• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I do armed security and carry a G22 as my primary weapon. I'm looking to get a back up gun but I'm not sure what route to go, semi-auto or revolver. If I go the semi auto I would probably go with a G27. I'm really not familiar with revolvers at all so any advice would be appreciated.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I do armed security and carry a G22 as my primary weapon. I'm looking to get a back up gun but I'm not sure what route to go, semi-auto or revolver. If I go the semi auto I would probably go with a G27. I'm really not familiar with revolvers at all so any advice would be appreciated.

I am thinking your comment "I'm really not familiar with revolvers at all .." pretty well covers the reason to stay with a semi auto.

Any type of back up or fairly deeply concealed carry gun is first and for most determined by where and how you are carrying said gun, then once you know the largest that works in that location, you have narrowed the search a lot, possible to the one largest that works fine.

Myself find that for a pocket carry in dress slacks, the thinner 380s are about the most I can carry easily. For dockers and others with larger pockets and/or a pocket holster (good idea in particular for a Glock) then larger "9mm" class guns fit ok (in your case having the same mags could in theory be a positive, however, doubt it is a primary need ;-).

Lastly what is allowed by the place you work (i.e. if no back up guns then you need to make sure no one knows you have it ;-).

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I suppose I should go with the semi auto. My thought was that I should stick with a glock so I can use the same mags. I'm not sure where the best place to conceal it would be though. It seems that pocket carry might be the best choice. We are allowed to have back up guns btw

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Revolvers are easy to clean and are an excellent back up gun or primary. Theyre easy to take care of, also a revolver will never jam. If the first round doesn't fire, keep squeezing the trigger.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Taurus 709 Slim in a tuckable holster. I have carried it at 3:00-4:00 and appendix carry at 11:00 (cross draw). Both are very comfortable. The manual safety eases my mind for the appendix carry. I would not carry a Glock there, though.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis

Do you work alone or in a team? If you are in a team, what does your support carry for primary and back ups? The dynamics here are crucial in a team environment. Can you toss each other a BUG in a fight that will accept each other's magazines if someone loses their weapon or it malfunctions? Familiarity with the manual of arms across the group? Something to consider.

It also nice to be able to feed both weapons you carry from the same magazines in case of malfunctions etc. Makes carrying extra ammo easier too. That said, its hard to beat the reliability and concealment of a j frame.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah I suppose I should go with the semi auto. My thought was that I should stick with a glock so I can use the same mags. ...

Sounds like you already know part of the answer to your question. :)

All good reasons why a G27 should be strongly considered unless you absolutely have no where/way to carry/conceal it.

Only then would I consider something smaller (if forced to), and even then I'd try to stay in caliber if at all possible.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

If you like the 22, you'll like the 27. You probably won't like it in your pocket, though, its large for that. A good ankle rig or, if you wear a vest, a hidden vest holster would be my suggestion.

Looks like you answered your own question. :D

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The G27 makes sense because of the ability to use your G22 mags. But, its not that light fully loaded. Check out the Kahr CM/PMs as well as the Ruger LCP. If your interested in a revolver, the S&W 642 might fit the bill.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I'd go with a second G22 or a G23. G27 at the smallest.

You can get a pouch for the front or side of your body armor that will easily conceal a G22 or G23 under your uniform short.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

Lots and lots of good options out there, you have to narrow it down more then handle your top 3 and if at all possible shoot them.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    If you are mobile, walking around, etc. some of the mentioned options are good. If you are stationary [bank, store, office, nursing home, hospital, etc.] a good 12 ga. shotgun would be my choice.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Look into the Sig P938. It's smaller than the G26 and has a safety which I would prefer on a ankle or pocket gun.

Top Bottom