Super Blackhawk or 629 for deer hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I have killed quite a few deer with handguns, most being with a S&W 629. The S&W 629 is an awesome handgun and I have only one real issue (for hunting) that I will get into in a moment. I will never sell my 629... ever. That having been said, for hunting purposes, it will be replaced with a Ruger Blackhawk one day soon. Here is why, and it has nothing to do with the 629 not being an awesome weapon. I have had deer stop in their tracks 50 or more yards away as they were approaching as I even began to re-position the shinny, stainless gun in my hand. Deer can pick up even the slightest amount of light being reflected from the bright stainless steel. I have to keep the firearm hidden until I know that the deer is in a position where it cannot see me even remove my camo-gloved hand from covering it. I also prefer the heavier frame of the Ruger. I hand load all of my own ammo and I DO NOT go for the hottest load possible, but the 44 Mag is beefy no matter how you load it for hunting. SO, for those two reasons, I would give the mod to the Ruger Black Hawk. I would give the Ruger the nod for only the last reason for the Super Black Hawk.

Andy Cree

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I have a blackhawk hunter and have owned a couple smith 29. if your running a scope the ruger hunter is nice because ruger rings bolt on the barrel and u don't have to take ur rear sight off and the smith is not nearly as convenient to mount a scope on. The ruger is usually a little less expensive as well. they both shoot well. my ruger has the bisley grip which I believe is superior to the traditional blackhawk grip.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Even assuming that the MSRP on that were down in the $1100-$1200 range, that's not exactly the sort of gun that most people just plunk down for.

Yeah, Im ok with putting down ~$800, but Im not really looking to go for a 1.2k handgun...

That being said, I never considered the reflective finish on the S&W being an issue while hunting. All my hunting shotguns are either camo or wood, so I never thought about it before. Ill definitely take that into consideration.

I think Id love to go super blackhawk if I could figure out how to mount a red dot on it. I wish I could just throw some rails on it and call it a day. I much prefer the red dot over a scope, I dont plan on taking any 50yd+ shots with it.

Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    I have a super redhawk 7.5" and love it for deer hunting. Have a viper vortex Red dot on top. Very accurate and built to last.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yeah, Im ok with putting down ~$800, but Im not really looking to go for a 1.2k handgun...

That being said, I never considered the reflective finish on the S&W being an issue while hunting. All my hunting shotguns are either camo or wood, so I never thought about it before. Ill definitely take that into consideration.

I think Id love to go super blackhawk if I could figure out how to mount a red dot on it. I wish I could just throw some rails on it and call it a day. I much prefer the red dot over a scope, I dont plan on taking any 50yd+ shots with it.

I've already done it with my standard model Blackhawk .45 Colt:
    Ruger_Blackhawk_45_Colt.jpg

The mount pictured requires no gunsmithing, only a rear sight removal before you install the base.
    Yes, it also fits the Super Blackhawk.
    https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Scope-Mount-Ruger-Blackhawk/dp/B000KOQ3VG

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.

This is what I gave on my SBH Bisley.
    Weaver 48638 Base / Scope Mount for Ruger Blackhawk & Super Blackhawk - Black | eBay
    Solid mount.
    Same as oldpink's post above, just on ebay.

Top Bottom