• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    So, I own a Savage MKII bolt action rifle chambered in 22lr. It's not suppressed, and doesn't even have a threaded barrel, but due to the long barrel length and being a bolt action, it's a pretty quiet gun. The other day I shot some subsonic 22lr 60 grain Aguila ammo through it, and it was dummy quiet. I had no idea a firearm could propel a 60 grain bullet to just below the sound barrier, and be not much louder than a pellet gun (okay, maybe a bit of an exaggeration) all without even having so much as a flash can on it!

Anyways, I loved the idea of being able to hunt squirrels/rabbits with such a quiet round, but the problem was that the ammo wouldn't shoot worth a darn. I was shooting at a paper-size target with a 3-inch circle at 25 yards from a bench, and I was lucky to even hit the circle. I switched to shooting my regular 22 ammo just to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid, and I was easily able to keep my groups less than half an inch, like normal. It wasn't just a shift in impact, either, the ammo was hitting all different sides of the target.

Anyways, all this just got me to want to ask; does anyone have experience with any subsonic 22lr that will shoot with decent accuracy and be suitable for squirrel/rabbit hunting, that they can recommend? My instinct keeps telling me that I should look for something with a heavier bullet, so I don't sacrifice too much energy in shooting a slower round, but is that actually even a concern for small game? Or should I just shoot 22 shorts? Or is this even a worthwhile pursuit?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    CCI makes a variety of subsonic ammo designed for small game. I have found most to be reasonably accurate.

The Aguila SSS 60 gr ammo is cool but technically you need a faster twist barrel to stabilize the heavier rounds. Think AR: generally 1:9 or 1:12 barrels are more accurate with lighter 55 gr bullets. the faster 1:7 barrels like the 62-70 gr rounds. Most rimfire barrels are 1:16 twist.

Some companies like CMMG and Tacsol have made runs of faster twist barrels in the past. Ironically, I have a Henry AR-7 that groups great with the SSS ammo.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Snorko nailed it, though I've had good luck with the 60 gr ammo in my rifles. Surprised it was that bad.

CCI makes their "quiet" ammo that is a normal 40 gr bullet, but only 750 fps or so. Enough for squirrels and birds, but you'd better make a decent shot. Theyre suppressor quiet without a suppressor, and just plain silly with a can. It might be more accurate out of your Savage.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    CCI makes a variety of subsonic ammo designed for small game. I have found most to be reasonably accurate.

The Aguila SSS 60 gr ammo is cool but technically you need a faster twist barrel to stabilize the heavier rounds. Think AR: generally 1:9 or 1:12 barrels are more accurate with lighter 55 gr bullets. the faster 1:7 barrels like the 62-70 gr rounds. Most rimfire barrels are 1:16 twist.

Some companies like CMMG and Tacsol have made runs of faster twist barrels in the past. Ironically, I have a Henry AR-7 that groups great with the SSS ammo.
    Ah, of course, twist rate! I was wondering what on earth could have cause the level of inaccuracy I was seeing, and my silly brain forgot to even consider that as a factor. Yes, my rifle has a 1:16 twist barrel, so that's most likely my problem.

I guess I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some CCI subs with a lighter bullet.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    All standard velocity ammo is subsonic. Anything that clocks under around 1140 fps is subsonic, so you don't hear the crack. I like CCI Small Game Bullet for hunting. I use it in a bolt action. Not sure how well it would feed through a semi-auto.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    All standard velocity ammo is subsonic. Anything that clocks under around 1140 fps is subsonic, so you don't hear the crack. I like CCI Small Game Bullet for hunting. I use it in a bolt action. Not sure how well it would feed through a semi-auto.
    This actually relates to another question I had; a lot of 22LR ammo has a velocity printed on the box, but they never seem to tell you what barrel they used. My Savage rifle has a 21 inch barrel, which is much longer than most 22LR barrels, so I expect I'll typically get a higher velocity than the box says, but I never know by how much. I just know that I've always heard the supersonic crack with any ammo I've shot through it other than the 60 grain Aguila.

I guess this isn't so much a question as just a slight frustration of mine...

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    WNSUP22LR_2.jpg

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    In regard to your question of subsonic accuracy, most match grade .22 is subsonic. I've never had the accuracy out of supers that I do with subs. In terms of use for hunting, I prefer a wicked accurate round that has no problem finding a squirrel's head at a bit lower speed than a faster bullet that is less accurate.

And I think they typically use a 24" barrel in their velocity testing.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    In regard to your question of subsonic accuracy, most match grade .22 is subsonic. I've never had the accuracy out of supers that I do with subs. In terms of use for hunting, I prefer a wicked accurate round that has no problem finding a squirrel's head at a bit lower speed than a faster bullet that is less accurate.

And I think they typically use a 24" barrel in their velocity testing.
    A 24" barrel? That surprises me, but I guess in that case my search for subsonic ammo isn't as narrow as I thought it was.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    This actually relates to another question I had; a lot of 22LR ammo has a velocity printed on the box, but they never seem to tell you what barrel they used. My Savage rifle has a 21 inch barrel, which is much longer than most 22LR barrels, so I expect I'll typically get a higher velocity than the box says, but I never know by how much. I just know that I've always heard the supersonic crack with any ammo I've shot through it other than the 60 grain Aguila.

I guess this isn't so much a question as just a slight frustration of mine...
    I think standard .22LR velocity peaks around 14".

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I bought several boxes of Eley subsonic HP hunting ammo. I have noticed some body shots on squirrel, but it's very quiet.

I hunt with a gemtech gm22 can and a 10/22 tacsol threaded barrel.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I think standard .22LR velocity peaks around 14".
    This. Any .22 lr bbls over 16" are actually slowing velocity. 24" bbl gives you a great sight radius for peep sight bench rest but it's useless increasing velocity. I use CCI, SK, and Eley subsonic HP to hunt with. Movie quiet with a suppressor. CBs and the 60 grain Sniper Sub Sonics don't shoot well enough past about 15 yds out of my guns to keep me happy. I did own a Volquartsen 1 in 9 twist bbl for a 10/22 that shot the 60 gr a little better but still not to my liking.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I hope this isn't too much of a tangent from the subject but I have a Wrangler revolver and am looking for super quiet for dispatching caged raccoons. I have not looked in over a year but then nothing was in stock.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I shoot mostly CCI Standard Velocity in my DPMS .22 LR upper with a 16" bbl. With a can, the groups are better and I hear no supersonic crack.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I hope this isn't too much of a tangent from the subject but I have a Wrangler revolver and am looking for super quiet for dispatching caged raccoons. I have not looked in over a year but then nothing was in stock.
    That's basically impossible in that weapon, even if you managed to suppress it.

CCI CB Long is the best option.

Flytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    NWI
    If you are looking for quiet in 22LR, I have used the Aguila Colibri 20gr rounds... they are kind of more like a pellet round if you ask me, but its VERY quiet if you need to pop a varmint and dont want to make a scene :ar15:

Top Bottom