• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    been thinking about doing this for a while now and finally got the time and ambition today. started with my 5 year old para-ord slim hawg in black
    69c3cde1.jpg

definitely showing some wear and being my first 1911 when i got it of course it has the "idiot scratch" :rolleyes:
    stripped her down to the frame and tossed the parts i was working on in a plastic bowl and sprayed them with aircraft paint remover
    b9e53024.jpg

unfortunately the stripper didn't do nearly as well as i had hoped so i spent a lot of time on the buffing wheel with jewelers rouge doing my best not to launch parts across the garage. ended up looking something like this
    41f4cfd5.jpg

however as you can see the serrated area looks a bit different (i didn't take a before pic after polishing) but for that i taped off the entire slide except for the serrated area and sandblasted it in my blast cabinet, i think it looks pretty sweet personally! final product looks like this
    663c8430.jpg

YES, sadly for the moment the idiot scratch is still there, but i have a friend who has access to powdercoating at no charge so the next time he runs black i'm gonna have him do the frame for me
    b0744584.jpg

so whattaya think? special thanks to wild deuce for the use of his sight pusher and billyboyr6 for the inspiration https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/125202-pair_of_paras.html
    also got a set of rosewood grips coming soon and i'll update the pics when they get here.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Looks great!

Good job, with a little effort great things can happen. Just one FYI...be careful if you powder coat the frame. You can get it too thick on the mating surfaces between the slide and frame.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks great! :yesway:

Did you polish the top of the slide as well? I've read where some guys will come back and bead blast the top of the slide to knock down the glare that can come from shooting in bright sunlight.

My dad has a Springfield Stailess and the top of it is a matte finish for that same reason. There rest of the slide has a very nice luster to it.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I love it. Great job. On mine the stock grips were cocobolo wood painted black. Some of that aircraft stripper will take it off. Just pop the para emblem out first and a drop of epoxy will put them back in later. Looks great.

I traded both my paras off a while ago, and wish I still had the slim hawg. Maybe I'll just have to find another one. Now we have inspired each other. :D

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Looks great! :yesway:

Did you polish the top of the slide as well? I've read where some guys will come back and bead blast the top of the slide to knock down the glare that can come from shooting in bright sunlight.
    i didn't consider that actually, however, if it proves a problem i'll knock it down with some 1000 grit paper.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    You don't waste time! Looks good!

(Interested in knowing how you got that front sight moved.)

used a keyway from a camshaft i had laying around, it was steel but i wrapped it in tape, with the pressure needed to get the sight out it punched thru the tape and made a little scratch on the sight anyway, not bad tho. it's my EDC not a safe queen so some wear marks don't bother me too much

Top Bottom