• ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I got picked for jury duty. :rockwoot:

I haven't been selected yet, but what should I expect at selection... and then what if I am selected?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    If my memory serves me. No weapons allowed, not even a pocket knife. You get shown a video on how jury duty is a civic responsibility. The judge welcomes you and talks briefly about the case then ask for connections to dismiss of jury. Then the first 12 are are interviewed and the rest go off into a separate room. The defense and offense pick the ones they don't want on the jury. A new group is pulled until they get enough to fill the jury. Snacks are provided, if you stay long enough they feed you lunch. Once they have enough the rest go home. If you are picked you are done for the year, if not they can call you back again and again.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Different counties work different ways. In Lake County you are called once. If they don't need you, you are done and your name goes back to the bottom of the list.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Bring a book. You sit in a big room with a lot of other people, fill out some paperwork, watch a video as mentioned above and sit around for a while. You may be assigned to one of several jury pools.

You may be called in for actual jury selection or you might be dismissed. When I was called in there were two cases on the docket. The defendants took last minute plea deals in both, and I was sent home before lunch.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I just got the stuff for US district Court (federal court juror). I had to fill out a form and now wait an see if they need me.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I had been summoned for US District Court several years ago. Filled out the form and showed up at the assigned date and time. During selection you sit in a jury box and the attorneys ask you a few simple questions, possibly related to what you wrote on the form. I remember one question on the form was to list any organizations you belong to. I had NRA listed. Turns out the case was about a felon in possession of a firearm. I can't remember if it was the prosecuting or defense attorney who asked if I was a member of the NRA. The guy sitting next to me whispered "your gone". He was very correct. I was one of the first ones told I can go.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If you don't want to be there then let them know during the interview process that you would make a juror. Tell them you have a gift of knowing if somebody is guilty just by looking at them. You will be on your way out and in the nearest gun shop before you know it.

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    I was picked for Federal Jury Duty a few years back. I was picked to be on the jury. It was a very good learning experience for me. I had to drive about 70 miles each way to get there. They would have put me up in a hotel if I wanted, but I opted to drive home each night. Trial lasted 3 days. Your place of employment has to pay your wages while there. My company deducted what I was paid by the government for being on the jury, and made up the difference for my regular wage.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Buddy at work got picked for Grand Jury at the Federal Court House in Hammond. Third Wednesday of every month, with the possibility of Thursday and Friday. For 16 months!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    CGpqGNV.jpg

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I got called up once and even made the jury. I answered all questions honestly during the jury selection and being an engineer and confirming that I would regard actual data/evidence altogether and see what it told me, I got picked. The trial only lasted a day and the accused was acquitted when the victim fingered someone else in the courthouse and it was obvious that the wrong person had been arrested. The guy fingered was the accused's buddy, hiding at the back of the courtroom! We all got dismissed and I always wondered if they ever arrested the guys buddy, or if he got away with it.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If you don't want to be there then let them know during the interview process that you would make a juror. Tell them you have a gift of knowing if somebody is guilty just by looking at them. You will be on your way out and in the nearest gun shop before you know it.

Easiest way is to just ignore the letter. In Evansville they send out a letter telling you to call, yada yada yada, and I have yet to meet someone who was actually served a summons. Letters sent thru the mail can be ignored, an actual summons not so much.

I would love to serve on a jury personally.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I got picked for jury duty. :rockwoot:

I haven't been selected yet, but what should I expect at selection... and then what if I am selected?

Congrats, my man! It's a shame that most of the people who can think themselves out of a wet paper bag choose to find ways to get out of jury duty. Those very same people will then complain about some criminal getting off in a jury trial.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I was picked for Federal Jury Duty a few years back. I was picked to be on the jury. It was a very good learning experience for me. I had to drive about 70 miles each way to get there. They would have put me up in a hotel if I wanted, but I opted to drive home each night. Trial lasted 3 days. Your place of employment has to pay your wages while there. My company deducted what I was paid by the government for being on the jury, and made up the difference for my regular wage.

Say what???? Your employer isn't required to pay your salary while your assigned to jury duty.. They do have to hold your job but pay??? Got called for jury duty and didn't get selected.. Thankfully.. But did get a fat check for around $13 from Morgan co.. From my work??? Nothing!!! Although I love our judicial process in this country I would rather make a paycheck to feed my family than lose $$$ in a jury pool..

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I sat voire dire for a case, but for some reason (heh heh) I wasn't picked to stay. They had to apply WD40 to my seat.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    I was picked for jury duty many years ago. The court room was full of prospective jurors. The lawyer was asking everyone that in a case like this the judge can order you to reverse your decision, do you have a problem with this?...all the lemmings said no....after they let go most all but about 10 people they called me and only needed one more juror ...same exact question but by now he wasn't even looking at the prospective juror. I said YES I have a problem with this. If the judge is unreasonable in his decision I have a problem with it. He stopped and looked at the judge, grinned and said OK, if the judge is reasonable in his decision do you have a problem with it..I said I guess not...in hindsight I wish I said yes, if the judge can do that just let him make the decision in the first place but I didn't...anyway, I was picked and afterwords glad I was. It was an enlightening experience. And that's a whole other story.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Congrats, my man! It's a shame that most of the people who can think themselves out of a wet paper bag choose to find ways to get out of jury duty. Those very same people will then complain about some criminal getting off in a jury trial.

Exactly this. ^^^ :yesway: Be proud to be chosen and hope that you can get picked.

I took a cane and a flashlight as rudimentary self defense tools.

Here is the video they will show you:

[video=youtube_share;8s5EiPodjd8]http://youtu.be/8s5EiPodjd8[/video]

On a side note;
    I received a check signed by county auditor Amy Gerstman, one of a few local Dems elected on the 2008 sweep who gained fame for felony theft of Monroe county and state funds for personal use. Quite humorous in this neighborhood. :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom