• ...and so much more!
  • zerocool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Indy Northside
    Hey Everyone,

I am looking on buying some hunting/recreational land in Indiana. I live just north of Indy and want something that I can drive within 1-2 hours. Any suggestions on where to go or where to look and locations? I have seen prices ranging from $1500-3000+ per acre. I am looking at something like 75-100 acres.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Zero

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There's folks out there that specialize in marketing acreages, farms, etc. There was a thread similar to this couple of months ago or so. You might search the archives...there were some links there.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The Wabash River valley is like a slice taken from another place and dropped into Indiana. Reminder of what most of Indiana use to look like. It runs through plenty of rural areas from Logansport to Illinois.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    1500 to 3000 per acre? 3,000 is the starting price around here in lawrence/orange county area.

I paid 2260 an acre in the same area last year

I think it depends on how tillable it is and maybe what the price of corn is doing. A few years ago, some land went up for sale just down past me (and not too far from your place, pathfinder) for something like $3400/acre. It's tillable but much of it is that mitchell area, red clay/rock mess--hardly what you'd desire in soil--I thought they were out of their minds. I was wrong... it all sold in no time. Of course, it was just about the time the corn gold rush was starting up. I wonder what it'd sell for now.

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    $1500-$3000 is close to what timber companies are paying just for the timber. I would suggest that you find a piece of property adjoining National Forest. It will make your piece of property seem larger because you can use the public land for hunting and trail riding. You may run into someone occasionally but no one will be moving on it.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    My experience looking for hunting property: I looked for 6 years, monitored numerous websites advertising land and went to numerous auctions for land.
    1. If you find land for $1500 per acre, buy it, nothing is going that cheap anymore. You might find timbered land that cheap but there will be nothing left as far as timber or even trees.
    2. If you go to an auction, don't bother bidding when the individual parcels are being sold, the serious bidding doesn't start until the bidding for combinations is opened up. I bid as high as $2000 per acre at some auctions and was never the highest. This is strictly for hunting property, decent tillable ground is going for $4000 per acre and higher, usually much higher. You must have financing in place also, once you are the successful bidder you are expected to pay, regardless.
    3. Buying land next to public property is a good way to expand the available land without additional expense. Do your due diligence though, many public lands do not allow ATV's or vehicles, foot traffic only.
    4. Patience and diligence will eventually lead you to your goal. You must always be researching and be ready to act. Reasonably priced land will not be on the market long, you have a lot of competition. Many times the land is only advertised in local newspapers.
    5. The closer to large metropolitan areas, the higher the land prices. You pay a price for convenience. You must set your limits and focus your search based on those parameters. It is easy to get carried away, especially at auctions.

Just some of my experiences, good luck.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I can tell you one of the most frusturating , annoying, mind worrying thing it to buy land and then have people tresspass on it , and steal your stuff. Talk to the local CO and Sherriff to get a feel for the area.

Mushroom hunters are the absoute wost when it comes to tresspassing IMO

Top Bottom