• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    My fiance wants to learn how to carry and shoot a handgun.

Is there a good "starter" model that will feel and work reasonably close to a larger caliber gun? I'm looking for something without tons of recoil, but in the shape, size, and feel of a bigger carry weapon.

I haven't been in a gun store since I was a teenager when my Dad was alive, so I don't know where to go or how to even approach it. Not sure who's good and who's not around me

Are any of the Ruger .22LR pistols an economical option that would help teach good habits and feel for a gun?

I know Colt made some Ace models in the late 60s-early 70s (?), but the ones I've seen advertised seem aimed at collectors and are very expensive. I like the look and feel of 1911 models.

The Sig Mosquito is another one that I find when I look at their site, but I am not sure about their line.

Definitely open to suggestions

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The Sig Mosquito would definately fit your criteria.

What about a Walther P22?
    walther-p22.jpg

Or if you currently own a Glock, you could get the .22 conversion kit.

Here is what I personally start beginners out with:
    212sbrd.jpg

But, that doesn't exactly have the "feel" of a normal carry gun.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'd tell your lady to shop for a handgun just like she shops for shoes. Get her hands on all the handguns she can, and pursue the ones that feel "just right" (like shoes) to her. Do not get wrapped up in caliber or manufacturer conflicts. The caliber or who made it makes no difference if she's not proficient with it. If it doesn't "feel right" in HER hands she'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

PM sent

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    I'd tell your lady to shop for a handgun just like she shops for shoes. Get her hands on all the handguns she can, and pursue the ones that feel "just right" (like shoes) to her.

That's solid advice for anyone getting started with a handgun purchase.

I'm worried she'll be put off by the larger calibers I fire until she gets used to handling guns in general.
    I remember when I was a kid and fired my first .45ACP. :): Dad was right: probably better to start off small and work my way up.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    The Sig Mosquito would definately fit your criteria.

What about a Walther P22?
    walther-p22.jpg

Or if you currently own a Glock, you could get the .22 conversion kit.

Here is what I personally start beginners out with:
    212sbrd.jpg

But, that doesn't exactly have the "feel" of a normal carry gun.

The Walther is news to me. I'll have to check that one out.

Not a Glock owner, nor did I know about the conversion: how well do those fire (the conversions, that is)?

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Pete,

You may want her to consider a revolver. For some one who is first starting out a revolver is a simple point and shoot, no safety to worry about and no jams to contend with. As she gets used to shooting and is comfortable, then if she wants she can move to a pistol. Also have her put as many guns in here hands as she can, if you can shot them even better. The odds are a gun that is comfortable in the hands will be comfortable to shoot and will be more likely to be carried. The big thing is no matter what gun she ultimately chooses is to practice.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Instead of getting her a gun right off the bat. See if she will take a Women on Target class or an NRA Basic Pistol Class for women. The best thing about these classes are that there will a fairly large variety of guns for her to shoot. For $50 its a lot cheaper than buying a gun she may not like or will out grow quickly. After the classes you can rent some other guns to try.

Cornered Cat is a great website for women and beginners to read. Lots of great information about various guns, shooting, carrying, and handling them.

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Great advice here so far. How about getting her started off with a Glock 19 or 26. Recoil isn't so bad. .22 is always a great starter gun but obviously not really suitable for self defense. 22 conversion kit might be great.

I say just start her on a 9mm in what ever fits her hand well.

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Check out RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms for a lot of info on different .22lr weapons. Personally I've only read bad things about the mosquito. The p22 however (provided you get a new model, L serial with new mags) has been a great little gun so far. I took my girlfriend to look at guns and that was the one she liked the best. I am going to pick one up for myself at the next indy 1500 (usually ~250.00 there, i paid 270 at Plainfield Shooting for hers).

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Went to a gun store today and looked at their selection.

Counter guy I spoke with was very high on Sig Sauer. I started in the revolver area, but he nearly urged me to see the Sig semi-autos.

Not so sure about a gun with a non-metal frame. In general, their guns seem to get high ratings. The ones he showed me were a P220 DAK .45 ACP, P226 9mm, and P229 in .40 cal.

Took a Kimber catalog home...found they have a .22LR in a 1911 configuration.

Of course this has fueled my fire to find something new for myself. What fun! :spend:

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Went to a gun store today and looked at their selection.

Counter guy I spoke with was very high on Sig Sauer. I started in the revolver area, but he nearly urged me to see the Sig semi-autos.

Pete,

Don’t let others influence you to buy “thier gun of choice”. Don’t get me wrong Sig is a good gun and my wife carries a P245. My wife also has many years of shooting experience. You and your girl friend need to take your time and make sure she is comfortable with what she ultimately purchases. Remember the gun is for her and not for you. What you may like and be comfortable with may not be the same for her.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Oh, definitely. I'm cautious around anyone who has the opinion that one-size-fits-all or that only one option is the best for all purposes.

She's picking her gun: it's not my choice. I sidetracked a bit and considered another something for myself, thus the time spent with the Sigs.

Just got home from an absolutely wasted time at Gander Mountain. They only seem to have one guy at the counter, no matter what day or time I go in. He's not too interested in working, shall we say.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Make sure she shoots the gun before you buy. Pops has a fairly large rental selection if I'm not mistaken.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Like the others have said, the most important thing is that she holds the handgun and that it fits her hands, and she feels comfortable just holding it.

Pop's is a good idea because they can rent many pistols to try. Don't be suprised if she can't make up her mind immediately, she might be overwelmed with all the different makes and models.

Unless you are in a hurry, I would suggest waiting for the 1500 show in March. That way she will be able to see all variations and be able to hold them. Of course, that will really mess her mind up with the hundreds of variations available to hold. :)

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    We have the Fort Wayne Gun and Knife show in March...8-9, I believe. Haven't been to one before-no idea what to expect, but I have a feeling I'll be in attendance this year.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show is March 14,15, and 16. Although the cost of getting in is crazy ($3 parking and $9 entry), the show is usually pretty good, and about 3 or 4 times the size of the standard show. Yes you also have to add the cost of travel, but the show is big enough that you will need most of the day if you want to see everything. Go here for some info.

www.indy1500.com/

I believe if you sign up on their mailing list, they mail you a $1 off coupon. Better than nothing!
    You might have to copy and paste the link.

Top Bottom