• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I know this is a hard request, but I just want to throw it out there. I will be graduating from law school in a couple of weeks. My family has basically existed without my presence most of the four years I've been in school. My wife has done all the practices, appointments, night outs, etc. My kids have gone without me being there for karate graduations and other school events.

Besides putting everything and everyone on the back burner after I graduate and dedicating my time to them, I would also like to get each of them a gift of appreciation. What would you suggest?

- 8 year old son (typical boy)
    - 13 year old daughter (likes karate, reading, robotics, and traveling)
    - wife (likes techie stuff, travel, but not a shopper)

I picked up a XBox360 for my son last night, so he'll be happy with that, but that may be more of a family gift. What do you think? Oh yeah, they are not into anything gun related. :D

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i would say take them all out camping or something like that where you can get some quality time together. i am willing to bet they would like that better than anything.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I think you and your family are well overdue for a family vacation somewhere warm near an ocean. We prefer Hilton Head Island, SC as of late because we can either choose to drive or fly; however, with our new daughter, we choose to drive.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    make dinner for your wife evey chance you get. take your son to all the the cool places you went when you were a kid. take you daughter to lunch and listen to all her gossip, boy trouble, and forgive for the dumb things she will do every chance you get. congrates and let them know how much you apreacate them not hating you for not being there. you lovem showem

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'd 2nd the advice of going to Disney, or another very memorable family vacation. If you buy them something material, they will certainly love it at first, but that will fade over time. The memories of a family vacatoin will last forever.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    If you want to do a family thing, then its vacation time somewhere they'd all enjoy whether you like it or not.

If you're looking at individual gifts, I'd suggest something different and out of the ordinary for each. For your wife maybe a full day at a spa. For your daughter you're going to have to specify if she's full blown tomboy or girlish with tomboy tendencies. For your son, may I suggest a remote controlled vehicle of some sort that has to be built so you can have some quality father/son time building and then destroying it and then rebuilding.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you want to make it more of a gift event than a vacation I've done this before with great success. Propose it as a regular vacation (example Disney) and take tons of pictures. (I know you do that already) After the Vacation take the time to surprise them by making "scrap books". They could each get one with the pics of them and dad or at least photos with that person as the main focus, and there could be a family one also. This presentation after the event and its ability to help them see the bigger picture rather than the fun their having right in front of them really helps them see you thanking them for the time they sacrificed. With younger kids it helps to review the memories (over time) so that they better appreciate how much family time contributed to the fun (in other words the mouse doesn't get all the credit). They often see the rides and other things as the fun, they feel the family time but without encouragement they don't appreciate how significant it was to the overall experience as well as we do. The gift scrap book helps them develop that over time.
    Sorry this was written in a hurry, the thought and application of this is cool but I have to go for now.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I know this is a hard request, but I just want to throw it out there. I will be graduating from law school in a couple of weeks. My family has basically existed without my presence most of the four years I've been in school. My wife has done all the practices, appointments, night outs, etc. My kids have gone without me being there for karate graduations and other school events.

Besides putting everything and everyone on the back burner after I graduate and dedicating my time to them, I would also like to get each of them a gift of appreciation. What would you suggest?

- 8 year old son (typical boy)
    - 13 year old daughter (likes karate, reading, robotics, and traveling)
    - wife (likes techie stuff, travel, but not a shopper)

I picked up a XBox360 for my son last night, so he'll be happy with that, but that may be more of a family gift. What do you think? Oh yeah, they are not into anything gun related. :D

congrats buddy! It is always a relief to get all those final projects and tests over with. Just think, no more formal education, ever :D I think everyone is on the right track.

I agree with the family time. If it is material, make sure it is something they won't outgrow in a year or two.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I like the idea of a family vacation, but this summer is going to be crazy for us. My daughter is going to Florida with her aunt; my wife and kids are going to NC to visit her family; I may have to go to Ghana for a couple of weeks and to San Francisco for a conference.

Is there anywhere close to do a three-day mini-vacation? Man, this sounded much easier just having to go and buy a few things. :(

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I like the idea of a family vacation, but this summer is going to be crazy for us. My daughter is going to Florida with her aunt; my wife and kids are going to NC to visit her family; I may have to go to Ghana for a couple of weeks and to San Francisco for a conference.

Is there anywhere close to do a three-day mini-vacation? Man, this sounded much easier just having to go and buy a few things. :(

Check out the Wilderness Resort in the Wisconsin Dell's. My family spends 3 nights there every year.

Wilderness Waterpark Resort in Wisconsin Dells | www.wildernessresort.com

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood

You could do a weekend at Holiday World or Kings Island(if your kids/wife like that kind of stuff).

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Brown County State Park's Abe Martin lodge is a nice 3-day weekend trip. There is an indoor pool with good water slide, lazy river, etc. Plus hiking, biking, etc. Good old fashioned family fun.

Plus, the restaurant has GREAT food!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Material things are nice when new but eventually break, go out of style or just get dated. Spend some time with your family and enjoy yourselves. A mini trip to Chicago for 3 days of shopping, dining and sightseeing would give you some great memories. If you want to go somewhere more gun friendly try Cedar Point or Kings Island in Ohio. If you really want to blow a ton of $$ go to the Bahamas on a 3 day cruise out of Florida. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :yesway:

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    May I suggest your time. Give back some of your time that you missed while going to school. What ever activity or vacation or family event but give back your time to the family cause they deserve it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not really a present, but I would suggest weekly one on one time with each of them. I used to let them suggest what they wanted to do and just the two of us would go for a few hours...

EDIT: see what happens when I don't read all the replies? Someone already suggested it. Oh well...

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Congrads on your law school. Girls are tuff to buy for but I bet your son would enjoy an indoor/ outdoor rc helicoptor. Eflite makes some really nice ones now. Small enough to fly inside and full control. Good luck.:patriot:

Top Bottom