• ...and so much more!
  • possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    In todays Sunday Star 4-7-2013 the following letter was printed;

There is no conceivable reason to think anyone should have “the right” to have military-style weapons to use in our communities. The Second Amendment was never intended to give civilians the capacity to shoot hundreds of bullets a minute under the false premise of “protecting themselves.”
    But I have a deal for you: If you really have the need to have access to these types of weapons and if you are really into killing people, Uncle Sam has a job for you. You can join the military, where there will be lots of guns to shoot. You will be happy because you can shoot your killing machines, and our communities will be safer and more peaceful; maybe there will be one less Newtown.
    Sen. Joe Donnelly and Sen. Dan Coats, please support background checks, gun trafficking legislation and, above all, an assault rifle ban.
    Linda Porter

I just mailed my response to the above letter, I hope they will print it.

This is in response to the letter posted in the Sunday April 7th edition titled, No right to military-style weapons by Linda Porter.

Ms. Porter needs only to look at history to see just how wrong she is. The second amendment grants, we the people military weapons.

Consider the case of United States vs. Miller.The U.S. vs. Miller case in 1939 was a direct attack on the constitutionality of the National Firearm Act of 1934. In this case, bootleggers Jack Miller and Frank Layton had been arrested for crossing state lines with an unregistered, sawed-off shotgun. The defendants proposed that the National Firearm Act of 1934 was a violation of the Second Amendment rights. The federal district court agreed with the defendants and quashed the indictment. The government appealed this ruling directly to the Supreme Court and was granted a hearing. One key event occurred at the hearing. Miller, Layton and their lawyers all failed to appear. Miller and Layton had disappeared. As a result, there was no presentation by their side.

The court declared: In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' has some reasonable relationship to the preservatio nor efficiency of a well-regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

The fact was that a sawed-off shotgun was commonly referred to as a 'trench gun' in World War I. But this knowledge was outside the scope of what the Supreme Court could use. In the end, the Supreme Court overturned the federal district court ruling, not because the Second Amendment was determined to be a collective right, but because the firearm in question was not a militia weapon.

So the Supreme Court, the law of the land, had declared that a non-military weapon was not covered by the second amendment therefore, a military style weapon must be covered under the second amendment, right? If not then what is covered?

The musket at the time the constitution was written was the military style weapon of its time and most every citizen owned one. Our founders were smart folks who knew guns as well as everything else in the world would advance so her reasoning does not hold water.

In case she or anyone else wants to use the incorrect excuse that the second amendment only applies to the militia let me add this, in Article I, section 8, clause16 of the constitution; To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Therefore the part of the second amendment that states; the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Therefore the right to own military style weapons must be for the people as a whole and not just for the militia. :patriot:

Last edited:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Woh! Now now, you used fact and reason to argue with a liberal. You have already lost on the grounds that they don't need them to make their argument. You should have said you needed them to protect your children as they play with puppies in the meadow. You know, surrounded by unicorns and rainbows.

Apparently, "Shall not be Infringed" means something else to liberals.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I agree with everything you said.. however, the lack of spacebar was a little difficult to read... (happens to me all the time when i'm typing fast)

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    You are spot-on. The writer of the original letter is obviously a left-wing liberal who hates the military and probably voted for BHO and Joe Donnely. The right to bear arms is historically rooted in making sure that citizens have the ability to protect themselves against the government, and as such, we need the same firepower that they might use against us.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Was not lack of spacebar:) was due to cut and paste, will look over and fix. Holy crap Batman, you were right about the spacing. I did not read after pasteing it here. The original copy was fine, sorry.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Typical rational rant and reasonable solution from the letter writer.

If you 2A boys and girls wanna play with "military style weapons" then join the military and leave the rest of us to our peaceful, government controlled, non crime ridden utopia. :rolleyes:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It won't get printed. Too much rambling. Get to the point quicker.

Maybe take out the background info about US v Miller and just leave the verdict and what it means.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Called the Star earlier this week to cancel my subscription of 15+ years after their "gun ownership is a privilege, not a right" letter publication.

It did give me a chance to speak to a customer rep.

She said, "oh, this is about gun control".

I told her it was about "progressive" nature of their "publication" that has become ever more clear over the past 4 years; erika smith's never ending rotation of "articles" on topics seemingly limited to mass transit, homosexuality, and race; the passing off of matt tully's editorials as "reporting" by publishing them outside of the op ed section; and danny "there has never been a problem for which more government is not the answer" crapenter.

The recent slant for gun control is simply the latest phase in it's clear bias.

I know the rag will not miss my small subscription revenue, but I also know I have no interest in supporting their crap with one cent.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Sorry Mrs. Porter you are what I like to call wrong. First and foremost you lack of even the most basic knowlege of the bill of rights is frightening. As you are clearly not aware the 2nd amendment was put in place as a limitation on government and in order ensure the liberty and freedom of the American person. Incidently assualt weapons are for the most part highly unobtainable for the average citizen. An assault weaopn if you must call it such is a weapon capable of firing in fully automatic or selective fire mode ie 3 round burst. Unfortunately you first amendment rights does not require you to a factaually based opinion. However I support your God given right to be an idiot. Finally there are several laws in place which would have stopped the Atrocity if they were adhered to. By the way do you know how many laws that animal broke?

Please do us all favor and get a little education before engaging your yap.

That would be my above response

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The gun grabber lefties are out in full force in that comment section. Go get 'em INGO! :xmad:

:ingo:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Ms Porter:

If you want to live in a society with out guns I highly suggest to select one of the many deserted island were you and your family can live, I guarantee you that will be no crime no guns no nothing (if you don't like this country's constitutional rights just go away and leave us alone).

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Sorry Mrs. Porter you are what I like to call wrong. First and foremost you lack of even the most basic knowlege of the bill of rights is frightening. As you are clearly not aware the 2nd amendment was put in place as a limitation on government and in order ensure the liberty and freedom of the American person. Incidently assualt weapons are for the most part highly unobtainable for the average citizen. An assault weaopn if you must call it such is a weapon capable of firing in fully automatic or selective fire mode ie 3 round burst. Unfortunately you first amendment rights does not require you to a factaually based opinion. However I support your God given right to be an idiot. Finally there are several laws in place which would have stopped the Atrocity if they were adhered to. By the way do you know how man laws that animal broke?

Please do us all favor and get a litle education before engaging your yap.

That would be my above response

What he said!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The second amendment grants, we the people military weapons.

Not trying to pick nits, but the 2A doesn't grant anything. It protects what you already have from the over-reaching fingers of the federal government (and, by extension, all local governments as well). That's why it's a Right and not a Privilege. At least, in theory, anyway.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    "But I have a deal for you: If you really have the need to have access to these types of weapons and if you are really into killing people, Uncle Sam has a job for you. You can join the military, where there will be lots of guns to shoot." Is it just me or do Reichsfurher Himmlers words flow better in the original German?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You see the effects of constant lying by the media and politicians. This writer likely doesn't even know what "military-style" means here. But is absolutely convinced that they don't belong on our "streets". I _wonder_ where that idea came from?

There is this fallacy that is being promoted that there is something unique, special, deadly, about "military-style" or "military-grade" firearms. As we know, none of the firearms that Sen. Feinstein has put on her "ban list" are actual military weapons. In almost all cases the armed forces both here and abroad use fully-automatic firearms. But these people, who in all likelihood have never handled or fired a firearm, didn't grow up around them, and have no idea what is or is not "military" simply parrot what they hear in the media. It doesn't matter if it's true, it only matter that it gets the message across.

Pistol grip = Bad bad military-style "assault weapon"
    Black plastic parts = Bad bad military-style "assault weapon"
    Detachable magazine = Bad bad military-style "assault weapon"
    Grenade launcher = Bad bad military-style "assault weapon"

You'll note in the letter that the writer says "can shoot hundreds of times per minute." No matter how hard I've tried, I can't put more than about 20 or so rounds on a target in a minute. Multiple targets? Probably not more than 10-15. Your mileage may vary but I doubt anyone here can do 100 rounds, much less "hundreds" in a minute.

This person is a lost cause, she's coming from a totally emotional position fueled by politicians and the media. The only thing we can do to combat the barrage of misinformation and outright lies is to continue to speak the truth, rationally and regularly.

Top Bottom