but not at all positive on the outcome of this

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I read several articles on this. It takes about two hours to get down to the wreck, and they lost comms an hour and 45 minutes into the voyage. Whatever happened, happened in deep water. Not looking good for them.

Edit: Ark and I posted at the same time… it is looking to me like RMS Titanic is still claiming victims over 100 years later.
    That time of loss and what sounds like TOTAL loss of all contact of any kind including possible emergency beacons is...bad. Real bad. A hull failure would have gone off like a bomb. The tender ship likely didn't have hydrophones recording that would have conclusively picked it up, just sonar and the gertrude.

I saw a video tour of that sub. It's kinda janky. Maybe an electrical failure could have killed everything. But if they're bobbing on the surface with no power they're freezing and sick and scared right now. Hopes...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If there was a failure of the pressure boundary, at that depth death would be instantaneous.

If the pressure boundary didn't fail, and they're at the bottom, the auto surface system MIGHT bring them back.
    If it doesn't then it's freezing cold, until the O2 or the CO2 gets to you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Oxygen use is not going to be an exact estimate, different people use different amounts.
    And different actions, and stress, use different amounts.
    Their estimate is, a generic healthy adult of average size, probably in their 20s or 30s, will use X amount of air.

And let's not forget about CO2.
    They probably don't have a scrubber/burner unit.
    So they spread an absorbent.
    Assuming the absorbent is all good, how much did they bring?

Top Bottom