• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I should have put this under the Ruck thread, but oh well.

I forgot to ask for suggestions on hydration carriers (I use a camel-back at the moment but i really don't want to dump a lot of money into name brand stuff unless there is a clear advantage over other brands)

and wet weather gear (jackets and/or bottoms)

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Rain gear is the constant problem for outdoors enthusiasts. It's a gore text non-breathable usgi type, or something else (lighter) with a dwr coating.

i like the marmot precip for a nicely priced jacket with pit zips. The USGI model would be better for continual use, but is huge and heavy.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've had other types of hydration carriers, but I keep coming back to CamelBak. Perhaps it's their modular parts or perhaps it's the wide variety of maintenance accessories available. There are certainly cheaper ways to carry water, if you're after "cheap" instead of "quality" and "lasts a long time."

I've got a couple of options for wet weather gear. For warm/hot weather, I have both ponchos (double as shelter) and lightweight Frog Togs rain suits. For colder weather, I've found that popular brand hunting outfits are cheaper and quieter than surplus-issue last generation military wet weather gear. The colors aren't as stylish (unless you're a hunter, I suppose), but unless you're preparing to invest big bucks in the current military 7-layer clothing systems.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I haven't used any thing but ponchos of various types since 1971. Gotta love the being able to improvise a shelter and if you buy big enough, they can be real friendly to a ruck that otherwise would get soaked.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Personally, I find ponchos a bit restrictive and awkward at times - especially when using a military poncho while carrying a pack. I definitely like them for their flexible emergency shelter capabilities, though. Ordinarily I won't worry too much about getting wet from the waist down, but in a survival situation, getting soaked and not being able to dry off might be a deadly issue, so I prefer a rainsuit, when I can conveniently carry one.

Top Bottom