• ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I understand PERFECTLY!!!

2009 - 2011 were the most painful years of my life. In 2009 it started with frequent headaches. Then around the beginning of 2010, it changed to migraines. One every month or so. Buy by May 2010, I was having 4-5 completely debilitating migraines a week.

I was out of the office a ton and even when I was there, I was still out of wack from the previous day. Mine would start within 30 minutes or so from waking up and last until the evening.

I went to a LOT of doctors in here in the NE part of the state. Most of them thought that I was making it up and it was a physiological issue. But it was real excruciating pain. I have completely blown out both of my knees through the years. Once so badly that my lower leg was turned 90 degrees to the right from my upper leg. That pain is only a fraction of what the migraines were. It was like someone had a giant balloon inside my head. And every time my heart would beat, that balloon would get so big it was crushing my brain inside my own skull.

I perfectly understand what they mean my "suicide headache". There were times I would think that I would not be upset at all if whatever I was going through killed me. But then I would think of what that would do to my wife and my son, and I would regret that thought. It was the most surreal experience I have been through. Because of the insane amount of pain that is so frequent, you want to die, but you don't want to die.....at the exact same time.

After getting nowhere with the local doctors, my manager at the time suggested Mayo Clinic. Apparently the wife of a co-worker had some real serious and puzzling issues that the local docs could not figure out. Mayo figured it out and got her back on track.

I went to Mayo and spent 3 1/2 weeks with non stop tests every single day.

No cancer, brain tumors, or any of the typical causes.

For some unknown reason, which Mayo still cannot explain to this day, my blood pressure was all messed up. But only during my migraines. Like beyond anything that should be possible / I should have been dead long ago messed up. I was testing at something like around 200 / 120 something. Can't remember the exact numbers now. I just remember the first time they tested me the used a machine and thought it was broken. When they got the same things using the old cuff pump and stethoscope, they were speechless.

Using some testing equipment strapped to me or several days, they found out that it was only while I was awake during those migraines. When I slept, my blood pressure was almost textbook perfect at something like 121 / 79. And awake, but without migraines was only slightly higher. But at that point, the migraines were more on than off. So they determined that it was not something physical that was causing the pressure spike. Otherwise, it would last all the time. They said it had to be a chemical problem, but they could not figure out what that was.

Apparently this is not all that uncommon. I was told they often see men in their 30's with no prior history in the same circumstances as me. And their solution was not all the fancy either. According to Mayo, they don't even know why for sure that this works. They have guesses, but they have not been able to scientifically prove them. They ended up putting me on a daily mega dose (I think that is what they called it) of Propranolol. It's my understanding it's a very old blood pressure med. I take 120mg each morning and another before bed. 240mg a day. I was told that it was not an immediate cure. But they found that frequently, especially after 6 months or so, most men in my situation see significant relief.

Unfortunately, they were not wrong on the timing. A quick fix would have been much better. But now, I don't care. I have been migraine free for 4 years now! Not a single migraine since 2011. On occasion I will have a regular headache. But NOTHING like those migraines. This experience has completely changed my perspective on pain and how it can mess with your whole life and your families life.

DO NOT GIVE UP looking for help and looking at 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinions. And there are several medical centers here in the US that could be options if needed. I highly recommend Mayo in Minnesota. Because they house all their centers there on one campus, they can schedule you in to get multiple tests done in a very short period of time and get you back home. There is also Carrick Brain Centers, John Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, and several other good facilities nationwide that can help.

Best wishes and hopes for you.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Paul, I've had headaches on occasion before nothing that bad. I'm just impressed that you thought of coming here while waiting on the drugs to kick in. When I have a headache, I don't want to think or read. Playing video games seems to be about the only thing that keeps my mind off of it without seeming to make it worse.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    I was diagnosed just last week with cluster migraines. My symptoms were similar to yours with added vision issues and vomiting. I was prescribed rizatriptan and heavy duty neproxen (aleve) 500mg. The rizatriptan knocks it out in 10-15 minutes and neproxen keeps it away. For those who replied that are using a triptan, look into rizatriptan. Mine is a dissolving tablet that works lightning quick.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Wow, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! I used to get what I assume were tension headaches/migraines. I would start to get a stiff neck with pain that would gradually wrap up the back of my head and turn into what I assume was a migraine. Not to compare my situation to yours, but the pain was so bad that i had to isolate myself to a cool, dark, and quiet room, typical of migraine sufferers. And there was always the nausea. I went to the ER once and got an injection in my keester, which helped drastically, although I don't remember what it was now. Thankfully, I rarely get them now, and if I do feel one coming on, I pop a Xanax (a low, .25 mg dose) which helps me relax and fall asleep. I sincerely hope and pray that you, as well as all the other folks with similar symptoms, find relief for your situation.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sounds like a type of migraine.
    Excedrin Migraine might help.
    Maybe see a neurologist.
    I tried an over the counter migraine med one time, it messed me up for than the migraine did. I don't recall which it was anymore. I've asked my doc about it and he asked me if I felt there was any need to look further into it, I told him not at this point. It only happens a couple 3 times a year or so. I remember reading on the med box I tried, it contained a bunch of caffeine, so if I can catch it in time I chug a Mountain Dew. The times I've been able to catch it and had access to a Mountain Dew, the migraine still happened, but wasn't as severe and I was able to function.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    There is no difference in Migraine Excedrin and the plain Excedrin= 250mg of Acetaminophen 250mg of aspirin and 65mg of caffeine. Per tablet.. It might dissolve into your system faster.. headache sufferer for years and Excedrin helps mine if caught early.
    Old timers remedy/relief Peppermint extract/oil. Apply from temple to temple across your forehead. Not while driving because your eyes will water, just a dab on a finger tip will do. Biofreeze helps sooth too.
    I had some one do acupressure therapy on me once... there are pressure points on the tips of your toes. Just have your wife/significant other stand on both feet (not on big toes) and slowly apply pressure with their feet and they move there weight side to side slowly until you find it.. might take a few attempts but it worked. Good luck with your relief.

I tried an over the counter migraine med one time, it messed me up for than the migraine did. I don't recall which it was anymore. I've asked my doc about it and he asked me if I felt there was any need to look further into it, I told him not at this point. It only happens a couple 3 times a year or so. I remember reading on the med box I tried, it contained a bunch of caffeine, so if I can catch it in time I chug a Mountain Dew. The times I've been able to catch it and had access to a Mountain Dew, the migraine still happened, but wasn't as severe and I was able to function.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I went through a period in my mid 30's where I got severe migraines..Nausea, seeing double and triple, etc...The only thing that would work was putting myself in complete darkness with no sound and after about a half hour it would subside..I went to the Doctor and as best as I remember he said there was not enough fluid in my skull and that my brain was "bumping" against my skull...He gave me some pills to only take when it happened...I did and they worked...He said it would eventually go away and it did..I have maybe had three since then....

To someone who has never experienced it it is hard to explain...I used to kind of scoff at the female employees I had whenever they would call in sick with a "migraine"...I would say, "It's a headache...You're fine.."

Needless to say I never did that again...I had no idea what a migraine was until then...It's no fun...I hope it all works out Paul...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have had those headaches since I can remember. Yes, you literally consider killing yourself. Imagine a good solid brain freeze, while chugging a slushie on a hot August day. Now realize that your brain freeze is going to last 18 to 24 hours while you helplessly pray for the strength to find your gun. Fortunately enough, by the time you are resolved and ready for deaths sweet relief you can no longer rise above your hands and knees.

I have not let one get above the irritation level in years. When I consider that a headache is looming near, I start with four ibuprofen. Add two more every twenty minutes until you feel it fade. (no matter how many it takes) If you don't knock it down quick enough, morphine won't help. Act quickly and 800mgs of ibuprofen is effective.

As I said I haven't had a bad one in years, but I still live in fear after all that time. I am NEVER farther than arms reach from ibuprofen. I go months now without ever taking any at all, but when I do take them I could take 12 to 14 of them in an hours time.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    I have had those headaches since I can remember. Yes, you literally consider killing yourself. Imagine a good solid brain freeze, while chugging a slushie on a hot August day. Now realize that your brain freeze is going to last 18 to 24 hours while you helplessly pray for the strength to find your gun. Fortunately enough, by the time you are resolved and ready for deaths sweet relief you can no longer rise above your hands and knees.

I have not let one get above the irritation level in years. When I consider that a headache is looming near, I start with four ibuprofen. Add two more every twenty minutes until you feel it fade. (no matter how many it takes) If you don't knock it down quick enough, morphine won't help. Act quickly and 800mgs of ibuprofen is effective.

As I said I haven't had a bad one in years, but I still live in fear after all that time. I am NEVER farther than arms reach from ibuprofen. I go months now without ever taking any at all, but when I do take them I could take 12 to 14 of them in an hours time.

That sounds like an incredibly bad idea and a GI bleed waiting to happen.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    That sounds like an incredibly bad idea and a GI bleed waiting to happen.

Recognized and agreed. Compare the danger of an eventual GI bleed to the danger of an immediate cranial bleed though. OP's description as a 'suicide headache" is not a joke or an exaggeration. This is pain that inspires fear, then desperation and finally resolution as you lay your head on the railroad tracks waiting for the double E.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Made the mistake of going out to dinner with my parents, took their car.
    Migraine started.
    No pills around.
    By the time we got home it's full blown stabbing pain, nausea

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ibu is also known as "Grunt" candy.
    I used to take 2-3x 800s at a time throughout the day. Not including all the Oxy, Vicodins and muscle relaxers.....
    (not all for the migraines)

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    Your body believes every word you say. When you say "Suicide Headache" how does your body respond?

I am a big fan of the inner smile. Smile at your headache, and keep smiling at it until it smiles back.

This silly, simple process helps to open lines of communication between your mind, body, and spirit.

Are you brave enough to ask the big question?
    What positive purpose do the headaches serve in your life?
    How can you achieve the same purpose in a more functional way?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Your body believes every word you say. When you say "Suicide Headache" how does your body respond?

I am a big fan of the inner smile. Smile at your headache, and keep smiling at it until it smiles back.

This silly, simple process helps to open lines of communication between your mind, body, and spirit.

Are you brave enough to ask the big question?
    What positive purpose do the headaches serve in your life?
    How can you achieve the same purpose in a more functional way?

Been through stabbing pain while hunched over a toilet puking?

Maybe people going through surgery don't need to be put under.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Been through stabbing pain while hunched over a toilet puking?

Maybe people going through surgery don't need to be put under.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I have been in that situation hugging the porcelain throne. Spent years with those headaches on a regular basis...sometimes a couple a month & sometimes several a week. Nothing seemed to help once they started until I went thru the vomitting stage, then they would slowly subside and leave. Would take a day to recover. Thankfully things have gotten better now. Plus now have a prescription that taken at early onset seems to really help.

I have great sympathy for Paul and everyone else that endures and suffers from them. People that don't never can fully understand.

Last edited:

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I'm sorry you have to deal with that Paul. But as I was reading the OP I was thinking that you were going to say it was a diagnosis of shingles. I had a relative that went through that and it was described as suicide pain. Best wishes to you.

Top Bottom