• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    Excellent! This gives me some places to start...I have a 10/22 myself, so I am very familiar with that gun. My concern was that the boys still have a hard time getting their arms around the stock. I'll look into the adjustable stock option for that. Since we already have a 10/22, I'm inclined to go a different route for variety. Definitely some great ideas to take to the lgs. Thank you!
    I went with a ruger tactical .22, it has an adjustable Ar type adjustable stock

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Excellent! This gives me some places to start...I have a 10/22 myself, so I am very familiar with that gun. My concern was that the boys still have a hard time getting their arms around the stock. I'll look into the adjustable stock option for that. Since we already have a 10/22, I'm inclined to go a different route for variety. Definitely some great ideas to take to the lgs. Thank you!

ibe got the axiom stock on mine. Works very well for little arms. And doesn't break the bank either.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    For my (at the time 9yr old) Daughter, I have my dad's old single shot 22 that he got when he was around 8 and a Ruger 10/22, both of them were "too heavy" for her. So I took her to the gun shop to try out different ones. I ended up getting her the M&P 15-22 for 3 different reasons. It is super light, It has the rail so I started her out on a red dot sight so she could hit things. (She quickly moved up to flip up sights) And the other reason I got the 15-22 was due to the collapsible stock, so it grows with her, and Adults can shoot it as well.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I am a big fan of starting with a single shot bolt action .22. My first was a Marlin 15Y I got for Christmas 33 years ago, which I passed on to my 8 year old son last year.

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    I am a big fan of starting with a single shot bolt action .22. My first was a Marlin 15Y I got for Christmas 33 years ago, which I passed on to my 8 year old son last year.

I think a bolt action is a great place to start too. I have several 10/22's. My first 10/22 (first gun) came at age 12. I thought about doing the same with my kids, but ended up with a Savage Cub. It's an awesome little bolt action with an accutrigger. I started them with irons and eventually installed a low cost scope. I've thought about selling it several times, but $10 says I'd regret it once I'm older and little ones come around again.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I started my sons out with Cricket 22LR bolt action rifles. Simple, but they thought they had just been sniper rifles for their birthday.

I did the same thing for my son...Cricket .22lr with the polymer stock. My son was 8 at the time and he could not handle my older 22" Marlin 60. Too heavy and to large. The Cricket was small enough & light enough that it worked perfectly. The stock fit him well and it was so light he could handle it easily. And I got it for $109.

I preferred having the single shot as he slows down and works on his fundamentals. Now that he is almost 11, he can handle my Marlin better. But he likes to rapid fire it and finds it boring if I make him slow down. For some reason he does not find the Cricket boring since it is naturally slower due to being a single shot bolt gun. I also believe that although they are primitive, the peep sights that come on the Cricket are much easier for him to use.

We often setup a row of old pop cans filled with water on a 2x4 at 25 yards. With only iron sights, my son will usually hit 8 to 10 of 10 on the first shot for each can. This year we are going to move it to 50 yards and see what he can do. He LOVES doing that and has been looking forward to winter being over so we can go out again.

Strange thing is, I love shooting that little bolt gun too! And I can tell you that little inexpensive gun is darn accurate. It always puts them where I aim them without fail.

Overall, I am impressed with the little Cricket and I recommend them as an option. However, as many have noted in this thread, there are several other good rifles that fit into your price range as well.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Have you thought about getting a Chiappa Little Badger? It's a single shot rifle that is very light. It comes with some rails to mount a red dot too. It's great for storing too since it can almost fold in half. This is all for under $200 at most shops.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I bought my son a Henry Youth Golden Boy for his first rifle. It will be a bear to handle when he is younger, but it is something he will have forever. I plan on buying a Cricket for him to plink with until he is strong enough to handle the Henry.

We have a 13 month old and a (almost) 2 month old. I will most certainly be giving them the exact same rifles, as I don't need to hear them comparing who has the better gun.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think a 10/22 like a lot of the guys are saying would be good. I also think that getting him one set up like an AR would be great because then he will be ready for a "real one" soon enough. You could also think about a 22 pistol of some sort depending on when you want to start him on those.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I really like the Cricket, my youngest son just bought one for one of his grandchildren he is raising. It is a inexpensive gun that really fits a child well. It is also one of the safer firearms to train with as it is a single shot so if the child gets excited after shooting and waves the rifle around it cannot fire a second round. (I know we all train our children for safe use of firearms but a young child can forget when excited, especially his/her first few outings.)

I don't like the idea of "passing down" firearms as my children really value their first gun. My middle son (near 50 now) is in process of having his Mossberg 410 professionally restored. He has several fairly valuable firearms ~ a collection of Henrys, S&W's including a 50 S&W mag., AKs, SKS's and Beretta's) but says the .410 is most dear to him!

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Gonna have to cast a vote for a Marlin 795. When I squirrel hunt my 10/22 and Henry both stay at home. That Marlin is very inexpensive, and very light weight. I shoot CCI Mini-Mags and its crazy accurate. At 25 to 30 yards, I can cover 10 shots with a quarter. Very inexpensive...would make a great first rifle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom