• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    2 Months ago I had a firearm stolen and thanks to my help it was recovered just 3 weeks later by IMPD.. It's still in the IMPD property room and I think I'm getting the run around by the detective as to when I'll get it back. Suggestions on a lawyer that can assist on getting my property back? Don't care anymore as to who took it. I get the impression they have better things to do than worry about me anyway. It was not used in any crime thank goodness.

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    if the case is still open (ie might still go to court) then it is still evidence. It can be held until the entire case is disposed of as it might go to trial and be needed for evidence. and the process takes a long time to get it back.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    if the case is still open (ie might still go to court) then it is still evidence. It can be held until the entire case is disposed of as it might go to trial and be needed for evidence. and the process takes a long time to get it back.

This /thread

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

This /thread

This is my understanding as well. What are you being told, 44MS?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

This /thread

Always seemed amazing to me that you could be deprived of your property once recovered to continue to hold it as evidence. I mean I get it if they were running tests on something, identifying if it matched a firearm used in a crime, etc, but to just hold it as the evidence that it was stolen seems interesting. There must be more to it than what I understand I assume.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    5 weeks later it's probably still waiting in the queue to make sure it hasn't been used in any crimes. Without a rush for trial or a major felony gun, no way it's made it through Crime Lab yet. While you may not care about who took it any longer, the detective has other priorities, and that includes worrying about who took it.

I'd be curious if there's more to this story. The thread title says "stolen gun" but the person "took" it, not stole it, when you talk about it. Combined with the vague reference to helping the police find it, I'd say there's a reasonable chance you know who "took" it, used the police as a repo service, and now don't want to follow up with any criminal charges. How else would you know it hasn't been used in any crimes?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You should not have went into details OP. When oh when will they ever learn?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    5 weeks later it's probably still waiting in the queue to make sure it hasn't been used in any crimes. Without a rush for trial or a major felony gun, no way it's made it through Crime Lab yet. While you may not care about who took it any longer, the detective has other priorities, and that includes worrying about who took it.

I'd be curious if there's more to this story. The thread title says "stolen gun" but the person "took" it, not stole it, when you talk about it. Combined with the vague reference to helping the police find it, I'd say there's a reasonable chance you know who "took" it, used the police as a repo service, and now don't want to follow up with any criminal charges. How else would you know it hasn't been used in any crimes?

Interesting assessment.

It almost sounds like you do this type of thing for a living.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Ingo's two favorite pieces of advice are 1) shut up and 2) get a lawyer. Nobody has recommended #2 yet......:dunno: This must mean something. :scratch:

I feel a potential epic thread developing. :ingo:

Now if we can just keep Denny out.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ingo's two favorite pieces of advice are 1) shut up and 2) get a lawyer. Nobody has recommended #2 yet......:dunno: This must mean something. :scratch:

I feel a potential epic thread developing. :ingo:

Now if we can just keep Denny out.

Ah, but the OP himself did, in the thread title.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I had some family go through a similar situation. They didn't know who stole it personally but once recovered he lawyered up and he has enough money he can get any lawyer he wants by no exaggeration. The rare detonics 1911 sat in evidence for over a year despite his money and efforts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had some family go through a similar situation. They didn't know who stole it personally but once recovered he lawyered up and he has enough money he can get any lawyer he wants by no exaggeration. The rare detonics 1911 sat in evidence for over a year despite his money and efforts.

It is their court, ball, referee's.
    If it is there and all the OP said is true it will come back to him.
    A Lawyer will cost more than the gun is actually worth most likely.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    This is what im thinking..I found it for sale online 3 weeks later and let the detective know about the ad..They inturn contacted the person selling it. The detective thinks it passed hands twice..Guess im hoping to be the lucky one to get it back quickly..thanks all for the advice.

Top Bottom