• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I have looked and looked. Tired of looking and I'm hoping someone can steer me in a good direction. I'm looking for a good pair of hiking boots. Something that is water proof !and non-insulated. I have found a few with decent reviews but they are all made in China or Vietnam and I'm trying to find USA made if possible. Any ideas? Work boots are out due to killing my feet while walking through the woods.

Suggestions on Winter boots as well since I will need to replace mine finally.

Meyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    I have a pair of Vasque boots that are awesome. They are the Breeze hiking boots. I wear them with Merino wool Icebreaker socks in winter and they are very warm. OK in summer too.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Danner Recons. I use them for work. They work GREAT in summer and winter. They are waterproof and my feet stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I love love love them. They run about $300 but they are re-craftable...re-solable.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I will second the vasque boots but they are not made in the USA. I had a pair of the mid weight hikers for almost 10 years before
    my wife threw them away. Now I just have a light weight sneaker/cross trainer style. Comfortable and fairly warm but even they have some insulation in them. No one seems to buy ones with no insulation so you don't see lots of companies making them.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Danner boots are USA made and are of a very high quality. Danner boots are very easy to find locally too. Most of the large outdoor retailers sell them. :twocents:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I use New Balance hikers. I have some screwed up feet (from years of wearing cheap shoes). My foot doctor steered me to New Balance and I haven't looked back. Their hikers are waterproof; I wear them all year around. In the winter I wear merino wool socks and as long as I'm actively doing something (shoveling snow!) my feet don't get cold.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm also a fan of New Balance hikers. They are really comfortable, and they come in widths. I got some for our trip to Costa Rica, and those things survived soggy hikes in the bottom of the rainforest. These look good. I have bought from this vendor many times.
    New Balance 1569 - XMW1569BR - Men's Walking: Country

MOST New Balance shoes/boots are made in the USA, but you might have to do a little digging to see if the particular style you want is USA made.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am a big fan of the NewBalance. Not the ones you find in most stores, but the ones you get online. Zappos or shoebuy are great places to order from.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I was and still am a big fan of Danners,.....until I bought a pair of Solamon Quest 4D gtx boots. These are absolutely the most comfortable out of the box boots I have ever worn. They feel like pair of high top basketball shoes on my feet. Traction is great, they are waterproof, ankle support is excellent and I can comfortably run in them. Im guessing that they may be a little warm in the summer as I have only had them since Christmas, but they are hands down my favorite boots. I have a pair of Danner Combat hikers as well. They are pretty good boots, but the Solamon boots blow them out of the water in comfort.

Dirty Steve

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I bought a pair of Danners thinking that they were made in the U.S. when they arrived they were made in China so you have to watch.

Top Bottom