• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johncandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Anyone ever attempt to load up some subsonic 223s? I am seriously looking into a suppressor for my AR, and the thought of some subsonic 223 rounds sounds very interesting.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    You can load subs all day long, heavier bullets can be found in the 77-100gr range with ease, and you will need a rifling profile that can stabilize them like 1/7 twist. However, the issue that you will find is that subsonic rounds in an AR platform (223/5.56) will not create enough back pressure to cycle the bolt for next round ready. This thereby, transforms your ar15 into a bolt action rifle where you must manually pull the charging handle back each time. If you are okay with doing that, then sit back and enjoy the pleasures of shooting subs in a suppressed platform :rockwoot:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I loaded some up for kicks and giggles a couple of months ago. Like stated, they won't cycle the action. They're fun and really quiet though. The gophers don't like them so much. :D

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    You can load subs all day long, heavier bullets can be found in the 77-100gr range with ease, and you will need a rifling profile that can stabilize them like 1/7 twist. However, the issue that you will find is that subsonic rounds in an AR platform (223/5.56) will not create enough back pressure to cycle the bolt for next round ready. This thereby, transforms your ar15 into a bolt action rifle where you must manually pull the charging handle back each time. If you are okay with doing that, then sit back and enjoy the pleasures of shooting subs in a suppressed platform :rockwoot:
    :+1:

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    does anybody publish a load or a recommended powder for such a thing, I could see some use,

Standard powders that you would typically use, albeit at a reduced charge, would suffice. Remember that the goal is to stay below the threshold of 1125 ft/s. So for instance, if the lowest charge data available for powder A is 20gr producing 1500 ft/s then you know that your desired charge for subsonic loads would be less than 20gr, etc. This is just hypothetical charge data and used as an example, not actual load data. I would also recommend a chronograph be present when you test the loads to verify the trajectories. Be safe, and have fun with it. Some people do not see the point of subsonic 223 loads, why not just use a 22lr can, etc, etc. Do what you want, cause you can, because why not, and for the hell of it.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I loaded up 4.0 grains of IMR trail boss behind 55gr hornady bullets. They are fun to shoot. But won't cycle. I don't have a suppressor though. I had picked up 5pounds of Trail Boss to play around with.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    does running 300 blackout subsonic cycle well?

Cycles like you are sliding down the stairs on a terrorist, while duel wielding AK47's yelling GET SOME. lmao.

To answer your question, yes. Cycles every time. You are shooting a 30cal bullet, they have no gas issues, and most suppressor manufactures will warranty their cans on barrels to 8" versus 10.5" for 223/5.56

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    My 8" Noveske barreled 300 Blackout will cycle subs with or without the suppressor on every time. It's a really fun little gun.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'm sure that an adjustable gas block would allow you to get reliable cycling with subsonic .223 loads. Might take a softer buffer spring as well depending on what you have in there now.

Top Bottom