• ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    What have you shot? Handled?

In a fighting gun, I always recommend a Glock 19, but it's a pretty personal decision. Get your hands on as many guns you can to see what fits you. Glock, XD, M&P, etc will all do you fine, and some have external safeties (which, in all honesty, I don't see a need for)

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Well, if you are talking about an external safety, that makes it a little tougher. I would recommend a Kahr PM9 (a little more than $500) or perhaps a Glock 19/23 or Glock 26/27. None of those have an external safety, but in a proper holster their internal safeties make them very safe to carry.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Any suggestions for a compact or sub compact 9mm handgun. I would like it to have a safety so I can feel better about toting it around ready to rip. Somewhere in the under 500 dollar range.

I'd look at a Glock 26 or XD 9mm.
    Safety, as long as you keep it in its holster, safety is on.

xd9301.gif

glock26.jpg

I have the G27 with is the .40 version and love it.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    :yesway: +1
    I would recommend a Kahr PM9

I love my PM9 its large compared to other pocket guns but extremely easy to cc in a IWB holster. I carry it everywhere in just about any clothing easily.

I also agree that you should shoot as many different make and models as you can get your hands on and make an informed decision on your own findings.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have tried several compact/subcompact 9mm's and have settled on the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c as my EDC weapon. I recently traded my Glock 19 because I actually shoot my 9c better and it is easier to carry. (Not bashing the G19 at all, it is a fantastic weapon). The 9c works very well for me. I have heard good things about the Springfield XD Subcompact but have not shot one.

Like someone stated above, different guns seem to be better suited to different people so your best bet is to get your hands on as many as you can and try them and see what works best for you.

Also, I'm not a fan of external safeties on these type of pistols.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Walther PPS

I loved the thinness of the PPS. I was extremely excited about it until I took it to the range. Absolutely worst (most painful) trigger I have ever experienced on a gun. I know this isn't a range gun, but wow that thing was all over the place. Not nearly as accurate as my 9c, almost half the capacity, and only marginally easier to conceal. The sacrifices needed to have such a thin 9mm were not worth it for me.

However, there are people that do very well with them, so maybe it was just me or I didn't give it enough of a chance :dunno:

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    have a glock 30 and the ket tec 380. None of these has an external, and while i plan on carrying the glock 30 I will want a smaller weapon to carry around in the summer months. To be honest I'm not 100 comfortable with the trigger safety in the glock. If im going to walk around condition 1 i would feel a little better knowing in not going to shoot myself in the crotch.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    have a glock 30 and the ket tec 380. None of these has an external, and while i plan on carrying the glock 30 I will want a smaller weapon to carry around in the summer months. To be honest I'm not 100 comfortable with the trigger safety in the glock. If im going to walk around condition 1 i would feel a little better knowing in not going to shoot myself in the crotch.

As long as you have a holster that properly covers the trigger guard you have nothing to worry about. I used tobe the same, afraid to carry pistol with one in the pipe but once you do it a while you become much more comfortable with it. All the external safety is going to do is add one more step that you have to take if you actually have to get the thing out and use it.

If size is the issue, your going to need to go with something like a PF-9 or PM9 if you need something smaller to carry in the summer. I would think that Glock 30 would carry fine for a summer carry. You have a P3AT which is a great summer option when you can't carry your Glock. I went through all this and finally realized that I wasn't going to find anything smaller than my 9c that I liked to carry on my hip. My LCP in my pocket is the only other option for me.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Any suggestions for a compact or sub compact 9mm handgun. I would like it to have a safety so I can feel better about toting it around ready to rip. Somewhere in the under 500 dollar range.

Taurus has a new 9mm in the 800 series format call the 809, a sa/da that's hammer fired with a external safety/decocker and should be priced under the 475.00 mark.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Plan on getting one myself when funds are available.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think both the Glock 19 and M&P Compact are perfectly sized for carry guns. We've owned both, both perform perfectly. I prefer the M&P simply because it feels better in my hands (actually, it feels great in my hands) and it was more accurate. The M&P can be had with an external safety.

Can't go wrong with either. I like them because they are easier to shoot well than smaller subcompact guns, while being easier to conceal (quiet easy, for either gun) than full sized guns.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I went with the Glock 26 for CC. It was right at $500 and worth every cent for me. FOR ME is the key words here. You need to get as many in your hands as you can. I have a friend that has a Kahr .40 cal and he don't care for my Glock because he has small hands. Guns are like gloves you have to get one that fits. good luck.

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I like the XD Compact. It has the trigger safety like a Glock and the grip safety like a 1911. But if you are looking for one with a switch or lever type safety, I like the Magnum Research - Baby Eagle. I have a full size Baby, an XD 9mm Compact, and two full size XDm 9mms. They are all cool.

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    I carry a S&W M&P 9c in a Don Hume IWB. I purchased it a PSS in I think February for right at $530 out the door. Shoots great and has very low recoil for quick follow up shots.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    When I was looking for a ccw I was looking for the exact same things you are now.. Now we know a Glock will not work if you want the external safety. I bought a Taurus PT111 Millenium and could not be happier. It has the external safety it is very very light and it holds 12+1.. Mine came very accurate out of the box but just incase it does not, it does have adjustable sights. I will probably be putting some Trijicon night sights on mine.. Other than that it will stay exacty how it came in the box... It comes with 2 12 round mags a cleaning rod and keys to lock the pistol totaly out if you want to.. I paid $350. I think that is very inexpensive for a very reliable acurate compact that will go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You really need to shoot an M&P. Like most, you will find that the ergonomics are just plain better then most. It just feels right.

You can get an M&P with or without the external safety... I recommend without.

This is a picture of the M&P40c with a thumb safety, which shares the same platform with the M&P9c.

mp40cfi5.jpg

Top Bottom