• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Congratulations on finishing law school, Que. I would agree with most everyone here, that time together would be the best gift you could give your family. The Upper Peninsula of MI is fun. Quaint old towns, good golfing, lots of stuff to see, water activities (depending on when you go, I am assuming summer). IF you go late enough, you have to get Michigan peaches. Yum!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Is there anywhere close to do a three-day mini-vacation? Man, this sounded much easier just having to go and buy a few things. :(

I give you my two secret weapons for short vacations, I have been saving these for the next time I screw up and need to make it up to my fiance. Either one can be done in 3-4, and for less than $1200.

First: the Wilds I have heard a ton of great things about this place, and it would be someplace I think the kids would enjoy. It is unique, and since it isnt focused around rides and other distractions, it would make for good family time.

Second: Take a train to Niagara Falls. Stay in one of the nicer hotels overlooking the falls, and do something like Maid of the Mist, and the botanical gardens. It may not seem like a vacation that can easily be condensed, but it is. Two days for travel, two days at the falls. Going by train you can spend more time together and forgo the headache of driving for hours on end.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Perhaps you should ask your family?? :dunno:
    Maybe make a wonderful dinner and thank them all for being sooo supportive. During dinner tell them you would love to do something special with each of them or all of them together, to thank them for supporting you (kind of like granting them each a wish). Give them a few days to make a list of possibilities and then make another dinner where you guys discuss it as a family.:twocents:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Que: When our daughter was 13 we gave her a set of pearls. Now that may seem extreme for a child that age, but we did it in sections(six months). We gave her a small pearl necklace, earrings, braclet, and ring. Part was for Christmas, then her birthday, and at last we gave her the pearl ring for her Confirmation. She's 25 now and still wears them at least once or twice a week. This type of jewlery(classic) will last forever and she will always know her Daddy gave them to her. Take her out for a special night out with Dad, kinda like a date night, treat her like you expect some young man to treat her when she is older. This way she will have someone to compare them too. So it's a double win for you.

You're wife's not a shopper, so is she a practical gift person. I am that way, so my husband gives me things that I want/need but try to get by with the old ones for as long as possible. Would she enjoy getting a kitchen make over, bedroom make over, new livingroom furniture. You said she's a techie person, would she enjoy a kimball or Ipad? It's hard to pick a gift for someone you don't know their taste. Would she enjoy some time a lone with you.

I do like the idea about the scrape book or even putting your pictures from a mini vacation into a video with music to go along with it. Highlight videos are a big hit. PM me if you need some help/suggestion on a video, I've done lots of them.

Or I would second the ABE Lincoln Lodge at Brown County if you're thinking of a mini vacation. Brand new indoor water park to enjoy even if the weather isn't good.

Let us know what you decide and Congrats on making it through law school. Never would have figured you for a lawyer. You're too nice:D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom