• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I typically carry Glocks. I have a 17, 19, and 26. I use a Comp-tac MTAC when I carry IWB. Sometimes the 19 and 26 just don't conceal as well or as comfortably as I would like them to. Honestly, I much prefer OWB carry with my Serpa, but I know this is not the best choice for all situations. Because of this, I am considering maybe going with a single stack pistol for when I want to comfortably carry concealed. If Glock would just make a single stack pistol, my problems would be solved, but they can't seem to figure this out.

I do have a Keltec P32, but I would prefer something in a larger frame/caliber when provided the opportunity to carry it. I know there are a number of single stack 9mm choices out there, but being that I am a Glock user I don't know what a lot of the offerings from other manufacturers are.

I have been looking into the Kahr CM9 as it seems to be a reasonable size, and around what I am wanting to spend. I would prefer to stay away from Keltecs, and have also read that the Diamond Back 9s are hit/miss.

[STRIKE]Suggestions?[/STRIKE]

I decided to go with a Kahr CM9.

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I typically carry Glocks. I have a 17, 19, and 26. I use a Comp-tac MTAC when I carry IWB. Sometimes the 19 and 26 just don't conceal as well or as comfortably as I would like them to. Honestly, I much prefer OWB carry with my Serpa, but I know this is not the best choice for all situations. Because of this, I am considering maybe going with a single stack pistol for when I want to comfortably carry concealed. If Glock would just make a single stack pistol, my problems would be solved, but they can't seem to figure this out.

I do have a Keltec P32, but I would prefer something in a larger frame/caliber when provided the opportunity to carry it. I know there are a number of single stack 9mm choices out there, but being that I am a Glock user I don't know what a lot of the offerings from other manufacturers are.

I have been looking into the Kahr CM9 as it seems to be a reasonable size, and around what I am wanting to spend. I would prefer to stay away from Keltecs, and have also read that the Diamond Back 9s are hit/miss.

Suggestions?

Would be interested (on line or off line) of why you would like to pass on the 9mm Keltecs (friend is looking at one or a Kahr)?

If you are passing on Keltecs, the Diamond Back and not going 380 (i.e. Sig P238) then you are probably looking at a Kahr CM9 or PM9 ... or possible one of the compact 1911s (aka Officer Model) in 9mm - which can nearly toggle over to a few extra dollars for a "nice" one ;-)

Shadow_Main.jpg

My summary on pocket guns for a friend and myself (thought about upgrading from the Colt Pony to something smaller than the HK P7).
    Kahar PM9 / Kel Tech PF9 // Kel Tech PF11 / Sig P238
    Caliber: 9mm / 9mm // 9mm / 380 ACP
    Mag Capacity: 6+ / 7 // 10+ / 6
    Barrel: 3.1" / 3.1"// 3.1"/2.7"
    Length O/A: 5.42" // 5.85" / 5.6"/ 5.5"
    Height: 4.0" / 4.3" // 4.3" / 3.9"
    Width: .90" (slide) / 0.88" // 1" / 1.1"
    Weight: 14 oz / 12.7 oz // 14 oz / 15.2 oz

A few links:
    Kahr PM9 Black - Style # PM9094, Kahr Arms Pistols
    Kel Tec CNC
    Kel Tec CNC
    P238 Nitron®

Last edited:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Walther PPS is my choice, and I've owned a Kahr and Nano as well. The PPS trigger is short reset like the Glock, but the magazine release is different. I liked the Kahr and Nano, but those are very long trigger pulls.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Would be interested (on line or off line) of why you would like to pass on the 9mm Keltecs (friend is looking at one or a Kahr)?
    I have a KelTec P32. I like it, but I know there are other single stack, sub-compact 9mm options out there for about the same price as a Keltec that offer a better fit, finish, and end-user experience.

If you are passing on Keltecs, the Diamond Back and not going 380 (i.e. Sig P238) then you are probably looking at a Kahr CM9 or PM9 ... or possible one of the compact 1911s (aka Officer Model) in 9mm - which can nearly toggle over to a few extra dollars for a "nice" one ;-)
    I have a high preference to 9mm over .380. All of my carry pistols (and most of my pistols, for that matter) shoot 9mm. I do not want to add an additional caliber into the mix. I looked at the DB9s today, and they run about the same price as a Kahr. I have heard the DBs are hit/miss as to reliability and I don't want to buy myself into a new problem, especially one I probably won't shoot as much as my other pistols. I would hate for it to run well for the first 100 rounds, and then need to use it and the reliability issue take effect.

My summary on pocket guns for a friend and myself (thought about upgrading from the Colt Pony to something smaller than the HK P7).
    Kahr PM9 / Kel Tech PF9 // Kel Tec PF11 / Sig P238
    Caliber: 9mm / 9mm // 9mm / 380 ACP
    Mag Capacity: 6+ / 7 // 10+ / 6
    Barrel: 3.1" / 3.1"// 3.1"/2.7"
    Length O/A: 5.42" // 5.85" / 5.6"/ 5.5"
    Height: 4.0" / 4.3" // 4.3" / 3.9"
    Width: .90" (slide) / 0.88" // 1" / 1.1"
    Weight: 14 oz / 12.7 oz // 14 oz / 15.2 oz

A few links:
    Kahr PM9 Black - Style # PM9094, Kahr Arms Pistols
    Kel Tec CNC
    Kel Tec CNC
    P238 Nitron®

Not yet, I'm still doing some searching. Thanks for the link though, I did plan on heading down there and talking to Mark at some point about what he would suggest since he is a Glock user as well.

I found out earlier that the Shield is available in a 9mm, so it may be another option too.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have not shot the Shield. but have had the PM9/PF9/Nano and chose the Beretta Nano. Give it a look. Mine eats everything I have fed it.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Car Ramrod Thanks for the info and ideas.

Biggest driving point for a carry pistol to me is how you carry a gun, as in some type of carry locations the size is everything, For myself with dress slacks the Colt Pony was the upper end I could get away with in size and weight, similar for an angle carry had to go with an aluminum S&W J frame (was years ago before all the little 9mms).

Now days wearing docker type pants (check for a large front pocket and in once case wore the Columbia with two pockets on the right front ... the inner one with a zipper so could carry inside with clients ;-) I can fit in a S$W J frame (shrouded hammer), the Colt Pony with not issues and a few of the smaller 9mm like the Kahr .. but nothing any bigger in most pockets with out damage of the gun peaking out.

Now for a IWB under an tucked square cut shirt (I am too old for that now days), a jacket or sports coat ... can fit nearly anything in and tend to just carry the Sig P220 unless it is a 9mm year ;-). All that said if I am looking for a pocket carry where the last inch counts, for IWB carry the grip length counts as an inch or longer barrel fits nicely in the pants (always figured a 1911 Commander with an Officer's grip would work nicely), for OWB the barrel length needs to matched to your suit coat or jacket. For example the SIG P239 looks like an interesting IWB or OWB carry gun but at 6.6" OAL is getting too long (and high) for a pocket pistol ... in most pants.

Interesting thread and learner a little more with each posting ... Thanks

Terry A

Marksman
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    NWI
    I picked up a Kahr CM9 yesterday with a Glaco holster YAQ212 and I can put it on a belt and cant even tell a gun is on my side.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    We have a Sig 239 and I just picked up Walther PPS today at the show. The PPS is smaller and lighter and probably a better carry gun, but the 239 fits the hand much better and is a dream to shoot.
    You are welcome to shoot both, just give me a call.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have a glock 19 and I have been wanting a smaller 9mm for sometime. I am particularly waiting to see what the reviews are like for the new Sig P938 . I have also been looking at the Kahr CM 9 for a while, but it seems like every time I am about to buy something else is on the brink of being released that keeps me waiting.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Walther PPS is my choice, and I've owned a Kahr and Nano as well. The PPS trigger is short reset like the Glock, but the magazine release is different. I liked the Kahr and Nano, but those are very long trigger pulls.

+1

The PPS is a great gun. It's slim, reliable, and it shoots very accurately for its size.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    We have a Sig 239 and I just picked up Walther PPS today at the show. The PPS is smaller and lighter and probably a better carry gun, but the 239 fits the hand much better and is a dream to shoot.
    You are welcome to shoot both, just give me a call.
    I may have to do this, unless I find a deal on something and just go ahead and pull the trigger, so to speak.

I'm also going to try adjusting my MTAC for the umpteenth time and see if I can get it to ride a little better.

Top Bottom