• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    In the ever frustrating hunt for .22LR ammo, I happened on some subsonic 20gr 22LR. It said for bolt action only, which makes sense since half the powder means it won't cycle the bolt in a semi auto. I was curious if anyone here uses that for anything. How loud is it, is it accurate, anything else that would make it worth buying. Its gotta be better than nothing right? :dunno:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    20gr? Aguila Colibris? There's no powder in them if that's what you found, the bullet is just propelled by the primer. Was designed for revolvers and shorter bolt actions (20" and under), shooting indoors or for pests at point blank range.

If regular subsonics or standard velocity, I have pretty good luck with it cycling my semi autos (besides CCI Quiet at 710fps), fun to run through a suppressor

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The manufacturer will not guarantee that it will cycle in a semi-auto, and that would be true for the majority of them. But that's not to say that it won't cycle in YOUR semi-auto. A buddy wants to run them through his mini 1911 (the make escapes me at the moment) for small varmits around his yard and has experimented with a couple different brands. What he has found is that the 1000 fps variety will cycle but they are still too loud for stealthy plinking. He wants to try a box of CCI Quiet-22, which are rated at 710 fps. I have my doubts that they'll cycle but in a week or so we will see.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    20gr bullet gives me the idea you may be referring to 22CB longs. If you would share more info on the brand, box markings etc maybe someone could give you some ideas. Typically a subsonic round will not cycle an automatic reliably but will often times will make the gun cycle where a CB will not do it ever. There are some extremely low velocity CBs that are for handguns only and can lodge in a long rifle barrel.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    They make a little more noise from a rifle than a high power pellet gun. An automatic will fire them if you want to work the action manually. Of course single shots, lever, bolt, pump, revolvers etc are all good. Great rounds for short range plinking and small rodents. They are not a good idea to shoot in a pole barn.... Don't ask how I know.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    20gr? Aguila Colibris? There's no powder in them if that's what you found, the bullet is just propelled by the primer. Was designed for revolvers and shorter bolt actions (20" and under), shooting indoors or for pests at point blank range.

I've used these in a 10/22. They definitely don't cycle which I figured would be the case. With the 10 round stock mag, they cycle manually nicely. They didn't feed very well with the Ruger BX-25 mags very well.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I use them (Winchester 22 subsonic - around 900 fps) in my suppressed Walther P22 and they cycle just fine (sounds like a cap gun- no need for hearing protection) Same ammo won't cycle my 10/22 however...not enough back pressure.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    They are not a good idea to shoot in a pole barn.... Don't ask how I know.

my grandfather taught me that same lesson in what's behind your target when I was shooting at age 8...Let's just say there's more natural light coming in the barn than he originally had planned. :whistle:

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Standard subsonic is typically around 1,050 fps and often will function in semi-autos, just have to try it. Some newer loads such as CCI's Quiet (@ 710 fps) run slower and will not function a semi-auto. The Colibri and Super Colibri stuff is fun but watch what you shoot it out of. The standard Colibri is not meant for rifles and may not clear the barrel..

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    A few years ago I ran a mag of the Aguila Super Colibri through my Bersa Thunder 22.
    The bullets were being deflected back off of the paper targets...
    every round was a FTE, and it was less noise and "recoil" than an air soft pistol...

Top Bottom