• Total voters

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Drill it! I us a really small bit and a pin vise to turn it. Go slow. when you hit the pocket, ahhh so much better. It will squirt blood pretty well.
    Then soak in warm water for a bit. If blood build up again just push on it with a little pressure. You might have to open the hole again. Warm water and repeat.

It's going to feel really good when you get the pressure off.

This. Being somewhat of a fabricator I have a set of pin drills and the driver. Easy peasy and painless.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have used a tiny drill bit. Works great. Cordless is easier.....immediate relief from throbbing.

I have used the hot needle method a few times..ok so I had to have dad do it while I looked away. But never used a tiny drill bit. Years ago, dad was working on a racecar that had been wrinkled up a bit and was drilling out a pop rivet. Had his hand behind the panel and as the bit poked through the rivet he ran it into the tip of his finger just under the nail. When he realized what happened, it hurt bad. But he didn't have a choice but to put the drill in reverse to get the bit out. Then he had this tiny meaty, bloody curly fry looking thing hanging from his finger. So what's a guy to do? Well he cut it off with wire cutters, washed it out and wrapped it with a gauze pad and duct tape. I would just deal with the pain, it will feel better in a few days. Until then follow Dr's orders and stick it in a hole.
    That made me too squeemish to use a drill bit on myself. Use a hot needle

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The first time a smashed my finger a good one the doc took a hot glass rod and pushed a hole right threw it. No numbing stuff. He said I would feel that more then the hot glass rod. He was right I felt a teeny bit or warmth, smelled bad. Then it went off like a volcano. OMG it felt so fn good!

I have since done the drill bit thing a few times. I pinch my finger about middle of the nail once. About a 1/8 of an inch for my end. That time I pushed a needle under the nail till I hit the pocket. It felt good to get the pressure out. The nail grew back better/faster on that one.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Drill it! I us a really small bit and a pin vise to turn it. Go slow. when you hit the pocket, ahhh so much better. It will squirt blood pretty well.
    Then soak in warm water for a bit. If blood build up again just push on it with a little pressure. You might have to open the hole again. Warm water and repeat.

It's going to feel really good when you get the pressure off.

This right here! You can also just twist the bit between 2 fingers, you'll have plenty of control of the bit so you don't have t worry about drilling into already damaged flesh increasing the pain.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Haven't had to stab myself in the fingernail but when I was little (10, 12?) I smashed a fingernail, turned black, throbbing pain, etc. week later mom took me to the doc and he had a battery powered hot pin tool to stab it. ohhhhhh so much better.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Took some Ibuprofen last night and went to bed. Woke up at 6am with intense pain and something had to be done. I couldn't find a decent small drill bit so I went to walmart and bought a 1/32 bit for a dremel. Drilled the hole and the pressure pain did get much better, it still hurts but I'm guessing that's from the trauma itself.

Bandaged it up and went to soccer games and then volunteered at the soccer fields. Probably over did it some as I started to bleed through the bandage. Got it all cleaned up again and now it's oozing clear fluid. The dark blood is gone but know the whole nail looks a little red and irritated. Told my wife I that she should've took my spot for volunteering..LOL

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Let it bleed! It will keep the pressure down. Keep it clean. Soak it in some really warm water a few times a day. It will be sore for a bit. The clear fluid is normal. your body trying to create a scab.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Let it bleed! It will keep the pressure down. Keep it clean. Soak it in some really warm water a few times a day. It will be sore for a bit. The clear fluid is normal. your body trying to create a scab.

And Rum! Drink plenty of Rum; it'll replace the fluids that subautonamous intelliquasitoma uses while the healing process is going on. I read it in a medical journal once!!:40oz:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    And Rum! Drink plenty of Rum; it'll replace the fluids that subautonamous intelliquasitoma uses while the healing process is going on. I read it in a medical journal once!!

Clearly you've forgotten what you read. It said SCOTCH. Not rum. Scotch, believe it or not, gets into your bloodstream (crazy! I know! Right!?!?) and helps heal the wound from the inside.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    If you're uncomfortable with a drill, heating up a razor blade or knife and just twisting it back and forth on the tip will do the same, much slower.

I've always used an 18ga needle. You can get them at farm supply stores. Just hold it on the area of the nail and twist it back and forth like a drill bit, they are super sharp and in no time will make it through the nail. The quicker after the injury you do this the better as more blood will escape and ease the pain.
    If that redness doesn't go away in a day or so, you might want to see a doctor, as redness is a sign of infection.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom