• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'm in the market for a pistol safe to use near my bed.

-- What experiences and suggestions can you offer about brands and features?
    -- Who would you recommend?
    -- Who would you avoid?

Thank you!

lovemywoods

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This is the one I use: Gun Vault Standard Minivault Pistol Safe
    The picture doesn't show that it's lined, but it is. Make sure to change all the batteries once a year whether you think they need it or not.
    It's dang quick to access, with the key or the touch pad. I have one by my bed and one in my van. I coded them the same so there's no confusion within any stress.
    Highly recommended.:yesway:

P.S. The one linked at Gun Vaults by Hiram Abiff is the same one, but the link I have up there ^ is about $30 bucks less.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    This is the one I use: Gun Vault Standard Minivault Pistol Safe
    The picture doesn't show that it's lined, but it is. Make sure to change all the batteries once a year whether you think they need it or not.
    It's dang quick to access, with the key or the touch pad. I have one by my bed and one in my van. I coded them the same so there's no confusion within any stress.
    Highly recommended.:yesway:

P.S. The one linked at Gun Vaults by Hiram Abiff is the same one, but the link I have up there ^ is about $30 bucks less.

This is the one I have by my bed. MC Sport in Bloomington had some at a great price a month or two ago. Not sure if there are any left. Sturdy, quick access. Works great.

dmaguire1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Indianapolis NE Side
    smith wesson safe (Dont buy)

I have a smith and wesson safe under my bed. The safe is nice quality but with one major problem. If you accidently push the wrong code to unlock it will lock you out for 5 minutes.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have a smith and wesson safe under my bed. The safe is nice quality but with one major problem. If you accidently push the wrong code to unlock it will lock you out for 5 minutes.
    Don't you get a certain number of attempts? And even if you're "locked out", don't you have an over ride key?

dmaguire1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Indianapolis NE Side
    Don't you get a certain number of attempts? And even if you're "locked out", don't you have an over ride key?

Yes there is an over ride key. You get only one attempt. If you push the wrong button to start with then you are locked out. Needless to say I keep a key handy.

Another question I have is how do you power your safe? Wall or Battery? I understand that some require none.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yes there is an over ride key. You get only one attempt. If you push the wrong button to start with then you are locked out. Needless to say I keep a key handy.

Another question I have is how do you power your safe? Wall or Battery? I understand that some require none.
    Mine is electronic, so I use batteries and change them like clockwork.

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have a $25 Honeywell from WalMart.

Same here! It's a piece of junk that isn't going to stop a burglar from opening it up. It also isn't going to protect anything in the case of fire.

I really only have it for one purpose and that is to keep other people's kids from accidentally finding the gun, and for this it serves admirably.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Same here! It's a piece of junk that isn't going to stop a burglar from opening it up. It also isn't going to protect anything in the case of fire.

I really only have it for one purpose and that is to keep other people's kids from accidentally finding the gun, and for this it serves admirably.

Exactly. Mine is for my own kids, primarily.

It is there as another layer of accident prevention.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Mine is an old StackOn with touchpad and key.

I found it difficult to key in the numbers while blurry-eyed in the dark. It also made chirping noises when keying in the numbers.
    The good part was that it fit perfectly inside my nightstand, so it is hidden. I lagged it through the back of the nightstand to the wall.

I solved the noise and keying problems by simply leaving the doors to the nightstand and safe open when I'm in bed and closing them when I get up.

Top Bottom