Support your LGS: How hard am I supposed to try?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbzzz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2021
    Anderson
    All this talk of really late USPS shipments makes me hope that some mags I sent a guy in late January might still make it.

I'm not overly optimistic as the tracking said it was delivered within 4-5 days after I shipped it.

Never know as screwed up the USPS is!
    I have shipments coming to me from out of the country faster than shipments are making it 3 states over

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Made the effort driving 40 miles to Bobcat in Shelbyville this week, came home with a new Glock 9mm at pre-panic price, which is about $100 cheaper than the online vendors without adding the shipping and FFL.

Good LGS are still out there, but not many.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Made the effort driving 40 miles to Bobcat in Shelbyville this week, came home with a new Glock 9mm at pre-panic price, which is about $100 cheaper than the online vendors without adding the shipping and FFL.

Bobcat is so underrated. They are my favorite class 3 by a lot. Their gun rack generally always has something interesting

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Bobcat is so underrated. They are my favorite class 3 by a lot. Their gun rack generally always has something interesting
    I've known Kimball for at least 10 years. I made my first INGO ftf purchase from him at the Wendy's at I-74 & Post Rd years ago.

He does give a s*** about his reputation a really does make the effort to serve everybody the best way he can. Solid operator.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    today I stopped by a lgs they have not been there but maybe a year. I have wanted to stop by for a while just haven’t had time. They had a ok selection of guns and prices were good . they were very nice greeting me as I came in but here’s my issue they had ammo (9mm) $1 a round they joked about it . I know that they have to cover their overhead but that just seems like they are screwing everybody because they can . That does not make me want to spend my money there.
    Or am I being to hard on them?

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For those of you here in Indy, I have been going to The Outdoorsman Shop just into Johnson county on 135. They seem to be resisting inflating their prices ATM. Today my purchase was 100 rds of 115gn 9mm Winchester for 49.00, and one box of 40 cal Winchester for 32.00. I probably would have paid 50 for the .40 cal anywhere else if I could find it! Up until just a few weeks ago I could still get Wolf 7.62x39 for 5 bucks, they just now raised the price to 9.99, still not too bad considering the current market.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yikes, you're very patient. I applaud the effort to keep a local brick n mortar in business, but it seems they're not terribly interested in being helpful. At this point I'd probably be ordering it online.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If something has to be ordered, I'd rather do it myself. I'm all for supporting a local business, when they have what I want in stock. If not, I'll save them and myself trouble and just order it myself and save myself time and money, plus possibly a whole lot of frustration.

This is where I’m at as well. If I need something, I’ll shop locally and will occasionally hold off for a day or two if they say that whatever it is has already been ordered and should be in shortly. But, if I need it and they don’t have one on the shelf, I’ll most likely just order it myself.

Getting small parts seems to be a very casual thing for many shops. Their focus is on guns and the accessories are just what they do in the background.

I’ll give the LGS first shot but if I need it, I’ve found that just ordering it myself is faster.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I will say this, LGS are between a rock and a hard spot. They have no idea what the next batch of ammo will cost them.
    so they need to be prepared for the next increase. I know there are some who gouge, but they are also try8ing to stay in business! My wife and I own a Dump Truck Business and It worries me how far Diesel will go up with O'Biden and his anti-fossil fuel agenda! Trucking rates may have to go up to cover the increase!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is where I’m at as well. If I need something, I’ll shop locally and will occasionally hold off for a day or two if they say that whatever it is has already been ordered and should be in shortly. But, if I need it and they don’t have one on the shelf, I’ll most likely just order it myself.

Getting small parts seems to be a very casual thing for many shops. Their focus is on guns and the accessories are just what they do in the background.

I’ll give the LGS first shot but if I need it, I’ve found that just ordering it myself is faster.
    I am wondering if I am making a mistake waiting on USDS to get some Shield Plus' in next week. He said he would call me with a price when they come in. I'd like to support them. I'm a little worried they won't discount off of MSRP or even worse mark the price up over MSRP.

If they can't provide an acceptable price, I hope there is still one out there I can snag.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Went in to my LGS the other day. Was looking for some .44 mag ammo for my lever gun. I was planing on coming to the meet & shoot next weekend, and bringing my red dot equipped Rossi 92. Man, that thing has got to be the most fun gun I own to shoot. Problem is, my stash of ammo for it is very precious to me, and not all that big. Was gonna buy some to bring.

Well, The shop has a big back wall with racks that can hold probably 40 long guns or more. It's always been full from left to right. There was 2 in the entire rack. Nothing was behind the counter at all. The entire set of ammo shelves was empty. He did have a few handguns in the glass case. Took me about 30 seconds to say "Well, I guess you don't have any .44 mag ammo do you?"

"Got nothing." was the reply. "If you see the UPS truck, get in here quick, because I'll be sold out right after he leaves."

Checked in at 4 Guns in Lafayette too when I was down picking up fish fry supplies at GFS for the VFW... ZIP. They had 5.56, and 9mm. I did get a couple boxes of 6.5x55, but no .44 mag.

Probably won't be back for a while.

Probably won't be going to the shoot either. Not really in the "sharing" mood.

Funny story. I was bending down getting the 6.5x55 off the middle shelf at 4 Guns. There are two guys behind me. I hear one say "This is that stuff I told you about that goes through body armor."

I get up after they leave, turn around, and that's where the .380, and 9mm fmj was on the shelf.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Stopped by one in Greenwood yesterday for a Gun Broker transfer, very nice visit, very professional, while waiting for my FFL BATF approval, i looked around and spotted an open case of 165 gr .40 S&W, i grabbed three boxes and took them to the counter and whipped out my CC, only to find out they were $49.95 a box of 50 EA !
    I put them back, nice store visit though, nothing I needed or could afford though except the $20 FFL Transfer fee.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Stopped by one in Greenwood yesterday for a Gun Broker transfer, very nice visit, very professional, while waiting for my FFL BATF approval, i looked around and spotted an open case of 165 gr .40 S&W, i grabbed three boxes and took them to the counter and whipped out my CC, only to find out they were $49.95 a box of 50 EA !
    I put them back, nice store visit though, nothing I needed or could afford though except the $20 FFL Transfer fee.
    Was this USDS or elsewhere? Just curious.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Come to the shoot. I'll share. Shoot some of mine
    Noble of you, and thanks. I'll bring it. Been wanting to re-zero my Spanish Mauser scout rifle anyway. Had to get the scope mount redone when one of the rail bolts stripped. Probably bring my braced 10/22 charger takedown as well, and my red dot equipped No4 Mk1.

Mcdegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2020
    Gary, Indiana
    My LGS is the same way. I'm also all for supporting a local business, when they have what I want in stock. If its not in the store when you stop in, you might as well buy it elsewhere. And save yourself a whole lot of frustration because recently their customer service has been zero.
    I totally concur with @TheJeff their customer service sucks of recent.

Top Bottom